Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2015 2:13:42 PM EDT
Alright, I realize there is already a refinishing forum, and that within that forum there is a thread very similar to this.  The problem is, that section doesn't get a whole lot of traffic, so there aren't a bunch of posts.

I just figure, since we've got a whole bunch of other "different color" AR picture threads here, it would be nice to have a rattle can one.  So, mods, if this is a no-go, feel free to delete.

It'd be cool if you could add a little blurb about which paints you used to rattle can your AR.  That's one of the main things I hated about the thread in the refinishing forum, nobody posts what they used.

Anyways, I'll start off.  These are just a few of the rattle canned AR's I've had, both past and present.

These first three utilized Rustoleum Camo Tan, Rustoleum Camo Green, and Aervoe Coyote.

This one used Aervoe Desert Sand, Aervoe Earth Yellow, Aervoe Coyote, and Aervoe Highland.

This used Rustoleum Camo Tan, Rustoleum Camo Green, and Rustoleum Camo Brown.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm down for this thread.

TAG
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll play. Edit: ALL rifles painted with rustoleum cammo/ flat colors. Tan, OD, purple (supposed to be brown), light green, and std flat brown. CQBR is painted with tan and flat brown.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Only a minimal amount of care was used when painting this (first time for me) ... only used 2 colors.

LMT 14.7 LW

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, what did you use to wrap your handguard on the  first rifle?  McNett?  Looking for something similar to help keep from burning my hand.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Those look so sweet. I want to paint mine bad, but I can't bring myself to do it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
IMG_4061 by splittiebus66, on Flickr

IMG_4060 by splittiebus66, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
This ones about half rattle can. The rest is Gunskins(receivers and mid section of barrel) and hydro dipped(stock). I used a Primary Arms template for the blotches.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Great thread!

In before the inevitable move to the refinishing forum since a painted rifle thread is just about the only pic thread that isn't allowed in here for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Still my favorite every time I see it.

I see your paint got burnt on to your can. Mine too haha
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#10]
In FTW
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Still my favorite every time I see it.    
I see your paint got burnt on to your can. Mine too haha
View Quote

Ha ha,  I'll spray it again when its warm or if I get bored. Only good suppressor is a toasty one!

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Crummy pictures but you get the idea. Rustoleum camo collection from Home Depot. Khaki, Dark Earth, and some kind of Foliage I believe. Walmart lingerie laundry bag for the net.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]
WP_20141220_004 by splittiebus66, on Flickr

WP_20141220_003 by splittiebus66, on Flickr

I've had a number of people ask me about my rifle and how I painted it...here's the jist

I use a method much like Pat Rogers and others. Aervoe paints are available through DSG arms. I'll try to add some tips for using paint that is cheaper and more readily available.

Step 1: Clear rifle of hate dealing SMK/OTM/PSP/BSB rounds and magazines. Grab favorite adult beverages, and buy the girlfriend/wife something shiny so you can have time alone with your mistress!

Step 2: Prep the rifle. I remove the BCG so oil isn't seeping out, close off all doors/covers etc. I paint the rifle whole with all accessories/optics etc. ( save the sling ). Tape off what you want to not be painted. Shove an ear plug into the muzzle. Get as much oil/grime off the rifle as possible with a soft rag or T shirt. Also take care to tape off any rubber parts ( light switches) etc. real good. * Also on that note "rubbery" plastic parts like Magpul P mag base plates also take an extra while to dry and require some patience while handling!

Put on nitrile gloves ( skin oil can dick up the prep )

I use alcohol or non chloronated brake kleen and degrease the rifle really good. I try to paint when warm/hot. Let the rifle heat up in the sun or by another source.

Step 3. Base coat. I use an old Christmas tree stand, and close the donor mag in the tines so the rifle is upright for the base coat step.

I used AERVOE SAND for the base coat ( don't accidentally order DESERT SAND that is a white! ) for the color.

I've found a sneaky trick if you want to use the readily available Krylon or Rustoleum Khaki/FDE paint. By themselves these paints dry very "white" but if you think like painting a wall etc. you can use a Darker Brown 1st as a base and darken the result.

Method A: Spray one or two coats of the Aervoe Sand. Just aim for general coverage and don't get to close. Don't shoot for perfection! Let dry between Coats.

Method B: Spray a coat of Rustoleum Earth Brown camo. Let dry. Spray a light coat or two of the Khaki. The undercoat again darkens the white Khaki. If it is still too light for your case do a VERY light over spray of the Dark Brown or a Coyote color if you have one. NOTE for the future: Overspraying is dangerous, it gets out of hand QUICK! The results are nice though.

Step 4. Pattern/Mask selection and Camo. Choose your other colors. I lay the dry base coat gun down on clean cardboard. I spray the pattern 1 side at a time.

I use the following colors which are great for the Pennsylvania Woods.

AERVOE HIGHLAND: Awesome Coyote brown.

AERVOE MARINE CORPS GREEN: Dark almost black Green

AERVOE DARK GREEN: lighter forest Green

AERVOE DESERT SAND/RUSTOLEUM KHAKI/KRYLON KHAKI/TAN: white/super light tan

Note: If you want a large break up for a back ground you can cut large wavy sections of cardboard. Spray close to the gun. This is a good way to get a "multicamish" under layer/wash alternating between Green and Brown. You can experiment with Dark brown and Coyote over your FDE base coat for a different look.

I skipped that for my Guns but have experimented on other bits and pieces.

I use camo netting from the Army navy store as a mask. I cut several large and small pieces to work with and only spray one color through each piece so I don't screw it up LOL! You can also use foilage etc. but I'm cool with the mask

You can create a similar pattern on the cheap with an old T shirt. Cut various size holes in it.

The secret to breaking up the pattern is to "double" over your mask.

1. Set mask in place/ double over. Spray Coyote color. Here and there try not to spray every hole. Don't get too close to the mask or the paint may puddle in the net itself and drip. You can also experiment with one large piece of mask over the whole gun/parts and a small piece moved around on top.

Let dry and flip over to side B, repeat.

2. Move the net or I use a new piece. This ensures the pattern changes and the colors aren't sloppily mixed ( undried paint of another color on the net)

Now spray the Marine corps green.

3. Do the same with Dark Green.

By now the camo job is coming together reward yourself, drink a beer!

Step 5: Other painting considerations

1. At this point you can overspray an OD green ( AERVOE POST WWII OD ) or the like if you want to blend the colors. I don't do this anymore, I found that it was easy to over do and the gun ended up being too Green. I now prefer to let the colors pop and dumb it down only if it doesn't work. If you do this step full power strokes from 18" away. Less is more.

2. You can also add Multicam ish light spots/pattern here. You can spray the Khaki/Desert sand light white/tan through the net or grab a sea sponge and pool the paint. Dip and make the odd dots and splotches.

3. You can now Clear Coat it if you want. I don't bother Aervoe holds up good. Use a Matte Clear Coat and go lightly, even Matte can shine with too much.

Let the rifle dry in a heated spot if possible. You can shoot within a few hours, it might be tacky/stinky but who cares. If you drank several beers just wait until sober.

Other notes:

If you want the NSWC snakeskin look use a clothes hamper/car cargo net as a mask. Get the net as tight as possible. Spray the dark color through it on angles and mixed directions so it's not conformed.

I hope this helps. I may have forgotten some stuff but it's crazy fun painting stuff.

Another thing to do is to check your camo's effectiveness. Take it out in the field and see how it looks. Another perspective is to take some pictures at a reasonable distance and see if the gun blends in. Don't expect the gun to be invisible (LOL) right next to you, HOWEVER I have seen some scary paint jobs on here where I'm pretty sure the OPs would lose the rifle if they werent careful!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I vote dupe, lock it down.

Because this thread in AR Discussions is going to make it even harder to resist rattle canning my SBR.

This may or may not be a place holder.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I stripped it down and sold it during the panic but this was mine.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Green barrel, brown lower, FDE upper and handguard, and foliage furniture.  I can't see myself ever paying for cerakote.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Potato pic of my BCM.  I just sprayed it with Krylon khaki until there was no more black

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]
They will move it again.... Let's hope they don't.

krylon fusion sand and brown

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#21]
In before the move.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
RustOleum Sand, Aervoe Earth Brown, Krylon OD

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
In on one

ETA: I missed it. Thread is now moved.

Good try RJeff21.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#24]
This is hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Might as well close it down. Mods don't want any fun happening afterall.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#26]
This is what happens when the wrong people are put in charge.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I told you all it would get moved.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#28]
ba humbug...

guess its time to start getting paint and wait for nice weather, sweet lookin sticks you guys have
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]
It's sad they won't let it stay.

It's no different than a FDE thread or a OD green thread.

Lame if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Stink.

This was gonna be my new favorite thread.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lame if you ask me.
View Quote

My thoughts as well. It's a shame because I like this thread, but I might come into this forum once a year.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lame if you ask me.
View Quote

Also no difference with the BCM pic thread, the DD pic thread, the Bushmaster pic thread, etc. They all have their own industry forums for their own pic threads, but they're never moved either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Fun detected
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Rustoleum camo brown, khaki, and green.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#36]
The best part of this thread so far is that the OP's request of everyone posting the paint and / or colors they used was quickly ignored, just as in the other thread like this.  It makes it awful cluttered when the thread gets filled with quotes from previous pages and the inevitable "what paint / color is that", but the quote only contains the image URL.  

I agree with the OP that if you're gonna post a rattle can pic, post what you used.  I personally scour these threads for ideas and just about every time I've found inspiration, there are no details as to what was used.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I also see no harm in having this Pic Thread in the AR Discussions forum that gets far more traffic.  Oh well.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Agree. There are Mk12 threads, mk18 threads, yet camo threads have to be put in a pit that no one visits.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#39]
My Kino and M&P15/22. I used a piece of camo netting and an old sniper veil for the patterns. The colors were Krylon Sand, Khaki, Woodland Light Green, Olive, and Brown.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fun detected
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I used mostly Rusto Camo colors on these (Tan/Khaki base coat, O.D. Green and Dark Brown on top). There is a little American Accents Nutmeg, Leafy Green, and Painters Touch Meadow Green in there too. The Meadow Green is the only gloss color in there, so I tried not to use too much of that, and misted a little Tan on top.
Used a mesh laundry bag and leaves/plants found around the yard for stencils.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The best part of this thread so far is that the OP's request of everyone posting the paint and / or colors they used was quickly ignored, just as in the other thread like this.  It makes it awful cluttered when the thread gets filled with quotes from previous pages and the inevitable "what paint / color is that", but the quote only contains the image URL.  

I agree with the OP that if you're gonna post a rattle can pic, post what you used.  I personally scour these threads for ideas and just about every time I've found inspiration, there are no details as to what was used.
View Quote

I mostly use some form of spray paint. Mostly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lame if you ask me.
View Quote

agreed....my humble 20" WOA precision with Leupold VX-2 glass.
Rusto Camo Khaki, Earth Brown, laundry bag:

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#44]

All done with Krylon Camo. FDE, OD and dark brown.
A pair of my wives fishnet stockings stretched over the weapon, then spray in random directions and splotches.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Green barrel, brown lower, FDE upper and handguard, and foliage furniture.  I can't see myself ever paying for cerakote.  

View Quote

makes me think of boba fett.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8628/15567102103_980f753815_b.jpg

Nice rig..... Clone wars?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is hilarious.
View Quote

Why so?  
I don't don't dig the camo some part's but not all.
Seem's like a waste
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:44:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why so?  
Seem's like a waste
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is hilarious.

Why so?  
Seem's like a waste

I only said that because the thread got moved when there are countless other "Post your ____ color" threads in AR General. I personally dig spray painted rifles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top