Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 2:03:57 AM EDT
I mean at least 2k for a single shoot bolt action and $7k for a semiauto? I know they are made stronger  than other rifles, but damn the price differention is huge!  Is it economies of scale, too few sold?

But damn that barrett is cool
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I think production is too low.  You're right otherwise.  The cost of raw materials isn't too much and even with three times the machining time they would be cheaper if more were made.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a novetly item, why does a porche cost so much?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
They're expensive because of the quality. Nobody is upset when a custom AR runs into the $2000 dollar range, but when a nice custom .50 BMG runs into the $5000 dollar range, they're over priced? The number of .50's produced is tiny. Oly probably built more AR's last year than Barrett built .50's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it true that the military classifies the .50 as light artillery?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
no.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
becouse they can get it
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a niche product.

They don't make a lot and have to recover the cost of tooling.  Also, they tend to be of better quality than your run-of-the-mill gun simply because they are such a specialized product.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, certainly the smaller number of 50s produced makes them much more pricey, but don't forget that a Barrett m82a1 (the one you've pictured) weighs 28.5 lbs (about 4 times as much material and weight as your average AR) and has to be machined and constructed to withstand 12,500 ft. lbs of energy generated in the chamber and exiting at the muzzle (about 8 times that of an AR).

Here's a pic from the Barrett site of an "exploded" m82a1, to show the constituent parts:

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Relative to the small numbers actually produced, I imagine .50 rifles would be real lawsuit magnets. Probably some of the money goes for insurance and lawyers.

And yes, the production being limited drives the price up.

But still...

I don't want to single out any one manufacturer, but a lot of these .50's are made out of tubing, stampings, simple "screw machine" parts, and commandeered military firearm components. To my eye, they look like they ought to be selling for about half the current prices, even considering the circumstances.

But what do I know?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Simple supply and demand.

Last I checked, many places have a waiting list which is a few months long for a new .50.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Regarding the small one or two man shops that are producing such rifles, never underestimate what another man's time is worth to them.  When Tony Rumore first introduced his fantastic uppers, I'm sure a lot of people balked at his $865 price tag.  It turns out that price was barely enough for him to break even, considering how much time and materials were required.  

I've had my own foray into manufacturing and it's a real eye opener.  Costs just seem to add up.  It's worse if you have to send anything out for work. Unless you're a machinist with experience in producing firearms, don't second guess the time and effort required to produce something.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top