Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 5:13:07 PM EDT
I am looking for a "G3" replica.  I saw one at a local gun shop today and wanted to find some info but am unable to come up with anything.  
They had one with a springfield reciever for about $1200.   Is this a good deal or would it be cheaper to buy a kit and build one?   If not how hard is it to find a reciever for this kit.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
www.gunsnstuff.net. I have seen G3 clones in the $500 range around here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
www.gunsnstuff.net/html/rifles.html. Here is a more direct link for you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.

Why so cheap?  Are they total Junk?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont really know all that much about them but can offer some info.  I see the Springfield G3s here in Wa state retail for around a grand +/- $50.  The Springields are the best ones to get but are almost 2X the price of the Century & Hesse parts guns. Hesse is the worst. You will get what you pay for and are probably better off to get the Springfield. I did read some posts in the Build It Yourself forum about building one from a kit and I think everyone felt that unless you were a capable machinist it would be very difficult to build one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I will say that building one is quite difficult.

If you buy one complete, then it is possible to get a bad one, but it is just as possible to get a good one. I have tried a G3 on a Hesse receiver, I shot from the prone position and fire a 5 shot group with open sights and kept it under 2".

I will say that if I were going to spend the $500 on a semi auto .308 I would get an FN clone myself. Actually I did, I have an L1A1 on an Imbel receiver and I like it 10X's more then any of the G3 clones I have tried.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Interesting.

Why so cheap?  Are they total Junk?

They must be the equivalent of OLYMPIC ARMS...

YUCK!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm very intresting.   Thanks for the help guys.  

To answer Aimless the clone I saw said "Springfield" and it was $1250.00
I asked the guy if it was HK parst with a lower reciever, he said they were "imported" parts but the upper and lower recievers were US made.

Just curious, what would a REAL G3 cost these days?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I beleive that the Springfield Armory G3's are assembled from imported Greek G3 parts onto a Springfield receiver. The 2 I have seen had green furniture and were overall pretty high quality.  I think they compare with the DSA & Enterprise FALs.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top