Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2002 10:14:01 PM EDT
How hard is it to do?

I watched my armorer's video and it seems easy enough.

Is it easy?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Remove handguards.
Remove gas tube.
Unscrew barrel from extension (torque wrench).
Screw new barrel into extension (torque wrench).
Etc.

Obviously you'll want to use an armorer's wrench, or whatever, but I believe a torque wrench would take care of the job just fine in case you didn't have one.  Just dont scratch that new barrel of yours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Unscrew barrel from extension (torque wrench).

No, a torque wrench is only used for installing a barrel, not removing. Use a breaker bar or ratchet for that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Huh?

I would get the good BARREL NUT WRENCH  and loosen the barrel nut.  then then barrel and barrel extension should come with out of the upper.  I would replace the barrel with the extension all ready installed.  This is the critical part and where the head spacing is set.  Put some lube an the threads and re-tighten the barrel nut.  35ft.lbs and then to the next hole that lines up with the gas tube hole.  A good idea is to torque to 35 ft.lbs., then loosen, repeat 2 more times, then do it the last time.

Armalite sells the good wrench.  You should have the receiver block set too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top