Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 7:38:11 PM EDT
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or its been asked a million times but what are the differences between using the larger or smaller aperture?  Which one should I sight my gun in for and at what range?  What range should I change from one to the other?  Thanks for the help.  By the way it is a 16in. Hbar w/ A3 upper and a detachable carry handle that I put together(mostly DPMS parts, if that helps).
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
A larger aperture is less accurate, but has a larger field of view for close ranges and quicker target requisition.

A smaller aperture is more accurate, but has a smaller field of view.  I have seen some so small it is hard to see through them at all.

Sight adjustment should be done with the smaller aperture because it will be more consistant.  When you change from one to the other is really a matter of preference and how much time you have.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Great answer Shadowblade...I am impressed.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The larger aperture is meant for "up to 300 yards".  In reality, Maybe 100....IN COMBAT.  As far as on the range, I always use the smaller aperture.  As was said, it is more accurate and in my mind easier to align on target with.  If you get any "blurring" with the front post in the small aperture, lick your thumb and pointer finger and wipe it on the front sight post.  Really, don't laugh, it works.  Well, laugh if you want to, but it works.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top