Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2002 8:01:28 PM EDT
I have a preban Colt A2 which the gun is the older grey color.Right now the upper is the original upper, but I have put a DPMS 1/8 HBAR w/ free float tube on it. I am going to get a Bushmaster M4 upper, which will be black of course. If I send the lower Colt Reciver out to refinish black, will it decrease the value? Is a preban lower worth the same regardless. Do I have to keep the original upper with the gun. If I ever try to sell it, will it be worth the same, more or less with the M4 upper and matching colors, or if I keep the original upper with the noodley 1/7 barrel. Does any body have the grey lower with a black upper, does it look weird? Or is this just being anal wanting it to match? Would it be worth more with the M4 upper matching? Thanks for any help or comments
           Thanks Foldemfast
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The value of a preban is in it's ability to add such "desirable" features as a flash suppressor and collapsable stock.  Whether it retains its original finish is immaterial, as it is not a true collectors piece such as a Luxembourg Mauser.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Whoa...whoa....whoa....it just doesn't matter.  Who cares what color an AR is?  It could grey, light grey, dark grey, medium grey, black, light black, dark black...who cares?  It doesn't matter at all.  It's a gun, not a car.  Learn to shoot it well and safely and forget about the color.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]
...and for the other view. I have been watching for a grey (the lighter the better) Colt lower and upper or complete. Color DOES make a difference to me...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll try to post some pics of my SP1 for you.

C:\Documents and Settings\e149687\Desktop\P1010075.JPG
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay,

Everyone here is smarter than I am. What is the correct format/syntax for posting images in messages so I don't look so much an ass. Too late, I guess....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
color does matter to most collectors, but there are always exceptions. If you refinish your lower, how can a collector tell the true condition of the gun was in before the refinish?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I would keep it, shoot it with whatever upper(s) you have and enjoy. Meantime, keep your eyes peeled for a grey upper to go with it. That would be a fantastic looking gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive seen some serious color mismatching on preban Colts right from the factory.  Brownish looking uppers with grey lowers and various color greys and dark greys.  The military arsenal has many guns in service that don't match.  I believe in keeping the original Colt finish on lowers, if it is mint.  Original finish guns are almost always more valuable than refinished guns, especially collectors.  I would refinish the upper to match the lower, if anything.  DPMS offers a reanodizing called Horsey Grey, for $45.00 they will match the upper to the lower quite well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt Pre bans should not be re-finished. I am a Colt person and I personally would not buy a Re-finished Colt unless I could steal it. Gene
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top