Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2002 5:31:14 PM EDT
Here's my scenario:

I have a flattop with a fixed front sight.  I also have a removable A3 carry handle and an A2 scope mount.

I want to mount my Simmon's AETEC scope. I'd like to keep the overall "tallness" of the rifle to a minimum.

Should I mount the scope on the carry handle and be done with it?  Or should I attach a low profile flip up rear sight and a detachable scope mount.  Will it clear the front sight?  I feel since I have a flattop, I should take advantage of that, though the fixed front hampers that some...

Assume I'll be keeping the fixed barrel.

Any advice?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Take advantage of your flattop and mount the scope to it instead of your carryhandle.

Not only will your accuracy improve,  but the gun won't stand 2 feet tall.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What I did was get an Armalite 1 piece mount which includes its own scope rings. This mount is designed to put the center of the scope lenses just above your fixed front sight.

You may see a bit of a shadow thru your scope but it doesnt interfere with sighting.

After I mounted the scope I found I was already on the paper at 100 yds. A few rounds later I was fully sighted in.

I have had excellent results removing and replacing this unit with no noticable loss of accuracy.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone...I'm looking up the Armalite mount now.  Salute!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Stick your scope in the one-piece mount (i.e. Armalite mount), Mount the one-piece/scope to a Swan Sleeve and the Swan Sleeve to the AR flattop.

If your scope fails, or in a situation where iron sights are preferred: remove the one-piece mount and scope and flip up the spring loaded rear sight on the Swan sleeve and your back in business.
I have found this to bring the scope to optimum height.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Further question:

What size scope can be used with the Armalite?  40mm, 50mm?

Also, where do I find one?

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Further question:

What size scope can be used with the Armalite?  40mm, 50mm?

Also, where do I find one?

www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/mounts_rings.htm

they come in 1" and 30mm tube sizes.

I mounted a 56mm on one to a 16" flattop for kicks. The 40mm and 50mm will clear. When you have huge optics hanging a foot off the receiver it looks ridiculous.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the range on that flip-up sight on the Swan sleeve?  I've seen some on Bushmaster's site (ARMS#40) that have a 250-300 and a 500-600 with a horiz. line for leading...

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms40.asp
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Stick your scope in the one-piece mount (i.e. Armalite mount), Mount the one-piece/scope to a Swan Sleeve and the Swan Sleeve to the AR flattop.

If your scope fails, or in a situation where iron sights are preferred: remove the one-piece mount and scope and flip up the spring loaded rear sight on the Swan sleeve and your back in business.

Doesn't the front sight create a blur in the crosshairs?  Is it annoying?  Etc. etc...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't the front sight create a blur in the crosshairs?  Is it annoying?  Etc. etc...

???
Is better than putting one-piece optic mount directly to flattop. It raises one-piece mount off receiver a bit.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms38s%2Dex.asp
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What's the range on that flip-up sight on the Swan sleeve?  I've seen some on Bushmaster's site (ARMS#40) that have a 250-300 and a 500-600 with a horiz. line for leading...

Im not sure. Mine is zero'ed at 300m and I never maxed it. It is probably safe to assume it is simular to A2 rear.

this place is cheaper:
www.botachtactical.com/ar38swanslee.html

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
excellent info, thanks Boomholzer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top