Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2002 5:22:29 PM EDT
I saw one today at the local dealer for $450 w/ Tasco scope and Redfield mounts.  Anyone ever had one of these? Let me know what you think, as I think I will buy it tomorrow if there is nothing too bad about it.  

P.S.  I finally found a job, since getting laid off a month ago.....so I am back to buying guns!!!!!

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, bud!
Did you pick up that Mauser 96 and run the bolt?
Sounds like a good deal and I've never heard anything 'bad' about these particular firearms.

How'd your other project work out?  Lemme know.
Don't stay up too late and get too tired to work, now.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody makes a barrel in .270 for a model 96 Mauser because it can't handle the pressure. You mean straight bolt,right? The Swiss made a straight pull bolt, but it was a K31 or some shit in Schmidt-Rubin 7.5 Swiss. Nothing over 43,000 CUP in M96! .270 is 52,000 or more.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
JarHead94,
I know which one you're talking about, and it is the MODERN MAUSER straight-pull bolt-action rifle.
I had a picture of one and just tossed it out with a load of old magazines and other stuff.
Figures.  I would've sent it to you.  Try a search on the net for a photo.  I'm sure you'll find something.

grimshaw, JarHead94 isn't referring to the old M96 Mauser, as in a Swede.  It's a thoroughly modern rifle that was introduced a few years ago.

edited for link:

www.sarcoinc.com/guns3.html
scroll down the page to D87 for a description.

www.sarcoinc.com/d87.html
photos and description

Found this on a dreaded 'Google' search for 'Mauser 96 straight pull'...

looking good, JarHead!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry! I've seen that rifle. Odd they gave it that number. Blaser makes a modern one, too that looks cool. Never handled one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
It's like the FN Forty-Nine pistol. They must be trying to confuse people on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Bus!

Long time no talk.  The project went fine, but I had to sell it to a cop friend on Sunday.  He absolutley WOULD NOT leave my house until I sold it to him.....so I am back at square one.  Don't know if I will make another, I didn't get to play with it enough to say for sure. Yeah, I did run the bolt, it was SWEET!!!!!!!

Grimshaw.........ROFLMAO!!!
If i had not seen the rifle in person, I would have thought exactly like you did.

I have almost talked myself out of buying it ( though it seems like a helluva deal).  I did alot of research tonite and found out they make it in .300 Win Mag.....so bigger is better, right?  Anyway, the dealer had a nice looking SAR1 (without an off-canter front site believe it or not).........ughhh....what to do?

Ya'll let me know what ya think!

Jarhead94

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, shoot!
I'd start with getting the dealer to order you a Remington 7400 Synthetic Carbine...comes in .30-06 ONLY!!!
Really.
The price is right in the ballpark, too.

Think about it.  If your vagrant LEO buddy wouldn't leave without the first one...WHAT are you doing?

THAT is what I'd do!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Bus,

Man, I'll tell ya.  We really should stop meeting like this.  I am so tired that I had to read your last post 3 times, and I think I am still confused......LOL

I think I should just stick to ARs, but then I have all these optics options that keep me up nights......I think I need serious help.  Surely this habit/hobby/lifestyle/the list goes on and on shouldn't keep us up this late......

Anyway...I wont know until the morning what I am gonna buy (but the ole' lady DID give me permission to use the checkbook, so sumthin's coming home).  I am gonna sleep on it....lol

Jarhead
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead
I'd buy it, I've got one in .243 Will do 1 inch groups @100 if I do my part,These were the last rifles made by Mauser before they were sold to SIG, Collectable? I don't know,( I know you don't see many) but they shoot great,and that's what they were made for!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top