Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 1:18:57 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me anything about them? I am considering getting one for a Remington 700 PSS in .308. I am looking at the 4-14X56 (Generation 2 and 3 models). Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Great choice.  Go to www.riflescopes.com or www.samplelist.com  
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been meaning to post mine for sale for a while now, just haven't gotten around to it, but I have the Scope, bracket, and rings from the Springfield Armory 6x40 Govt. $99 scope deal, never mounted on my rifle.

I've heard mixed things on them in terms of reliability, and quality of the mount, and have really got my mind set on using the iron sights on my M1A, and spending some dough on an Aimpoint for my AR, but need to research further which one I want.

If you're interested, post your email here, or let me know and I can post my email address for you to respond to- I'd sell it for the $99, plus $7 for shipping and insurance.

Will be around till Sunday AM, then on business travel till the 10th of May, so if you don't read this post before Sunday and are interested, let me know after the 10th.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
ED_P, thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty sure on what model of scope and rings I am going to purchase. I would like the 4-14X56, but cannot decide if I want to pay the extra money for the illumination of a Generation 3 ($630 as opposed to $490 for the Generation 2 from SWFA). As for mounts, I am considering Badger Ordnance rings and bases. I would just like some input about Springfield Armory scopes before I make the plunge. I have always used Nikon Monarch scopes in the past. Anyone know what height Badger ordnance rings I need to clear a 56MM adjustable objective with flip up scope covers? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
ED_P: Contact me if you are still interested in selling the Springfield Armory Scope deal.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
M4Madness,
    I Have a Springfield Armory 4-14 1st gen. scope mounted on my Nat'l.Match M1-A. A quality and precision designed scope and more than you could possibly want without the "adjustable objective lens" whatever that means for a hundred bucks more. The hardest part was finding the Weaver rings for it. Paid 35.00 bucks for 'em once I found them at a local gunstore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a S.A. 4-14x56 3rd Gen with Gov. reticle on my Savage 10FP.  I bought it from SWFA's samplelist for about $500, can't remember exactly, it was about a year ago.  

I too have heard mixed reviews, but for my application it does great.  My local range only goes out to 300 yards, and at that distance it's clear as can be.  The rifle and scope combo took 3 deer this past winter ( 2 friends borrowed my rifle), all were shots were between 150-200 yards.  My friends absolutely loved that scope.  They found the Gov reticle to be very user friendly and fast for ranging.

I must say though, I never have used any of the other high dollar scopes, so I really can't compare it to them.  All I know is that I love mine, and it does me very well every time.

I've also heard that S.A.'s customer service is very good.  I remeber reading on Assaultweb a few people having problems with their older ones, and S.A. fixed 'em up right for free.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a setup like you're looking at.  Badger Ordnance rings and one piece base, SA 4-14x56 3rd Generation Gov't Reticle, all mounted on a PSS .308.

I love it, but I've only had a chance to shoot it at 200 yards.  I have a few targets here with 1/2" groups at that range, and a few with the 1" bulleye totally shot out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the 4-14x56,2nd generation with rangefinding recticle.To me,the rangefinding recticle was too much sh*t in my field of veiw.It's definately big and heavy.Optics were satisfactory.

I basically didn't like the rangefinding and the big(56mm)objective.I think you'd be better off with 44 or 50mm.For the same price or a few dollars more than the Springfield you can have a Leupold.

They are not bad scopes,I just think they are overpriced.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
SA scopes are Heavy. Repeat, freaking heavy. That's about it, it's on the same platform as Leupold and other european scopes IMO. You might also want to consider IOR valdada, a tad bit more expensive, but they are some pieces of work. Either way, you can't go wrong, and they work great for the 700 series. Try getting illuminated, even if you ain't gonna use it, i think its worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]
SA scopes are good medium priced scopes, you may find the bullet drop numbers annoying. To much clutter for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top