Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 11:56:27 AM EDT
What is Tennifer (Glock's patented metal coating)???

It looks and feels like Black Titanium Nitride to me.

Is anyone out there reproducing this tough finish with a different name?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Tenifer is not a coating, it's a process for hardening the steal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone successfully hot blued a worn Glock slide?  I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it's always better to ask first.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what the coating is, but it is tough.  Don't wear your wedding ring for tap rack bang drills.  It will wear the gold down.  I also know several marine patrol officers who regularly carry glocks ( cops tend to be really poor on gun care) and have had no corrosion problems.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, Tenifer = Nitriding = Melonite Salt™ Bath Nitriding System

burlingtoneng.com/capabilities.html

it is not illegal to perform this process in the US, simply expensive due to EPA regulations concerning the process.

Glock can do this more cheaply in Austria, beyond the reach of US EPA.

per the tech i spoke to in Smyrna, GA, the slides are simply manganese phosphated (Parkerized).  

Park is a metal matrix that can be worn or scraped off.  you'll see some comp guys remove the park for a matte chrome look on their Glocks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top