Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 6:55:42 AM EDT
Okay, I'm close to purchasing a Springfield National Match M1A with a rangefinding 6X40 scope.  The gun shop opens Wednesday so I have a couple days to think...

That said, I already own a sweet shiny black Remington 7400 30-06 carbine with a 3X9 scope and the accuracy is 2" MOA great to 200+ yards (haven't stretched it's limits but I'm sure I can improve on that).

Part of me wants the M1A for the thrill of owning an legendary firearm like the M1A.  (otherwise why spend the $$$ on a 308 when ya already got a 30-06).  The other part of me wants the M1A for the extreme long range accuracy I've read about.

I just finished reading member Salsa's topic "Springfield M1 loaded or AR10"  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=99583 and its got me wondering...

I guess I always assumed the M1A was capable of amazing accuracy...though it seems the AR10 is comparable.  Can anyone expand on the accuracy of these rifles?  Who's really experienced both at extended distances?  Does the National Match setup really have an advantage?

Bottom line, if the AR10 is in fact a more accurate rifle that the Springfield, I'd seriously consider dropping the pricey M1A purchase all-together and go for a preban AR15, a new AR10, or even a Mossberg 590.  I guess I could also hold on to the cash.  I was 100% on the Springfield till I read that recent post!  So post your opinion cause my brain overheats when I deliberate over this!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
First, I have to say I don't own an M1A but have shot a few.  They are nice rifles, without a doubt.  I do own an AR10T and have been absolutely amazed at what this rifle can do.  Mine prints .5 MOA out to 200 yards.  I will be testing it out further soon.  It's a very stable platform.  Solid bolt lockup by design, great platform for optics.  You may want to go over to snipercountry.com and do a search there.  The AR10 is a very frequent topic of conversation as is a gunsmith named George Gardner.  This guy does outstanding things with the AR10.  Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top