Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 3:59:24 PM EDT
I know this is arfcom, but I am posting for an Inet challenged friend who is looking to sell it to build up funds for a proper EBR.  Since I don't know particularly much about the model, or where to look for info, I figured this would be as good a place as any to start.

I haven't seen the carbine in person, but from what I understand, it is stainless with a folder [also has the original wood stock], has a 4X Weaver, and some presumably stainless 40-round mags.  Sorry, I know that isn't much to go on.

Any suggestions as to approximate value, as well as what I should look for "feature-wise" when I do put my hands on it would be most appreciated.  No, I am not thinking of buying it [wouldn't want to waste the safe space], just trying to help a buddy out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
$350 - $400 tops

The mags are virtually valueless.

Without knowing who made the folding stock, it's almost worthless.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I wasn't even thinking that much.

On the folder, can you give any suggestions as to what manufacturer would be desireable as compared with those to be avoided?

I have read about the mag issues for this model.... again, suggestions on good, bad, ugly?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless it's a Ruger factory folder it's a write off.

My estimate was based on the assumption that the rifle is in 90% or better condition and it's Ranch model.  Adjust downward if condition is worse or it is a standard Mini-14 Model.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Please pardon my ignorance on this model, but what is the difference between Ranch and standard?  

The owner has several very nice weapons [that he takes quite good care of], so I am confident the condition is quite good, and he commented that very few rounds have been down the pipe.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ranch model has mounts for a scope and typically comes with Scope Rings.

The Standar Mini-14 does not.  If you want to mount a scope on the standard Mini-14 you have to drill holes in the receiver and stock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Please pardon my ignorance on this model, but what is the difference between Ranch and standard?  

www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm

You can usually buy them all day long at $300 or so.  Great handling rifle, but so many issues.  There was a thread here several months ago about improvements Ruger is planning to make to the platform, hopefully they will follow through.

On the flipside, I have a Mini-14 I've been offered $1100 for
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold my ranch rifle at the funshow for 375.0, It was in very good condition.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Standar Mini-14 does not.  If you want to mount a scope on the standard Mini-14 you have to drill holes in the receiver and stock.

I am familiar with the typical Ruger rings; presumably, it would be a ranch model then, since it has a scope, and knowing how this guy thinks.  Thanks for that most beneficial tidbit!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am familiar with the typical Ruger rings; presumably, it would be a ranch model then, since it has a scope, and knowing how this guy thinks.  Thanks for that most beneficial tidbit!

You're welcome.  I hope all goes well for you and your friend.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the link Y5; I'll read it again thoroughly when I have a bit more time.  

I think that my friend may just have a pretty decent example of the lower end category.  

Top Top