Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2002 5:19:00 AM EDT
I have a very early A-2 Govt carbine. serial # between 100-115. probably 1st day production which might explain..Anyway, the manual that came with the weapon Revision C August 85, shows that the rear leaf for the rifle and carbine should be marked L for the long range and unmarked for the short range peep, also says that the front post should be square with 4 detents for rifle and round with 5 detents for the carbine, My rear is marked 0-2 for the short range leaf, and unmarked for the long range one, as is shown for the H-bar model, also the front post is the square 4 detent, which doesn't match what the manual says,,, Is this correct and the manual just hadn't been revised to show it, or is this just early production mistake, that hadn't been caught???
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
When changing models, companies will use left-over parts from older guns, making these transition guns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, even car companies early in the model run,, was just wondering if manual was wrong or what,,, anybody have a green label,, later serial numbered one... which front blade, and rear leaf does yours have?????
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Just contact Colt, they used to give their manuals away free. (safety you know) Ask them for an older manual.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Your Govt Carbine has the correct A2 sights for that model.  The manual you have is for the older sporter series.  Get a current 1984 or later dated maunual from Colt or get an M16A2 user's manual and it should have the correct method to mechanical zero your sights.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Torakan,, my manual is dated august 85, but maybe that is not late enough...
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Oops, I ment to say August 1986. Colt was still using the old style A1 sights on their regular sporters for awhile.  I dont know exactly when the sporters switched to the A2 uppers but I beleive the Govt Carbine had them from the start of production.  If you want a current M16A2 user's TM send me an e-mail and I'll send you one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top