Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2002 11:03:38 AM EDT
What are the main differences between the cast and forged lowers on AR's. Will one outlast the other and are there any disadvantages to each one. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
i cant remember which one does it but sometimes the mag wont slid into the magwell like its supposed to...  i remember this from awhile back in the magazines forum... not 100% sure if this is true or not.. just what i heard
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The main difference is that a forging is inherently stronger.  In the last 5 years or so, casting has come a long ways.

Now, is a casting strong enough?  Probably.  It depends on a lot of things like how the rifle is used and how the casting was performed.

The correctness of the dimensions probably won't be directly related to the base material.  It has a lot more to do with the company who made it.  Every company puts out sub-par stuff, even Colt.  You can never be sure an AR lower is in spec until you either measure it or swap some parts in/on it.

If you can wear out an AR lower, you're a brute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top