Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2002 9:28:12 AM EDT
Hello, I'm new to this board so let me introduce myself.

I'm 22, in college, with a double major in chemical engineering and math. I started shooting .22lr target pistols when I was 19. I currently own a Glock 31 and CZ-75B handguns and a M44 Rifle.

I have very little experience shooting rifles but the IRS is financing my first evil black assult rifle. So advice is needed in the decision..

I want the rifle to be able to be used for ranges from CQB out to about 300 yards.

Total cost $1300 (INCLUDING OPTICS) willing to buy used.

I am 6'5" tall, which means my arms are longer than most people

... but here is the "unique situation"...

The rifle has to be used left handed. I am not left handed, but my right eye has nerve damage and I can not use it for shooting. Therefore I am stuck with left handed.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
CranialCrusader

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey there Crusader!  Welcome aboard!

OK, let me take a stab here.

$1300 will get you 'just about' anything including optics brand new.  Unless you are talking about high magnification/high $$ glass but, I don't think you are since you mentioned CQB.

Any quality AR, be it carbine or 20", will effectively engage targets from 0-300 yards so you're good there.  This question becomes more about the shooter than the weapon though...

Length of pull is something that is what it is on an AR.  All new ones are pretty much the same but this can be modified by the addition of adjustable butt plates or rubber spacers.  This factor really shouldn't influence your initial purchase decision.

Left handed ARs are available, I don't know who all makes them but I believe DPMS is one manufacturer.  I have seen lefties use standard ARs/M16s before though, its just a little scary sometimes...  

Also, if you consider getting into the AR10 (.308), the ejection path of the shells is forward to the 1 o'clock position.  This is obviously a whole different animal and more money but, it reduces the amount of hot brass hitting you in the right shoulder.

Can you share more info about how you want to use it?  I would recommend the following not knowing much about your intended use:

Carbine:

Bushmaster M4A3 (flat-top) or Armalite M15A4C with Aimpoint/EOTech/Trijicon optic.

Full size:

Bushmaster 20" A3 (flat-top) or Armalite M15A4 with Aimpoint/EOTech/Trijicon optic.

If you are looking to put magnified glass on it then I would recommend the Armalite A4 models as the have no front sight tower but can be mounted with one if needed very easily.

Hope this helps and make sure you show us what you got!

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
   Don't worry about the ejection. As long as you get a rifle with the brass deflector you should be okay. I'm left handed andI've  shot thousands of rounds thru several A2s and M4s and never had a case from my own weapon bother me. It's the guy  on your left that ya gotta watch. If you watch one in action, an A2 or M4 will usually throw brass from about the 1 o 'clock th the 3 or 4. Will often hit the deflector and go forward to land around the muzzle. Just slap an ambi. selector on it and have at it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Well,

I have just heard about something called a shell deflector, it should allow me to shoot a right handed rifle lefty without eating any brass. Have you heard much about those?

I plan on using it for punching paper of course. However, I want it to be ready for any SHTF scenerios that might come up be they urban or rural areas. So I want it to be as well rounded as possible. (both good for up close and medium ranges). Although this might be asking a bit much. I would say the most important range for me is going to be 0-100 Yards because I'm still a begining rifle shooter. However I want capability out to 300 Yards.

I'm a velocity freak too. (hence the .357 SIG pistol) So I like the idea of the longer barrel because from what I've seen 4" longer bbl gives about 250-300 FPS which isn't shabby.

Any reason why you are suggesting Bushmaster?

Let me know if you need more info,
CranialCrusader
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I want an AR-10 sometime in the not too distant future, but definately not this year.

I am a bit recoil shy when it comes to rifles and my shoulder is very boney. It hurts bad when I shoot even my M44 (it's about the power of a .308)

I need something with light recoil to learn on.

As far as sharing what I end up with! That I will do! However it will probobly take me a couple months to settle on things. It took me 6 months of research before I went with the .357 SIG Glock. I'm looking to purchase it around May-June, I figure if I start looking now I'll be able to get exactly what I want by then.

CranialCrusader
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Order a 2002 LEGP!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
You could pick up a Steyr AUG.  Those have an ejection system that can be set to eject either left or right, from what I've been told.

I don't know if they fall in your price range, though.  They were expensive last time I looked, and I'm sure they've gotten more so.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]
   Cranial, sorry if I confused ya. The deflector is simply that triangle- pyramid shaped lump at the rear of the ejection port, keeps us lefties from getting a hot case down the collar. Also responsible for that little dent on the fired cases.
   The AR type isn't too hard for a lefty, biggest pain is changing mags in the prone from an LCE(not much need for that when I was in college though), you just have to see what works for you and devise your own manual of arms for it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Stick with Bushmaster, I have dealt with all the other brands, while they are all good, Bushmaster is the best and at the best prices. As far as the model, you should shot or see one in person, If you are considering less than 300 yards and CQB go with the M4 style, all of mine have been like that. You can add a buttstock recoil pad to make the rifle longer since you are so tall. I am 6'1 and don't have any problems with mine.

My suggestion:
Bushmaster M4 wih flat top. Only drawback is the muzzle break but you can change that later

Aimpoint comp m2 w/ mount form Wes as MSTN- heard he is great to do business with and has the best prices.

You will want the fat colt M4 handguards, they look very cool $40 I think pete in NH has them

Don't forget mags(stick with USGI)  and ammo. all of this can be found of the equipment exchange for the best prices.

Here is what it will roughly look like-

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Cranial...

I do believe that DPMS offers "lefty" (i.e, ejects to left side, not right) upper receivers
in A2 and flattop+handle versions, as well as lefty bolt assemblies.  [Unless I'm brain-dead, I think you need a lefty bolt carrier.]  I I believe you can get a DPMS upper now that's made from *forged*, not cast alloy (forged is best, esp for upper receiver which "does all the work").

DPMS offer whole rifles too, and they have a good reputation for quality and support.  Unfortunately DPMS apparently does NOT offer mil-spec chrome-lined barrels. (Do not confuse chrome-lined with "chrome moly" or "Chromoly" - most AR15 barrel steels are in fact chrome moly, and this has nothing to do with lining).

Milspec chrome-lined barrels have military-sized chambers that offer far better chambering & extraction of ammo than "sporting" rifle chambers for a variety of ammo types. (Usually when you see a chambering, extraction, failure to feed problem on this board or the AR15 group mailing list it's often a rifle that has a non-milspec chamber, and a nonchromed barrel.)  Chrome-lined barrels are far easier to clean, don't really have corrosion issues, and last much, much longer than unlined barrels: chrome is far harder than barrel steel itself and offers much greater "lubricity" (reduced friction).

So...

(1) get a lefty upper receiver & bolt/carrier assembly from DPMS.  Send it to Bushmaster or Armalite and have 'em build up a rifle from this.

...OR...

(2) Get a chrome-lined Bushmaster, Colt or Armalite *postban* barrel in your choice of length (16" or 20") and send it to DPMS and have 'em build you up a DPMS gun w/chromelined barrel and lefty setup.

(3)  You could also use Rock River Arms or J&T Distributing - great folks, great service. Just supply 'em with the lefty upper/bolt and a chromed barrel and let 'em take care of the rest.

FWIW, you might check with Gunsmoke Enterprises (http://www.ar15.tv)  - I think they'll build you a Bushmaster at a fair discount, and will cooperate with your upper rcvr/bolt assy substitution.

Any of these ways you'll end up just fine.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Cranial,

I shoot lefty as well, and have never had a problem shooting a standard AR. I don't even need an ambi selecter switch. All you really need is practice. Lefty uppers are a waste of money, and non-standard. If you want a SHTF weapon, the more standard the better.

I will second the vote for the Bushmaster, but personally I prefer an A1 stock (a little shorter than standard A2) to the post-ban non-collapsable collapsable stock. With your real long arms, I would go with a standard A2.

If you want glass, I would also go with the flat-top.

Here is a pick of my carbine (I like irons, so I went with the A2 upper).

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I also have eye retinal damage which renders my right eye useless for shooting.  I am right-handed, but I shoot (rifles only) lefty.
I just have a regular AR15 by Bushmaster.  

Everything works fine, I just have to disengage my thumb to work the safety, but that is no big deal.  I could get an ambidextrous safety, but I am already used to it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
E-mail me,
I am Left handed, 6'-5" and cute as a button.
I crack me up.
I have stretched my stock AR in the length and in the grip and it makes a big difference.
Also have some optics and mounts.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
   Cranial, sorry if I confused ya. The deflector is simply that triangle- pyramid shaped lump at the rear of the ejection port, keeps us lefties from getting a hot case down the collar. Also responsible for that little dent on the fired cases.

I think he is talking about the plastic one that clips into the carry handle.  We used them in basic training for lefties.  They are just a larger deflection surface that stops the brass from coming back.

Also, I saw posted above about shells landing up near the muzzle...  Every one of my ARs (Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS) has always made a big pile of brass to the right and rear of me.  My AR10s are the only ones that throw brass forward.  What kind of upper is yours?  It would certainly be nicer where I shoot if the brass landed forward of the firing line like that!
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow guys, you sure have given me a lot to think about!

This is all great advice, I'm glad I have so many options. The problem is chosing one!

Keep it coming!

Thanks again,
CranialCrusader
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
The military clip that fit on the carry handle suck.  They seemed to throw the brass right doen my shirt sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#16]
    I've never seen a plastic shell deflector anywhere in the Army. FMJunkie's question of what my upper is ,well, it's a Colt,and it's attached to a lower that says stuff like M4 Carbine, 5.56MM  PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVT., etc. It also has a really neato 40mm thingy on the bottom. If I can't have 7.62 I'll settle for 40. And I do see A2s and M4s throw brass slightly to the front, not right at the muzzle but about in line with it and 5 or 10 feet to the right.But it seems to happen more with M16A2s than the M4s.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#17]
As far as length of pull is concerned, I believe the CAV Arms give you about an extra inch, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an A-1 Sales 16" upper and it puts the cases about four feet to the front and about
three feet to the right. First time i fired it I had a heck of a time finding my cases. LOL
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#19]
The military had a metal deflector that fits under the carry handle. I was used on early version of the M-16 that didn't have a brass defector.  I used one at Ft. Leanord Wood. It seemed to throw the brass down my right arm sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Here are pics of one of these deflectors, only works on A1 style uppers, I tried to see if it would attach to my Bushy Detach carry handle, not enough clearance(Yes I know there is absolutly no reason to attach it to an A2 upper, but just wanted to see if it would fit.)

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I think I'm leaning toward an A3 upper. That way I can use iron sites for up close, and while at the range going for distance I can attach a Leuopold Vari-XII 3-9x40 scope. I'm thinking this combo is the best one I've found so far

CranialCrusader
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top