Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Sponge Camo Tutorial (Page 1 of 10)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 8/15/2010 7:54:56 PM EDT
I wanted to share my experience trying out Sponge Camo and found only a few references on some other forums so I thought I would post a how to.

Materials-
Khaki, OD, and Oregano Rustoleum or Krylon
Sponge-Walmart craft section buy the one that look like natural sponges.
Gloves
A likely victim

I started by painting an old stock with a base coat of khaki.

I then painted random but fairly evenly spaced stripes of OD over the khaki base coat.

The next step was to spray some of the khaki onto a paper plate, then dip the sponge into the paint and dab the khaki paint onto the OD stripes. Dont go to heavy.

The next step is to take the sponge then dip it in OD paint then dab the OD paint on the kahki. Again don't go to heavy.

This is what you should have so far- not half bad but we're not done. The next step is to put some Oregano color over the whole thing again using the paper plate and the sponge.

After the Oregano.

I should have left well enough alone at this point but thought it needed some brown or dark tan so I started with a liitle Rustoleum Nutmeg and although its kind of close to the dark tan background in woodland Marpat I thought it was to light. I then followed up with some Rustoleum Chestnut-still to light. So––- I went with Rustoleum Flat Brown. It finished up a little busy but blends in well.

Not bad for a first attempt.

I liked the overall effect and thought that for a rattle can job it looks outstanding.

For my next attempt I decided to try an urban type camo consisting of Rustoleum light gray, medium and dark gray primer. The victim is my son's old airsoft gun.

Here is the finished product. It seems that using three colors keeps the pattern a little more open and defined.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use this technique with Duracoat. I've painted with stencils and will continue to do so but this seems like alot of fun and it's not permanent.

The next victim will be one of the ARs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhreakMode:

Instead of using a sponge, try a piece of plastic tarp (in a similar manner):

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/phreakmode/DSC_0195_zps48cf6aa2.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2013 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Mind going into detail on how you pulled that off? This is some of the best sponge camo I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey thanks! It was my first attempt! I used a basecoat of rustoleum satin dark taupe, then a few big stripes of rustoleum flat camo dark green.  Tore up little pieces of sponge and dabbed the taupe over the green stripes and dabbed green over the taupe stripes. Then all over dabbed the rustoleum camo flat light green and rustoleum camo flat light sand or tan-cant remember the exact color names of the camo paints but they only make 4 or 5 colors anyway.
      After that just sort of keep dabbing all four colors as you see fit for a nice blend. I also sprayed the sling in the satin dark taupe and striped it with the darker green.  Overall the whole thing looks really good in person, I was afraid to do it at first, drank two beers to get started, and I'm really happy with the result.  Thanks to this forum for the inspiration.. http://
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ultramagbrion] [#4]
I shot a base of darker green , and then hand painted the gray and brown 'branches'....then started sponging on the colors, black over the 'branches' ....

.....then some greens and tan

I'll let it set all up and then check a few spots to see if I should put a flat clear over it all .

Its cloudin up hard here ....gonna get wet soon , but together , waiting on optics ....

Link Posted: 8/28/2013 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jrn156:
I wanted to share my experience trying out Sponge Camo and found only a few references on some other forums so I thought I would post a how to.
View Quote

i just noticed that your table cloth would make an interesting pattern  
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
after a very unfortunate sponge painting episode with one of my rifles, i came up with this design on a pair of old handguards. gonna repaint the rifle as soon as i get the old paint off.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
here is my attempt at it krylon olive drad,rustoleum army green,krylon sand, krylon black. 2 light coats of krylon matte clear

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 9:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theunforgivenll] [#8]
gave it a try on the old sks, it was easy, laid down a texutred base, followed buy khaki tan, then sponged brown and black.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I already posted this scheme earlier in the thread, but I never posted one outside (these were taken in the spring).

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of these turned out seriously amazing looking. I'm still trying to gather the balls to do this to one of mine. I have a few spare stocks laying around that I will experiment with first. Thanks for sharing guys!
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
1st time with a sponge.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys clear coat over it?  If so, what will hold up to my kids abuse best?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#14]

So this is my Ruger 10/22 stock cut down 4 inches for my 7 year old daughter...  Roughed up take off i got for $25 at gun show...  not original for this rifle.

Before i re-assemble, do i put on protective coat or no?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:
You guys clear coat over it?  If so, what will hold up to my kids abuse best?
View Quote

I wanted my camo to hold up a little while longer, so I did 2-3 "light" clear coat applications. That way it would build up and not have as much sheen to it. Seems to have worked fine, and I haven't noticed anything other than some slight wear on my grips. Even there it isn't really noticeable. It still looks great after 5-6 months using it every weekend.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Best sponge camo I have ever seen. Very well done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That means a lot coming from a man of your experience; thank you.

I'm seriously considering repainting my mk12 in a similar pattern.

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Agreed. It's a fantastic looking rifle. This effort has finally given me the nerve to begin painting my favorite AR. The khaki base is drying now...I'll post pics when it's done.

Aiming that first blast of Krylon at the ACOG still made me nervous, though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, better or worse, here it is...

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Just curious, what did you use for the sponging? Doesn't look like a natural sponge type pattern.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Laser Strike with new TKC scales.

Sponge job to Sheath

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 6:16:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#23]

Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:
Just curious, what did you use for the sponging? Doesn't look like a natural sponge type pattern.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:

I used natural sponges and went pretty light on the pressure.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bigmoney327:
<a href="http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/bigmoney327/media/20130915_195732_zps39ada909.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s466/bigmoney327/20130915_195732_zps39ada909.jpg</a>
View Quote

... and you did a great job on that peach too!

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 11:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Doomstick] [#26]
Here is my first attempt.  Thanks to jrn156 and all the other contributors for the advices and ideas!

Link Posted: 10/9/2013 5:02:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#27]
Thanks for teh inspiration, and showing that's it's so damn easy, even I could do it.
Receiver will get done after I throw an optic on there.

Finished now

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dalynchmob:
http://i44.tinypic.com/1z3vu5z.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, nice try, jerk! You think by posting a picture of a tree that I'm just going to assume that your AR is camo'd so good that I won't be able to see it. Great plan. I'm onto you; there's no AR in this picture. Whatevs, bro. Whatevs.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Finished product, just ahve to get the scope back on and re-zero.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:
Finished product, just ahve to get the scope back on and re-zero.

http://i41.tinypic.com/16c5dnp.jpg
View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:48:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stjjames] [#32]
Older pic of a sidearm & some gear I painted / sponged.

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#33]
My attempt. Outside pics to follow once I can get it out in daylight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I read like the first sentence..and then I just started putting on a ton of paint..with a sponge..
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By camoman33935:
Here's my contribution to the thread. Just did it about 30 mins ago. I'm not totally sure if I like it or not...I guess it's a good thing I practiced on an old BB gun first lol. I think I may have went a little to heavy on the khaki spots.

What do yall think? Sorry for the huge pic.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/camoman33935/Camo%20Project/IMG_1331.jpg
View Quote

Rotate the sponge every time so the splotches aren't uniformly shaped.
That's a little sparse but a good start.
Also vary the size of the sponge splotches as well as the orientation.

Remember, think "random".
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#36]
Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:
Originally Posted By camoman33935:
Here's my contribution to the thread. Just did it about 30 mins ago. I'm not totally sure if I like it or not...I guess it's a good thing I practiced on an old BB gun first lol. I think I may have went a little to heavy on the khaki spots.

What do yall think? Sorry for the huge pic.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/camoman33935/Camo%20Project/IMG_1331.jpg

Something I discovered after this weekends painting was that the sponges work better if they have dried paint on them, making them stiff.    My used sponges from the morning spotting scope painting, worked much better in the evening on the rifle because they were so stiff.   It creates more intricate detail in the markings, and less blotchyness.  It's easier to get varied amounts of paint, and size of markings.

</a> image by guns762, on Flickr" />

image by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Something I discovered after this weekends painting was that the sponges work better if they have dried paint on them, making them stiff.    My used sponges from the morning spotting scope painting, worked much better in the evening on the rifle because they were so stiff.   It creates more intricate detail in the markings, and less blotchyness.  It's easier to get varied amounts of paint, and size of markings.
View Quote

Very true, I happened to come across this last time I painted.

Stiff sponges > soft sponges

It helps make more unique patterns, and looks better to me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I just realized I hadn't posted the results of my experiment in the sponge cammo technique!  Strange, since it was this thread from which I learned it.  Thanks to all for the tips and inspiration!

I did two Chinese guns I picked up cheap (for very good reason).  The stocks on both now probably have more wood filler and epoxy than actual wood, so a paint job was mandatory (in my mind, anyway).

Type 53 (top), Type 56 (bottom)
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragonfly228] [#40]
My buddies sponge job.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Looks good, but the off-color FDE mag makes it very easy to pick out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DelTonGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DelTonGuy:

Ive painted the mags since posting those pics but no outside pics with them.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:55:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Hammer] [#45]

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHWELL] [#46]
Weird, I thought I posted some of my Sponging jobs in the past. If I missed where I posted them, sorry.. This thread was such an Inspiration back in 2010, I haven't stopped  sponging since finding this thread and making that YT vid about it..

Here are a few of my favorites. These are all Airsoft, but I have done a few Real Steel guns that I don't have access to pics of right now..

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been incredibly skittish about painting any of my guns, but this technique seems just easy enough that I might not screw it up. I am VERY much not an artsy person.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By EvanWeeks:
I've been incredibly skittish about painting any of my guns, but this technique seems just easy enough that I might not screw it up. I am VERY much not an artsy person.
View Quote

Go for it. Worst case, you mess it up, and have to spray your firearm down with brakleen to get it back to stock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#49]
finally finished.  pretty happy with it, going to do a magazine to match i think.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Tacked Sponge Camo Tutorial (Page 1 of 10)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top