Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2002 10:14:53 PM EDT
 Is the Counterpoise upgrade for AR-15 rifles all that it is cracked up to be?

I've read Charlie Cutshaw's review, and he loves it.  (Note: Cutshaw seems to be an AR-hater, everything I've read of his claims it to be unreliable)

If I do end up getting it, what to I need to do to get my gas port enlarged?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I know nothing about this system, but I found this link for others to take a look at.  Sounds intriguing.  www.armforte.com/counterp.htm
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't read of Cutshaw hating the AR, though it may possibly be related to personal experience in Vietnam?

In any case, I posted this same question a while back, and was referred to an article posted at, I think, subguns.com, wherein the user flamed it. He said that the carrier actually broke on him. The system uses proprietary springs, carrier, buffer etc., so replacement parts are likely to be more difficult to come by. I haven't used it, but I'd avoid it for no other reason than its proprietary parts. If just one fails, you'd have to hope the maker will be able to sell you that one part alone. Since the system doesn't seem to have a lot of subscribers, I'll bet parts are not readily available. FWIW, the standard AR is plenty good enough.

I've spoken to retired Marines & SpecOps on the issue of AR's reliability, and all reported that it was flawless for them. One of my buds was an armorer in the Marines for 4 years, and he said the M16 design worked great. I've also read claims of 5K+ rounds through AR's w/o cleaning.

If you're seeking a little bit of improvement, I'd go with heavier recoil & extractor springs from Wolf; maybe even throw in a chromed bolt for its added lubricity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Just for a moment assume the "Counterpoise" does what it claims.
Most of those claims have to do with the system installed in the M16/CAR-15 machine guns.
The inventors saw some but not much improvement when Counterpoise was used in semi-automatic rifles.

One of the co-inventors was James Sullivan (Co-designer of the ArmaLite AR-15, Stoner 63, etc.) and I can't remember the other guys name but he was retired Army SF.

Strictly from a personal standpoint and primarily due to my respect for Sullivan I would test this system in an M16 but not in my semi-autos.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top