Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 2:12:15 PM EDT
Over the past few months I have received numerous inquiries as to my impressions of the FAB-10 receiver.

In a nutshell, I like 'em. A lot. Hey, it's not an evil pre ban baby killin' assault rifle machine gun, but in California ya' takes what ya' can gets.

I have tried the FAB-10 lower receiver with:

Pre ban Colt 20" HBAR Blue Label R6700DC upper

Pre ban Colt A1 w/16" lightweight barrel upper

Pre ban Colt SP1 upper

Bushmaster 16" HBAR upper

Rock River Arms LEGP 16" M4gery upper

I have used the FAB-10 receiver with an A2 stock and a fake telestock.

I have had exactly ZERO problems. Function and reliability have been 100%. Loading from the stripper clips does take some getting used to, but is not hard to learn. I did install the extended takedown pins from Watsons Weapons to aid in opening the rifle. When you tilt the upper to the open position, it helps to cock the hammer, this gives you more room to maneuver the stripper clip guide and get your hand in there. Watch out for the bolt, that chunk of metal can get hot.

I have not timed myself, but if you can get the weapon open smoothly, don't fumble the clip guide and your strippers are sufficiently loose you can reload fairly quickly. However this is not your SHTF tactical reload zombie killing machine, so you should have a little time to reload.

When I first obtained the receiver, I noticed the rear takedown pin was tight. I deburred the pin detent and lightly polished the pin to solve the problem. The front pin is not as tight and just needed a little lube.

However the front lugs were extremely tight on the RRA upper, a little bit looser on the Bushmaster and fit the Colts very well. And one of my uppers (the Colt A1 16" lightweight) seems to fit slightly off to the left. This does not seem to affect function or point of aim AFAIK. All the other uppers seem to be aligned and centered correctly.

The finish has held up well so far. But I have not used Gunscrubber or similar products on the lower. And I probably never will.

The rifle went bang w/every squeeze of the trigger. All bullets impacted at point of aim.

Sorry, but I don't have any more pictures right now.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it here. Feel free to e-mail me if you need any more info. Or post here, I'll respond.

And, no, I do not work for or even know the guy who builds these things. I have talked to him on the phone. He seems like a nice, friendly gentleman who is very concerned with the erosion of our rights in this state.

One other thing. The list price for a stripped lower, as I recall, was about $165.00-$170.00 according to the website. An assembled lower was approximately $230.00. Expect some dealer markup, hey the dealers gotta' eat too. If you are paying more than $300.00 for an assembled lower you need to negotiate a better deal.

Haggle and do cash deals. The dealer wants your business. Haggling can pay off.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't find em, can you post a link to it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
If you mean a link to Gogogadgets, here ya' go.

www.gogogadgets.net

Please keep in mind that the legal info on this site is supposedly incorrect. The product info should be right though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
operatorerror,

I just assembled my FAB-10's too w/ a couple of Bushmaster uppers. One of my receivers was super tight!  You need a hammer and a punch to even begin to take the pins out.  How did you polished the "extended take-down pins"?  I may try that to see if it helps.  I tried working the rear take down pin for 2-3 hours and it is still locked on tight.  I can't imagine me taking a hammer and a punch with me to the range everytime I need to reload...

George

PS - my 2nd lower fits great.  It is tight but you can still use your fingers to take the pins out.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
This is Craig from CMS Engine Service/
Gogogadgets.  Just to give you a little update on the FAB-10.  First off for the last 4-5 weeks I have been retooling in order to meet the overwhelming demand for these receivers.  I was not certain how well these would be received and really did not expect to sell more than a couple a week.  I had no choice but to shut down so that I could build new jig fixtures and buy faster tooling.  Since this is a secondary business for me it takes every spare minute of my time to reprogram and retool.  It is not the fault of the dealers for not having receivers these last few weeks. I am ready to start production again this week and will be able to supply receivers on a more consistent basis.  As far as feed back, I have had absolutely not one complaint on function.  Some have commented that the receivers were on the tight side.  I originally manufactured these to be on the tight side so that they could be custom fitted to any of the various receivers.  The problem is that alot of the buyers do not have tools or reamers that are necessary to correctly fit these lowers. Since I am an engine machinist, I am always trying to keep tolerances to a minimum.  This does not allow for a broad interchangability.  The new receivers that I am producing are slightly looser to allow for a more broader match up.  They are only slightly looser, not sloppy.  Anyone who experiences too tight of a receiver from the first receivers I have sold and cannot seem to fit them just contact me and I will custom fit it for you.  I have been in business for 24 years and customer satisfaction is high priority. Thanks.  Craig
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to have to get one of these for my newly liberated upper and buttstock when I get the group buy ZM!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
My FFL just told me yesterday he put in the order to Craig for one FAB10 lower. I'm looking forward to getting it. One plus for the po' folk around here...you ain't gonna burn up a whole lot of ammo real quick with this! Craig, if you're still here, how long do you expect until orders from this week are shipped? I'm only looking for a rough ballpark figure, not expecting to the day accuracy. Thanks

Thought I'd add...
You don't have to live in California to buy one you know! As much as we spend money on other "non-essential" items around here, this looks like something I wanted to check out in person. One more "variation" if you will.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than the "tight fitting" problem on one of the receivers I am happy with my receivers overall.  Craig had offered to take tight receiver back and fix the fitting for me.  I will probably take him up on that if I can not fix the problem by polishing the rear take down pin.  

Craig and his wife are good people to deal with.  I am happy that their business is taking off and that they are making a product that allows us Californians to have a taste of the AR-15 after the ban.

George
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top