Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2002 5:32:38 AM EDT
I have been hearing that DPMS has been having some quality problems. I have severial DPMS lowers and uppers and have had very good luck with them. Does anyone else have any knowlege on this.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I most certainly haven't seen it in any of the (27) 2002 LEGP's we've received so far, in fact, I'd say their quality has never been better!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
This is purely anecdotel, but last weekend I was at the range, and a guy had a brand new DPMS.

The bolt carrier seemed light to me, not like a standard bolt carrier.  He was shooting gun show reloads, and they wouldn't chamber.  No problem to me, I figured they were not full length resized.  I clear his rifle, take apart bolt carrier, inspect, and lubricate bolt and carrier, and then gave him some new q3131a.  Same issue.  Wouldn't chamber properly.  With that, and the bolt carrier gas rings appearing to suck, (seemed to large?) I told him to take it back to the dealer, cause I thought it sucked.

But we will all soon see, as I think the LEGP rifle is DPMS.

WL
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats what I thought.  I have personally bought three DPMS stripped lowers and assembled and shot them with no problems.   Thanks for confiming my thoughts on DPMS Quality.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is purely anecdotel, but last weekend I was at the range, and a guy had a brand new DPMS.

The bolt carrier seemed light to me, not like a standard bolt carrier.  He was shooting gun show reloads, and they wouldn't chamber.  No problem to me, I figured they were not full length resized.  I clear his rifle, take apart bolt carrier, inspect, and lubricate bolt and carrier, and then gave him some new q3131a.  Same issue.  Wouldn't chamber properly.  With that, and the bolt carrier gas rings appearing to suck, (seemed to large?) I told him to take it back to the dealer, cause I thought it sucked.

But we will all soon see, as I think the LEGP rifle is DPMS.

WL

DPMS has a tighter tolerance on there chambers.  Reloads or remanufactured loads that have not been re-sized properly do not always run.  I had the same problem but with Gov ammo even the Russian crap and it ran just fine though it.  The bolt had to be broke in just like the Bolt I got from Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have been hearing that DPMS has been having some quality problems

A few "know it all" pass these rumors around about various manufacturers.  Anytime you hear this, ask them if they shot the rifle or own it.  When they say. "NO", then take it for what their response is worth - NOTHING.

mark
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a DPMS and I couldn't be happier with it.  Mine is a 20" A-2, it exudes quality, I plan on using a DPMS lower for my next project.

BTW
Jared (works for DPMS) posted in the DPMS forum that ALL DPMS AR-15 rifles have M-16 NATO 5.56mm chambers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My DPMS upper seems to get South African shells stuck in it after a couple hundred rounds. They get stuck very good. Bought a Heavy extractor spring for it, hopefully it will fix it.
Seems to have tight chamber. Colt never did this nor did my bushmaster?

Only shoot south african so who knows?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top