Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 11:10:23 AM EDT
Went to the range today, fired a box of Remington UMC 45ACP with out a problem. Went to the Federal 230gr HydraShok and the primers started blowing out. No other evidence of overpressure on the case. Just no primers after ejection. Went back to UMC hardball with no problems. Anyone hear of similar problems latley? Gun was an excellent condition Sistema Colt 1911 with a Wilson full length group gripper and shock buff kit. Everything else worked great with impressive groups.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Blown primers on factory ammo?  Most odd.  Never heard of that happening.  Granted Federal HyroShoks may be loaded a bit hotter than the UMC ball you were shooting, but not enough to blow primers.

Call Federal and make sure you have the lot number.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I would call Fed.  They will talk to you and ask you to send them the brass.  They will pay you back for it.  I had trouble with a 10mm load.  That got me mad.  They had me send it to them and then they sent me a $5 check for sending it.  I think you will talk to a guy named Garry.  He is very nice.  Hope you have luck.
Gary
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm... interesting.... I've fired a good 50 or 60 rounds of that stuff through my Glock 30 and Glock 21 without anything like that happening. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The 230g Hydra-Shok load has been my carry ammunition of choice since I retired in 1987 and quit carrying what the department issued.

In that time I have probably fired well over 500 rounds in various Colts and Glocks ( I practice with reloads but shoot up the carry ammo periodically). Never in all that time have I had a single problem with Federal H-S and it has been about the most consistant factory hollow point I've chronographed. That's one of the main reasons I carry it.

Blown primers sounds very suspecious/unusual. I can't begin to offer a explination. I'd be curious what Federal says of you get in touch with them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. I'll call Fed tomarrow. I was surprised too. Ive shot the 9mm +P stuff with out a problem. I had the guys at the range look at the brass as well as an avid reloader, no one saw any other problems with the brass other than the primers coming out. I'll keep you posted. I just bought the box through Cheaper Than Dirt. Great price for the 50count box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top