Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2020 12:56:35 PM EDT
https://thetacticalguru.com/diy-gun-bluing/

I have never used or seen this method before. Has anybody ever seen what kind of finsih it produces?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll notice that there are no examples of the work.

The article has the smell of one written by a writer given a little general information and no hands on experience, and probably not even a gun owner or shooter.  Unfortunately a common occurrence.

The premise of that process is that somehow the parts rust in the solution and then are converted without knocking the excess rust off the surface first.  Rust is rust, so there is no reason a spray down with a salt solution and exposure to humidity wouldn't work.  It might not be efficient.

The process in the article is easy enough to confirm.  Try it with a small part in the kitchen.
View Quote
That was kind of my train of thought as well. I figured they were trying to rust blue but didn't mention carding or multiple dips.......... .If I get some time later I'll try to find a junk piece and see what happens on a reduced scale.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The last time I blued anything I used acetone, then a strong non chlorinated barek cleaner and then a bath in boiling distilled water before going into the solution
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top