Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 6:26:34 PM EDT
People who have concealed carry permits, how many extra mags do you carry, if any?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
In my training class they said if a gun is pulled and fired only 1 to 3 rounds will be fired in most cases.
I thought about carrying extra mags but my 15 rounder will do the trick.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I think there have been some polls on this before (it would certainly be an easier format to look at the data).  I Carry I speed strip with my revolver.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info so far guys!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you would want to carry 1 extra mag. minimum. Most problems with auto-loaders are magazine related.

Remember Murphy never takes a day of and loves to kick a guy when he is down. (Murphy's law)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In my training class they said if a gun is pulled and fired only 1 to 3 rounds will be fired in most cases.
I thought about carrying extra mags but my 15 rounder will do the trick.

Oly's already said it best.  What are you going to do if you have a double feed?

Always carry at least one spare mag.

(Personally, I usually carry three--two in a dual mag pouch, and on in a breast pocket on my coat, that I can get at with either hand.)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry one extra CMC PowerMag for my 1911, but this one has an extended baseplate. These seem to seat faster and more positive during reloads.

The magazine in my holstered Kimber has a standard flat base-plate. This helps conceal the full-size grip a little easier.

I feel like "Inspector Gadget" with just 1 mag, 1 holster, and a folding Buck knife on my belt. I can't see how others can add flashlights & extra mags and still be comfortable.

My basic load of 17 rounds(2 mags+pipe) should be plenty to finish the job, or at least get me to a rifle or shotgun, which is almost always better than a handgun in a firefight.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
G27 10 rounds, I have a spare mag holster, but haven't been in the "bad" part of town for a while so haven't used it yet
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]
At least one spare mag with either my Kimber Custom Eclipse II or Colt Officers ACP.

/r,

Deucer01
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'm in the minority because I don't carry a spare. Should I have a double feed or other malfunction I think I could clear it faster than loading up another mag anyway.

Hopefully should the need arise I won't run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I guess I'm in the minority because I don't carry a spare. Should I have a double feed or other malfunction I think I could clear it faster than loading up another mag anyway.

You think it's quicker to fix a double feed with one mag than two?

The immediate action drill is to drop the magazine out of the gun (You'll have to rip it out, since the round at the top will have been partially stripped by the partially closed slide) rack the slidemultiple times until the case is extracted, load a fresh magazine and tap, rack, bang.

If you're holding onto the mag you ripped out of the gun, you won't be able to rack the slide rapidly.  If you stick it in a pocket, you've wasted time by putting the mag away.  When you go to reinsert them mag, you'll have to make sure the cartridges are properly aligned (It's almost a given that the top round will be half-out of the mag, or even sticking up like a stove pipe.  You gonna rip it out with your teeth? )

Carry the spare mag.  If you can conceal a pistol, you can conceal a spare mag.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
One in the pistol (sig 220)+1 in the tube+ two spare in double pouch. If 22 rounds of 230 gr. Hydra Shoks aren't enough, I'm in a world of hurt!

Nick
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Why carry a spare magazine when you can carry a second gun? My revolvers seem to have very few feed problems, thank goodness.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry two spare mags and my combat folder. Mr Murphy rears his head at the most in opportune times. oh BTW full size Springfield is my carry weapon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I have found it hard to carry extra mags so I have extra's spread out throughout my life, in my car, my wife's car, my job car, in the bag I carry to work each day, in my safe, in my bedroom in my basement ect... But carrying a small revolver on the ankle solves the whole problem. Always there and always works. Better to carry little and always have it than to leave it home because it is too big. Boy did that come out fucked up. Mike.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm.... I often carry a dual mag holder to back up my USP.40c, but most of the time I leave it at home because it's just too much stuff to lug out to get ice cream.  11 rounds ought to get me in and out of the quickie-mart with my haagen-das safely.  If I'm going out for the whole day, then I wear the extra mags.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#17]
We in Phx are a little extreme. My partners and myself pretty much carry the same.

I carry HK's usually. I carry one of these options: USP45 full in a Galco shoulder rig and a Glock G26 in an ankle rig. Sometimes it is easier to grab a spare than a reload. Sometimes I carry the Glock in a left draw hand small of back rig as well. I sometimes carry the full size in a right hand IWB and a USP45c in a left hand IWB. I sometimes carry 2 USP45c's in a double shoulder rig with spare mags in the small of back. I also carry a 3" S&W 29 44 mag with the Glock ankle or a USP45c in left IWB. I also have a Sig 228 for thoswe "light days" when I don't feel the need for so much protection. I like to be creative. BTW, I can hide 2 USP45 fulls under a t-shirt and not print.

A 2nd gun can be a life saver. You can arm a second person if needed, serve as a reload, etc.

Right after 9/11, I was carrying my CAR-15 in the Jeep as well as primary and backup gun. I'd rather have it and never need it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#18]
It changes with the seasons, my friend.

I can only get away with carrying full-size 1911 in winter months. I carry extra mag in jacket.
[sarcasm]You never know when you might put against a superior high-capacity DA auto.[/sarcasm]

Now that the weather is warming, I am forced to carry Ultra-Compact. If I am gone all day and will not be sitting allot, I'll try to pack space full-size mag, usually I do not. Statistically, I don’t think it is needed. However, I don't want to become a statistic!!!!

I like Mike103's practice. If you can't carry ‘em, spread ‘em around! I think I'm going to add a few mags to my glove box.

If I'm going to Walmart, I'll pack 5 extra Mags. That place is scary, you never know who or what you might run into.
I think rtech2 is SHAW (Shit Hits At Walmart) ready!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I carry a Glock 17 in a Blade-Tech holster and 4 double mag pouches on my belt.  That's a total of 9 hi-caps with factory +2 bases, 18 rounds each (I leave one out of each mag) and one in the pipe. 163 rounds.

j/k

Actually I don't have my CCW yet so I don't carry.  I am still debating with myself on the whole registration-fingerprinting issue.  Doesn't this basicly amount to gun registration?  Is there some reason I shouldn't get my CCW or am I just being paranoid?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Depending on the day, and where my travels will take me here are my carry choices:

Summer/Warm Weather: S&W 342PD AirLite Ti in a pocket holster and 2 speed strips for 15 rounds of .38 Spl.

Low Risk: Glock 30 in a Fobus Paddle with 10+1 of .45

Medium Risk: Glock 30 again plus a spare Glock 21 13+2 round magazine on my belt for 26 rounds of .45

High Risk: Glock 30, Spare G21 mag, S&W 342PD AirLite Ti revolver on my weak side as a back-up and a spare 5 rounds of .38 in a speed strip.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Shadowblade, Yes it is backdoor registration but every honest, lawfull, CCP holder is another reason why all states should have it. We are winning this issue big time, join the winners. When I leave my job I will need a permit like everyone else. Mike.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the response Mike.

Rather than trying to steal this thread I will start another one (after a search to see it it's been done).  I have been debating this issue for some time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#23]
This is fun. I have 2 buddies who I pal around with. One is a former Riverside, CA sheriff and one is a former SEAL. We all carry USP's in one version or another. We all carry backups, usually Glocks because of size.

In Arizona, we need to be creative in concealing because or weather. We have friends who are Phx PD, sheriff and a guy who is an agent for an alphabet soup agency who wears a photog vest in the summer. Nobody does that. We usually wear a Hawaiian shirt open. We look like bums but are well armed. You can carry a shoulder rig and not print. I also make my own kydex gear and mine are thinner than Blade-Tech, one piece with no straps and form fit really well.

I also have the Anytimer which is a daytimer with a holster I got from Dillon. When I meet my bud at the airport, I'll just give him that the security point. We sometimes just load up in front of them. Nothing they can do but stare.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I always carry at least one spare mag. Usually you discover mag problems like bent feed lips or weak springs at the worst possible moment. Better to be able to ditch a bad mag and try again then have a very tactical single shot pistol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#25]
One who chooses to carry an auto-loading handgun for personal defense should always have at least one spare magazine to coincide with their firearm. One of the best reasons to be equipped with at least one reload is to have the means to recover from a malfunction that may render the magazine in the pistol unusable. Many techniques used to recover from weapon malfunctions involve discarding the magazine currently in the pistol and recharging the pistol with a fresh magazine. Without a reload this is not possible. No matter what statistics one may rely on to hedge their bet that the fight will only last ’x’ many rounds the fight will be what it’s going to be no matter what numbers we may read in gun magazines. Having a reload may very well be the only means an operator will have in order to stay in the fight and win. The perceived inconvenience of carrying a spare magazine is far out weight by the potential and probable benefits and anyone who believes that a fight will only last 2,3,5, or however many rounds is a foolish child. Even if your firearm works flawlessly during the fight, holds 15 rounds, and you put your attacker down with two well placed shots wouldn’t you want the opportunity to bring your weapon back to full capacity? In the event that you may have to engage additional assailants or the initial attacker again having a spare magazine would prove most helpful. Additionally, no matter how big, how much energy, or how many wizz-bang super bullets you have loaded in your gun, handguns are incredibly poor stoppers and don’t posses the lethality or power needed in order to be relied on by themselves. Unfortunately legal restrictions forces one to choose the handgun for most confrontations that take place on the street so logic would dictate one should be well armed with the most effective handgun they can shoot well. Part of being well armed is adequate preparation... a spare magazine is part of this preparation and cheap insurance.

Quoted:
Depending on the day, and where my travels will take me here are my carry choices:

Summer/Warm Weather: S&W 342PD AirLite Ti in a pocket holster and 2 speed strips for 15 rounds of .38 Spl.

Low Risk: Glock 30 in a Fobus Paddle with 10+1 of .45

Medium Risk: Glock 30 again plus a spare Glock 21 13+2 round magazine on my belt for 26 rounds of .45

High Risk: Glock 30, Spare G21 mag, S&W 342PD AirLite Ti revolver on my weak side as a back-up and a spare 5 rounds of .38 in a speed strip.

I have to take issue with this. There is no way we can accurately predict with any amount of certainty a given geographical area’s threat level, that’s partly why we choose to arm ourselves in the first place. So arming ones self using "risk" levels based upon ones travel as a guide is largely a misnomer. Assuming one had the ability to predict their surroundings threat level wouldn’t it just be wiser not to go into a "high-risk" area?  Outside of the home ones level of readiness should always be the same. Success in a fight comes from consistency in training, part of that training is familiarity with ones carry rig. So maintaining the same daily carry rig becomes paramount if one wishes to be truly proficient with ones carry gun. Basing ones carry rig on a guesstimated treat level is the same flawed notion of "I don’t need my gun, I’m only going to the 7-11".    
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Anytime I'm carrying a pistol, I carry at least two spare mags. Depending on season and other variables, I carry either a Glock 30 in a Blade-Tech IWB or a Para P1445 in a Galco shoulder rig. In either acse I carry two spares. In extreme summer heat I carry a Ruger SP101 and two speed loaders in my pocket. The revolver just disappears with a pocket holster - I can conceal it even wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#27]
When I carry my glock 23 I don't carry a spare mag. I think if I need more then 14 rounds I'm probably fucked anyway. With my S&W j frame, I carry once speedloader.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone looked at the article in the March/April American Handgunner about Lance Thomas?
If you haven't you should....the basic idea is that far too often criminals are set in their way and 2 or 3 shots might not do the trick
I also saw on TDC about the FBI academy that they train their people to keep shooting until the threat is incapacitated because adrenaline keeps the body moving and it takes time for wounds to bleed out.
Applying what I have learned I carry as much ammo as I can comfortably carry.
For me it is 2 10 rd spare mags for a total of 31 rounds.
I feel it is better to be over prepared and be made fun of for being a "kook" than to find myself in a situation were I wish I had the extra ammo.

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Usually only one. If I'm behind enemy lines then perhaps two.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I carry what appears to be a small camera case that holds my pistol with two extra mags...even if we're going to 31 Flavors.  It's those times that you believe yourself safe that will trip your ass up.  Be a good scout and be prepared.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I carry one high cap for the 9mm's.
For the single stack 45 ACP,I carry two.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think you would want to carry 1 extra mag. minimum. Most problems with auto-loaders are magazine related.

Good advice. Even if you carry a high cap gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I have 8+1 of .45 230 gr Hydrashok in the gun. I have been carrying one extra 8 round magazine. I have given serious consideration to having two additional 8 rounders in the car for car trips, but have not done so yet.
I do not feel under prepared, but I sometimes drive to remote area to takes depositions or attend hearings.
When I have to drive south to the built up areas I am fine with having 17 rounds, since the police are only a few minutes away even in the ghetto. It's the wilds with no cell towers and no cops that makes me consider a larger ammo supply.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#34]
For a handgun you should carry at least two reloads regardless of its capacity, and then you should carry as many as you can afford and fit on your person without being in your way.

"A handgun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable"
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't carry a spare mag on me, but one is in the car.

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Almost always one extra mag, usually a backup gun as well.

Be sure to practice with all those different rigs you carry. When you go to your right side for for IWB gun and it's not there because it's in the SOB or shoulder rig is more common than you think. If your reloads are always on your weak side and you move them know where they are.

Muscle memory WILL kick in when the adrenaline is pumping at max.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Almost always one extra mag, usually a backup gun as well.

Be sure to practice with all those different rigs you carry. When you go to your right side for for IWB gun and it's not there because it's in the SOB or shoulder rig is more common than you think. If your reloads are always on your weak side and you move them know where they are.

Muscle memory WILL kick in when the adrenaline is pumping at max.

That's good advice. Also, a good idea to practice drawing the weapon, especially when it's carried in something like an IWB, since you have to get your shirt out of the way to get at the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I carry a Sig 229 with two spare mags.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Kimber Ultra CDP in a Galco OWB on the strong side, with two additional WC mags in a holder on opposite side, all loaded with Federal 230 gr Hydra Shoks.

Total of 3 mags and 22 rounds...should be enough for most situations! :)

Cheers,

Steve
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#40]
 Despite being a really large guy that could carry a saws in a t-shirt... I like 1911's and glock 36 / sig 239 / sive weapons. Two spare mags brings me to the same level as my glock 31 with a +2 on it. All being said , I am not that worried about huge capacity. The extra mag or two is just smart and good insurance. Imagine getting your gun out and accidentially letting the mag drop by mistake into a snowdrift or tall grass???  Time for a second mag... oh yeah...
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#41]
All,

Anytime you carry a pistol, it's foolish to not carry at least one extra magazine, in a mag holder.  Preferably two.

Magazines are a weak point of any auto-loading weapon - I think if someone ever came up with a list of failures, documented by weapon, that   magazine problems would be at the top of the list...hands down.

Or this happens...

The incident that you've trained for actually happens.  You're already nervous...you're shaking due to the adrenaline running into your system.  You're engaging...the target's not dropping.  You settle down, continue to engage...target drops.  Target still moving, on the ground, and starts bringing his weapon up.  

You're empty.  Later, you find out that you hit him once out of eight shots fired, at 15 feet.

Think this is ludicrous?  Well, it actually happened to a buddy of mine...luckily, as a police officer, he's REQUIRED to carry extra magazines.  So he reloaded his Sig P220, engaged the target, and stopped the threat.  

Yep - this was his first time under fire.  Yep, he qualified 300/300 on every single course he'd ever shot prior to that, and was a Marine Corps (Infantry) veteran.

So what's the moral of this story.  Carry an extra mag.  Or two.  It really may save your life.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Lots of good advice about the extra mags for a variety of reasons.

Myself, I carry a Glock23C and at least one extra magazine (sometimes 2) on the weak side.

In addition to extra firepower, clearing jams, etc......I also find it simply helps to balance the weight distribution of all the crap I am usually wearing.....

Glock...extra mags....cell phone....Emerson folder....keys....wallet....surefire light..etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top