Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 9:09:37 PM EDT
I am moving from oregon to colorado in about two weeks, I dont trust the movers with my prized possesions, (my guns) so I am going to bring them with me in my car, I have about 15 of them, they are all legal guns registered in my name, but if I get pulled over I know I am going to have trouble, because they all look illegal. tec 9, mac-12 -ar15 -uzi etc. To your average LEO they will all look like machine guns, and ill look like a gun trafficer, Plus I am 22 years old, and I will be driving a red sports car, that says "pull me over" any advice or suggestions? thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't speed.

Actually, I would mail them and avoid the problem.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Put them under everything else.  Make sure nothing "gun" is showing from the outside of the car.  The two times I've had a LEO go through my vehicle, they didn't make it all of the way to the floor of my van.  I guess they got lazy or decided it wasn't worth the effort.  As a last resort if they do stop you and ask to search, ask to speak to the officer's supervisor.  Having an officer there who is probably older and has a cooler head should help.  I really wouldn't worry about it.z
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
My advice is send them to ME!!!
Just keep them in the trunk, have cable locks running through the bolts and have all your paperwork for them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
put them all in lockable cases and put locks on them in the trunk. if you get pulled over, there should not be a probeble cause to search you car anyway. unless you do something stupid.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have all the paperwork for them, and like I said, they are all legal and in legal configuration, but I know if I get pulled over Ill get hassled, plus I have to go through Utah, which is the worst.  I had a friend who got pulled over in utah, for having 35" tires on his truck (what the hell?) they took 2 of his guns for "inspection" and he has yet to get them back, that was two years ago,,
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Check with each city, county, and state, etc. that you drive through to make sure they allow those types of firearms, and how they require them to be transported, and if you must notify them, etc...

You might ship them to yourself. I think that is legal. (check on that though)
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the problem is one in your own mind.

As I see it Oregon, Idaho, Montanna, Wyoming, Colorado should be your route.

All of these states are NFA friendly where machineguns are perfectly legal to own. So don't assume the cops don't see or know the difference. Chances are they run into them routinely.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you flink up, they cannot search your vehicle. They cannot take your guns unless you really screw up. if you have a bunch of other stuff in the car to make it obvious that you are moving, it should make them think less of you than a dude in a sports car with a sh1t load of gun cases.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Federal law allows for weapons to be transfered between states as long as the weapons are legal to own in the state of origin and the destination state. The law does require that the weapons be unloaded, stored in a gun case, and placed in the trunk of the vehicle. I would also keep any weapons related items such as ammo, mags, holsters, and anything else that might indicate you have guns hidden in the trunk.

Hope this helps....
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Stay out of Utah, unless you have three women in the car with you!  Seriously, it's the worst state to drive in and have out of state plates unless you're over 50 and driving an RV (they will go through you're car!)
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
MAHABALI,

my, my but you do get around.
Last post of yours was about 'UNREGISTERED' Drop-in-auto-sears.
That post was removed.  When was that ?  This morning ?

Now you're 22 yrs old and moving 15 guns in a red sports car.

The LEO's that you describe are all so dumb they don't know the difference between a TEC 9 and a machine gun.

Tell you what, check with your local BATF office for the rules about moving guns from state to state.

Look clown, you need a new script writer and a new board.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
AR15.com folks, ("REAL' AR15.com folks)

If this topic follows the trend and no one responds for a while, a poster with only a few posts will come in and try to restart the conversation.

This guy is the third in about five weeks to get discussions going about possible illegal activities.  All three follow the same trend.

BATF or a good attorney should be able to answer all this guys questions.

ANY of you ever moved 15 guns that all look like machine guns in a red sports car across multiple state jurisdictions ??

Me neither !

Tom
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If this topic follows the trend and no one responds for a while, a poster with only a few posts will come in and try to restart the conversation.

This guy is the third in about five weeks to get discussions going about possible illegal activities.  All three follow the same trend.

ANY of you ever moved 15 guns that all look like machine guns in a red sports car across multiple state jurisdictions ??

Me neither !

Tom

What he proposes is perfectly legal if he complies with federal interstate transportation of firearms laws.  What's the big deal.  Clearly he's an enthusiast.  Perhaps not as bright, if the drop in auto sear thread was actually his, but he's 22 so he can be curious if he wants.

Really, if he was some kind of narc they had better lower the payscale because he's not very clever.

Give the guy a break.

Hey, "M": Try this- www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=59

Try it for two reasons.

1.  Always look at NRA before here because you'll annoy the board members.

2.  You'll often get erronious information from armchair libertarians in here if you're not careful.  Generally the board is clueful but when playing with 20+ years in the federal pen and your picture on the paper with "dozens of assault weapons siezed" it's better to get information from an authority.

[edited to activate link and fix spelling]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
.... if the drop in auto sear thread was actually his....

Give the guy a break.

...it's better to get information from an authority.

[

MAHABALI is not hard to remember.

Before responding I did check the Moderator forum just to be sure the Unregistered DIAS topic was his.  It was.  (The topic was removed from General Firearms Discussion this morning and put in the Moderator Forum where it will just fade away.)

I did give the guy a break.  I suggested a new script writer.

"It is better to get information from an authority."  
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#16]
JESUS CHRIST! lay off! I said that I saw drop in sears for sale on ebay, and was wondering about the legality of them being sold, and if the sellers might me batf agents, I was curious, I know what the penalty is, I would not buy one!!! Have some hospitality for christ's sake, im asking an honest question, im moving and am stressed about my guns, and I happen to have a red sports car, so what? better jump on my ass and call me a moron right?!!! should I let the movers (strangers) handle my guns? would you? Thats what I hate about this website, all of you guys just insult the hell out of people for not knowing as much about guns as you, I am not a newcomer to guns, just to ar15s, this web site is for people to gain knowledge and have fun talking about thier hobbies with each other, and it is people like you who take the fun out of this for all of us. so someone might not know as much about guns as you, use your knowledge to help them not insult them!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
JESUS CHRIST! lay off! I said that I saw drop in sears for sale on ebay, and was wondering about the legality of them being sold, and if the sellers might me batf agents, I was curious, I know what the penalty is, I would not buy one!!! Have some hospitality for christ's sake, im asking an honest question, im moving and am stressed about my guns, and I happen to have a red sports car, so what? better jump on my ass and call me a moron right?!!! should I let the movers (strangers) handle my guns? would you? Thats what I hate about this website, all of you guys just insult the hell out of people for not knowing as much about guns as you, I am not a newcomer to guns, just to ar15s, this web site is for people to gain knowledge and have fun talking about thier hobbies with each other, and it is people like you who take the fun out of this for all of us. so someone might not know as much about guns as you, use your knowledge to help them not insult them!!!!!!!!!

One comes to overlook mouth/keyboard spoutoff around these parts. I feel your pain! Some can do no wrong.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Look dude ,you ask stupid questions that and you'll get answers that you won't like.

call your daddy and ask him...Don't know your daddy?Call momma,ask her.You are either full
of shit or rich,'cause i've NEVER heard of a 22yr old w/the $$$$ to buy uzi's,MAC's,AND
AR's too.Possible....but not likely
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#19]
what stupid question?, jeez you guys are so mean here. Im a liar? is it not feasible for me to own 15 guns? Im sure lots of you guys here own a hell of alot more than that. Im a liar because I am worried about traveling with alot of guns, ok...   No im not rich, I just love guns, alot of people hate guns and would hate me for that, but I wouldnt expect them to be here, I thought I was with like minded individuals here. Is there a nice person on this whole website? I just asked an honest question to get some advice from people. Oh by the way im shipping the guns UPS. why dont you guys just rip me apart for that...
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#20]
We might not...but them UPS guys will probably rip you off though!Good luck on gettin'em all
home safely!lol

UPS ROCKS.....lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what stupid question?, jeez you guys are so mean here. Im a liar? is it not feasible for me to own 15 guns? Im sure lots of you guys here own a hell of alot more than that. Im a liar because I am worried about traveling with alot of guns, ok...   No im not rich, I just love guns, alot of people hate guns and would hate me for that, but I wouldnt expect them to be here, I thought I was with like minded individuals here. Is there a nice person on this whole website? I just asked an honest question to get some advice from people. Oh by the way im shipping the guns UPS. why dont you guys just rip me apart for that...

Hey I know what you mean-- I see this a lot too.

There are some people which will jump at the chance to belittle you if you are clueless about what they "know" about firearms, or any topic for that matter.

I guess they are trying to prove to everyone how smart they are, by pointing out that you don't know anything about a particular topic...

They will twist your words around to make things "sound" different than what you actually said, etc.

It seems to be the trend here on AR15.com.

Also, I have noticed, you can ask a question several times, and nobody will answer. Then you see someone else post a similar question, and their question is answered immediately... go figure.

Just ignore them.

About your shipping-- take pictures, write down serial numbers, descriptions, values, etc. And if you have not shipped them yet, try to find a better shipper. Also, try to get them to have you pick them up at the UPS center, not to drop them at your house on your doorstep!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#22]
You might consider taking your prebans (or certain parts) with you in your sports car... and shipping the others. Definately take the high capacity magazines with you, since they may be hard to replace.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I guess they are trying to prove to everyone how smart they are, by pointing out that you don't know anything about a particular topic...

Energizer,
I know the type person you're describing as I've been jumped myself for my ignorance in certain areas of firearms.  I'm not that type person and try in all forums to pay attention to all posts where I might contribute but I pay more attention to those with a low post count and for the reason you've stated.

I had this guy's unregistered DIAS topic removed and I stand by my posts above.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Energizer,
I know the type person you're describing as I've been jumped myself for my ignorance in certain areas of firearms.  I'm not that type person and try in all forums to pay attention to all posts where I might contribute but I pay more attention to those with a low post count and for the reason you've stated.

I had this guy's unregistered DIAS topic removed and I stand by my posts above.

Just to let you know, I was not directly targetting you or anyone. I was making a general statement of my observations from various topics, to show MAHABALI that similar things have happened to others, including me, whether warranted or not.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#25]
The rudeness is an internet phenomenon.  Small minds take advantage of the fact that they are basically anonymous and say things they would NEVER say in person.  Builds their self esteem.  It's not only (or even more) common here.  It's on all the forums except the moderated ones, and even there some lack of civility slips through depending on the moderator's threshold of civility.

The unfortunate thing is that even those of us who don't engage in mud slinging and belittling of others become oversensitive to it and may take offense when none was meant.

I've found most of the posters here, and on other boards to be courteous and helpful.  We just have to endure the others.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#26]
MAHABALI,

my, my but you do get around.
Last post of yours was about 'UNREGISTERED' Drop-in-auto-sears.
That post was removed. When was that ? This morning ?

Now you're 22 yrs old and moving 15 guns in a red sports car.

The LEO's that you describe are all so dumb they don't know the difference between a TEC 9 and a machine gun.

Tell you what, check with your local BATF office for the rules about moving guns from state to state.

Look clown, you need a new script writer and a new board.

This guy is the third in about five weeks to get discussions going about possible illegal activities. All three follow the same trend.

Me neither !

Tom

THIS is where I stand on this issue myself.Sorry
if it 'offends' you.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Lay off of MAHABALI.

As for a 22 y/o with 15 guns...He did say he has a red sports car which indicates that unlike many of us he has money.

As for the question of have you ever seen a person drive across multiple state juristdictions with a bunch of evil (MG Looking) Guns in a red sports car. Substitute the red sports car for a pick-up truck, and I have done it. Then again, I kinda expect Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana to know the difference. BTW, they all allow rifles to be carried w/o gun cases. Alabama is the only weird one (unloaded, which means remove the magazines).

Seriously, look up the laws of the states on your route. I assume Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado. Those are all Gun Friendly states, except Colorado.

Also, make sure to avoid living in Denver (Assault Weapons Ban). You shouldn't have any problems traveling through Idaho or Utah.

As for my suggestion, take one gun and put the rest in cases in front of the rear seat. Now, check each states gun laws and carry that one gun (Non-Menacing of course) in a manner that complies with each states laws.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I recently moved from mich to wash,I wrapped all my long guns in bubble wrap,then stacked them like cord wood in my homak gun cabinet,lying down in the trailer with everything else stacked on them...No problem,also I'd take the north route as suggested,and wear your seat belt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
From NRA-ILA:

Oregon --

CARRYING

It is unlawful to carry concealed upon the person or concealed about one's person in a vehicle any firearm unless one has a license to carry a concealed weapon. Exceptions to the above prohibition are:

1. Persons possessing a handgun at their home or place of business.
2. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the U.S.
3. Policemen and law enforcement personnel, whether active or honorably retired.
4. Military personnel when on active duty.
5. Members of a shooting club while at a range or going to and from a range.
6. Licensed hunters or fishermen, while engaged in hunting or fishing or going to and from a hunting or fishing expedition.
7. Merchants transporting or possessing firearms as merchandise.
8. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading or traveling to a meeting of their organization.
9. Corrections officer while transporting convict.

Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not considered to be "concealed."

Idaho --

Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon without a license to carry a concealed weapon. For the purposes of this section, a concealed weapon means any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver, or any other deadly or dangerous weapon. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle.

While in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any city or inside any mining, lumbering, logging or railroad camp a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any pistol or revolver located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded. A firearm may be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled or unloaded.

"Upon or about ones person" has been defined by the Idaho courts as encompassing the physical carrying of the weapon in clothing or handbags as well as going about with the weapon in "close proximity . . . readily accessible for prompt use." The test for concealment is whether the weapon is carried so as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.2

Exempt from this provision are:

officials of the county, state, or federal government;
peace officers;
guards of any jail;
any officer of any express company on duty.
court appointed attendants;
employees of the adjutant general and military division of the state where military membership is a condition of employment when on duty;
criminal investigators of the attorney general and prosecuting attorneys office, prosecutors and their deputies;
any person outside the limits of any city, mining, lumbering, logging, or rail-road camp engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or other lawful out-door activity;
any publicly elected Idaho official;
any retired peace officer with ten (10) years of service with the state or political subdivision who has been certified by the peace officer training standards.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#30]
When you leave I'll meet you at you house, Put them in MY trunk. And I'll take care of the rest. Besides I don't drive a RED sports, it's silver.HEHE!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Utah --

CARRYING

It is unlawful to carry a "concealed dangerous weapon" without a permit. A firearm that contains no ammunition and is enclosed in a case, gun box or securely tied package is not a concealed weapon.

It is lawful to carry a firearm "capable of being concealed" in one's home or place of business without a permit.

It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm in or on any vehicle or in a posted prohibited area.

It is unlawful to carry a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.

CARRYING IN VEHICLES

It is lawful to carry an unloaded firearm unconcealed in a vehicle without a permit. A person with a valid permit to carry may carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle. It is lawful to carry a firearm if unloaded and encased in a case, box, or securely tied package or held securely in a gun rack or locked in the trunk of an automobile in which the firearm is being transported.

EXEMPTIONS

The following are exempt from Utah weapon laws:

U. S. Marshals engaged in their official duties;
Federal officials required to carry firearms while engaged in their official duties;
Law enforcement officials;
Common carriers while engaged in the regular transportation of firearms as merchandise.

Colorado --

CARRYING

It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed on or about one's person without a permit.

Exceptions to this prohibition are:

A person in his own dwelling, place of business, or on property owned or controlled by him, or
A person in a private automobile or other private conveyance who carries a weapon for "lawful protection" while traveling.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Other Interesting Notes In RE: Colorado --

MISCELLANEOUS

It is unlawful to carry, store, keep, manufacture, sell or otherwise possess within the City and County of Denver a firearm defined as an "assault weapon" or to carry, store or otherwise possess a magazine that holds or may be modified to hold 21 or more rounds for a firearm. Exceptions to this ordinance are (1) a person who obtained an "assault weapon" legally prior to the effective date of the ordinance, filed a permit application within 60 days of the effective date of the ordinance with the police department, and was issued a permit; (2) transportation by a non-resident through the city.

"[T]he general assembly concludes that the carrying of weapons in private automobiles or other private means of conveyance for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into or through a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction, is a matter of statewide concern and is not an offense . . . Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into or through a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction."

PURCHASE

It is unlawful for any person at a gun show to transfer or attempt to transfer a firearm until he has conducted a background check of the prospective transferee, and obtained approval of the transfer from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation through a licensed gun dealer. It is also unlawful to transfer a firearm if any part of the transaction takes place at a gun show, unless a licensed dealer first obtains a background check on the prospective transferee. This does not apply to firearms defined as antiques, curios or relics under federal law.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#33]
The Following States Reconize an Oregon CHL --

Idaho
Indiana
Michigan
Montana
Utah
Vermont
Wyoming

If you have a CHL/CCW, you will be fine in Idaho, Utah, Montana, and Wyoming.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#34]
let me tell you about one law I DO KNOW ABOUT IN COLORADO GUNS AND CASES MUST BE SEEN FROM OUT SIDE CAR OR IT IS CONCEALED WEAPON THEY CAN TAKE YOUR GUNS JUST FOR THAT YOU WILL NOT GET THEM BACK.I HAVE A CWL IN OKLAHOMA AND WHEN I GO UP THERE TO COLORADO MY CWL IS NOT VAILD SO IF I UNLOAD GUN AT  STATE LINE I CAN'T HIDE IT IN TRUNK UNLOAD OR IT A CONCEALED WEAPON SO YOU MUST HAVE IT IN PLAIN VIEW ON DASH IN WINDOW UNLOAD. IT A NO WIN SITUATION UP THERE YOU SHOW IT AND EVERY COP WILL PULL YOU OVER HIDE IT AND THEY FIND THEM AND YOU WILL LOSE THEM I LOVE COLORADO LIVED THERE EVER SUMMER FOR 12 YEARS AND WANT TO LIVE THERE NOW BUT THERE GUN LAWS ARE MESSED UP BAD THE BIG CITY ARE ANTI GUN BIG TIME AND THE RULE IS SUPER PROGUN SO WHY MOVE SO PLACE YOU WILL GET TREATED LIKE THAT

I THINK SHIPPING THOUGHT FFL OR RENT VAN AND PULLING CAR IS BETTER YOU WILL GET PULL OVER WITH OUT OF STATE TAG EVERY TIME I GO THERE I DO AND I DON'T DRIVE A RED SPORT CAR THAT IS ASKING FOR IT.IT IS EASY UP THERE COPS THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE GUN AND THEM A LONE  THIS LAST SUMMER ON VAC WITH FAMILY I HAD NO GUN AND DRIVING FORD EXPLORER HE SAY I WAS DRINKING AND MADE ME DO BREATH TEST THAT A FIRST I TOLD HIS I DON'T DRINK I AM A CHRISTIAN MAN ALL I HAD WAS HOT GUM HE SAY WHAT EVER YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN LOOK ON HIS FACE WHEN TEST READ O O O O O COLORADO IS A POLICE STATE THAT ALL THERE IS TO IT IF YOU HAVE COLORADO PLATE YOU CAN DRIVE 30 MPH OVER THEY SAY NOTHING YOU DRIVE 3 MPH OVER OUT STATE TAG YOUR BUSTED WILL I HOPE THIS HELP YOU               OKLAHOMA GUY
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#35]
okguy91, I think you're confusing Colorado with some other state.  It is legal in Colorado to carry a loaded gun in your car, whether or not you have a CCW.  It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

There was a problem a few years ago with Denver, the mayor and DA of which chose to disregard the state law and WOULD arrest you if you had a gun.  The solution was a preemption bill which didn't pass, but which caused Denver to agree to allow non Denver citizens to carry concealed in Denver, but not Denver citizens.  Go figure.

I don't think you'd have any problems in Colorado unless you did something dumb.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#36]
BRAVO Thee12nv! I appreciate your comments! Ive had second thoughts about shipping them, they are just too damn precious! No they are not ALL expensive assault type weapons, ive got a couple of cheapo's, viper .22, jennings 9mm and of course a deer rifle and a few shotguns.. anyway I appriciate the relevant advice
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I moved to Miami with over 50 guns in the Pickup truck, and never gave a thought to it.  Just drive within the law, and keep your eye on the road.  People worry too much about cops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top