Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 7:15:45 PM EDT
tell me exactally what punch(es) i need to build a Kit gun. i mean EXACTALLY what punch(es). like exacatlly what its called, and exactally what size(s). a link to one for sale on brownells would be nice. when i search o get lost in a "sea -o- punches"

thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need drift pin punches up to the size of 5/32. You'll need roll pin starting punches up to 3/32. You might want the pin punch that does the bolt carrier release. Then again you might want actuall roll pin punches (they have little nubbs or nubbualls if you like.)
But mainly, you need a nice Hawaiian Punch
Build the damn rifle, and become a man like the rest of us.
Oh, you know hwat? Get their catalog. It has a page devoted to AR15/M-16 tools. www.brownells.com/GetACatalog/getacatalog.asp
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
For your first effort, buy a stripped receiver and a kit that has the upper assembled and headspaced (J&T, Model 1, Oly, etc.).  If you're careful, you can assemble the lower with a few punches and some basic tools.  I used a center punch as a roll pin punch to avoid slipping and scratching the finish.  Read the assembly instructions on this site and be sure to identify each piece of the lower kit.  

My first and only kit took about 4 hours and I went slow.  Even if you're not assembling a rifle from parts you procured from the ends of the earth, it's pretty satisfying and saves you some money.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
At the site below is a photo and list of the AR-15 Armorers Kit that Brownell's offers. The punches start with item #21. Read the desciptions and decide which tools you may need.
www.brownells.com/Product/productDetail.asp?Spec=&ProductID=080216000&CategoryID=0

coyote3
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
ar15.com/articles/article.html?Article=34

This is a step by step instruction manual for building a lower receiver.  It is at the "Articles" tab under "Manuals and Guides" at the top of the page.

I have built a few lowers and all worked out very well.  However, I have never put an upper/barrel together, I prefer to have them pre-assembled due to headspace.

Good luck.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's another option,

After you buy all of your new toys, er, I mean tools, completely disassemble one of your complete AR's, I'm assuming you have at least one more. Then reassemble it, giving you a much better idea how things work & where they go.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."  
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
At the site below is a photo and list of the AR-15 Armorers Kit that Brownell's offers. The punches start with item #21. Read the desciptions and decide which tools you may need.
www.brownells.com/Product/productDetail.asp?Spec=&ProductID=080216000&CategoryID=0

coyote3

Man, it kills me how much they want for a torque wrench.  You can find good torque wrenches at Sears for about a 1/3 of the price Brownell's wants.

I've seen Bushmaster also offers tool kits too.  One nice thing is that they have several different levels of tools.  One is bare bones and I think includes punches, barrel wrench, and a couple other things, and the other two add a few more tools until you basically have everything you need.  Check out their site too:  
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here's another option,

After you buy all of your new toys, er, I mean tools, completely disassemble one of your complete AR's, I'm assuming you have at least one more. Then reassemble it, giving you a much better idea how things work & where they go.

i da, and i planned on using it as a roadmap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top