Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2017 3:55:43 PM EDT
Hello I rattle canned one of my ar15s and while at the time I thought it would be cool I am kind of regretting it.  What is the best way to strip the spray paint off the rifle? I used just standard rustoleum camo. Also can taking off the paint cause any issues? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello I rattle canned one of my ar15s and while at the time I thought it would be cool I am kind of regretting it.  What is the best way to strip the spray paint off the rifle? I used just standard rustoleum camo. Also can taking off the paint cause any issues? Thanks.
View Quote
Depending on the paint, you should be able to get it off with mineral spirits, paint thinner or kerosene without any damage.  Use a rag and get a good supply of q-tips, or take the parts off of it and soak in a bucket of any of the substances I mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Citristrip is what we use. (Sold at walmart) And no it won't cause any issues. You'll have to do a second application of Citristrip to get the nooks and crannies just FYI, but it works as intended.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#4]
another plug for Citristrip. I used it to remove black paint from AK74 mags. It removed the paint and left most o the original ink stamps on the bakelite underneath intact. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Citristrip is what we use. (Sold at walmart) And no it won't cause any issues. You'll have to do a second application of Citristrip to get the nooks and crannies just FYI, but it works as intended.
View Quote
I forgot about that stuff, yes it is good and mild as well, that would work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used acetone and a brass brush to good effect.  Citristrip didn't work well for me but I also oven cure my paint
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Citristrip and an old toothbrush; one or two applications is usually enough to remove 99%. Afterwards I'll use some warm water and soap to remove any remaining haze and wipe with a light coat of oil.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Aircraft Paint Remover, I've done a few and it works well. Pour it in a disposable foil pan, soak parts and use brush of some sort. Do it outside of possible.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the responses. I will probably pick some of that stuff up. In the meantime would nail polish remover work or would it cause issues with the cerakote under?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used Citrus Strip, but I wasn't a huge fan.  It was messy to work with and left an orange substance in nooks and crannies.

I had really good luck with Goof Off

Amazon Product
  • The product is Goof Off, 16 OZ, VOC Paint Remover.
  • Elegant and smooth finish
  • The product is manufactured in United States

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Aircraft Paint Remover, I've done a few and it works well. Pour it in a disposable foil pan, soak parts and use brush of some sort. Do it outside of possible.
View Quote
This stuff and a stiff bristled brush should work well for most rattle cans.

You can buy it at an auto parts store
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always had good luck with 100% acetone nail polish remover from CVS used with a rag and a hard bristle tooth brush.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've always had good luck with 100% acetone nail polish remover from CVS used with a rag and a hard bristle tooth brush.
View Quote
THIS^  
Aircraft remover is pretty damn harsh stuff.  I would not use it on a gun personally.  I've used it on motorcycle gas tanks and fenders though.  OUTDOORS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top