Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 6:30:49 AM EDT
I just bought a Springfield armory M1A1 308 rifle.
Nothing fancy just the regular model with GI barrel.
I'm having trouble taking the guide rod off of the receiver. I've followed the instructions and pulled the handle back to the detent at which time you are suppose to be able to just lift up on the handle and remove the rod.  Sorry for the lack of proper terminology, but I hope that you get the picture.
I contacted Springfield Armory and they said that due to tighter tolerances that it might be necessary on a newer rifle to take a screw driver between the sight and the detent, and pry the rod off at the detent.
I don't know, any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#1]
TroDog,
  The best bet is to keep playing with it.  It will come out.  I would advise to keep any sharp object off of my 1000 dollar rifle.  

Also pcik up Scott Duff's book on the M14/M1A rifle.  It has some good info in it.

Trust me it will come out.

max
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey TroDog, I've had the same problem.  Since I haven't shot the gun that much (around 300rnds in 2 years) so I just clean around it the best I can.  If I can't do it the next time I take it apart then I will take it to a gun smith.  Let me know if your luck improves.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
There really shouldn't be much keeping it in.  It helps if you know which way to move it.

The op rod should be pulled out straight out from the side of the receiver, then once free of the receiver and bolt, I usually have to rotate it over the top of the receiver before there's enough clearance to totally remove it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be hesitant to take a screwdriver to it.  Just keep fiddling with it.  Eventually it will come off.  There's no trick to it to learn.  Just keep trying and eventually it will work.  New ones can be on there VERY tight.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys I'll keep working on it. My rifle is new with only about 300 rnds put through it. Did you get the $99.00 scope and mount coupon, what a deal that was. With a hot barrel(60 rnds) at 100 yds I was holding 2 to 2.5 inch groups from a shaky platform. Not bad for me, but I'm sure that I could do a little better with some practice.
Nice to see some M-14 owners out there. For a while all I was seeing were those FALs, I know that they're good rifles and all that but has anyone asked if it's so good then why are so many countries getting rid of them?  

Hey maxell27 that's some cool graphics, how do you do dat?
I'm a new member, and I haven't figured all the knobs and buttons yet.

You all take good care!

Tro in the hole!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]
"I know that they're good rifles and all that but has anyone asked if it's so good then why are so many countries getting rid of them? "
Because they are not using .308 any more, may want to ask why (almost?) no other country ever used the M14. I have a FAL and a M1A, so I'm not knocking either, as a matter of fact I like them both a lot, but neither are the primary battle rife of any country that I know of, and I am not an expert on this subject, but the .308 is out of style.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
TroDog,

I would be curious if you are able to remove the oprod per directions.   The SA M1As sometimes don't have enough room in t he reciever to do this.  I could not remove mine.

I had Smith Enterprises harden the reciever and they also milled a small amount out so that the  oprod can be removed.  

James
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It WILL come out...consider it like one of those wire toys you had as a kid and had to get them apart..
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I had the same problem. I read the manual and
kept messing with it until it came apart. I
also took advantage of their coupons and got
the $99 scope. Also used a coupon to get the
56mm variable scope for a good price. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It will come off.....after all it was put in the same way right?

Is it that big a deal to NEED to take it off?  If it is that much a pain to get off it will surely be as difficult to put back on.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]
And how many of us have pulled the oprod off the bolt during a match because we put a little sideways pull on the handle instead of pulling straight back?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I took two op rods off tonight to check headspace on spare bolts.
The first one came off in a blink. The second one was tough! I just had to work with it and hope that it'd come off. I've had it off several times, with little effort.
Both are Springfield's.
Keep at it. It'll become easier.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Trodog-  I had same situation with an M1-A I brought from SA last year, as others have said, you just have to fiddle with it.  I found once I line up the bolt with the notch in the rail, that it requires a bit of a push a few inches forward of the notch, and a twist and pull up a few inches back.  The first time I did this by accident, then couldn't get it to happen the next time I went to clean it until I fiddled with it for another 10 minutes, then I learned it, and it's like riding a bike.  Gas piston was tough the first time too, don't bother with the gas piston wrench, get some vise grips and good padding to get enough torque.

AnotherBill- Some Euro countries like Norway, with big expanses of woods, still swear by FAL's.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#15]
After you get five or six thousand rounds through it you will notice that it comes apart a lot easier. I had one in the service that came apart smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had the same problem. I read the manual and
kept messing with it until it came apart. I
also took advantage of their coupons and got
the $99 scope. Also used a coupon to get the
56mm variable scope for a good price. Good luck

I would advise to get someone elses scope mount, and definitely made of steel.  GPC has what looks to be the Brookfield mount for $250, and Smith Ent makes a low mount for much less, as does Swan/GGG(??).
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
A.R.M.S. or Smith Enterprise mounts are the way to go.  Sturdy and effective
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Bretshooter:  Who is GPC?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"I know that they're good rifles and all that but has anyone asked if it's so good then why are so many countries getting rid of them? "
Because they are not using .308 any more, may want to ask why (almost?) no other country ever used the M14. I have a FAL and a M1A, so I'm not knocking either, as a matter of fact I like them both a lot, but neither are the primary battle rife of any country that I know of, and I am not an expert on this subject, but the .308 is out of style.

Bill

"Out of style" may be a bit much.  It's still used as a GPMG round by Nato countries, and as a specialized sniper round world-wide.

Some of the "underdeveloped" countries still use fal and/or variants as thier main issue.......u.s. marines (as well as a few others) are still using m14`s for long shooters......in other words....WATCH WHAT YOU SAY AROUND HERE!...........
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nice to see some M-14 owners out there. For a while all I was seeing were those FALs, I know that they're good rifles and all that but has anyone asked if it's so good then why are so many countries getting rid of them?  

They are getting rid of the FAL's because they are old, and the design is outdated.  Someone could make the argument that if the M14 is so good, why did other countries not adopt it?  That having been said, I'll let you know I love the M14 design.  I find it much more aesthetically pleasing than all other .308 semi-auto rifles...just don't like the price of her mags.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top