Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 1:31:50 PM EDT
So I've been playing around with Duracoat alot, did some knives, some stocks and pretty much anything else I could find to build up the skills needed to do my hunting rifle. This was my dads rifles that he got in the early '70s, it has seen alot of use and had some rust issues that brought about this idea.
Anyway, here is the project and pictures ducumenting the process I used.
Color is Magpul Flat Dark Earth.

Here it is right after this years hunt. Bell & Carlson synthetic stock, Bushnell Trophy 4x16x56mm scope on a Leupold base and rings.

An exploded view of the rifle ready for prep. All I did was sand and degrease and wipe it all down with a clean rag.

I masked off everything I didn't want to coat, and hung the pieces for paint.

a few coats later and and its ready for a good long cure.

And this is how it turned out! I'm going to do the Bolt knob in matte black here in a few days or so.
So what do ya'll think?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good!  Great idea to do the screw heads.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
really nice job!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you blast the bluing on the rifle or just sand it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I just sanded it. Its too long to fit in my blast cabinet and I can't find any Aluminum Oxide to save my life. I plan on blasting everything that I can but to be honest I've never done it before and getting evertyhing I need to get the system set up is a real pain in my ass right now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
you can get aluminum oxide from harbor freight and sometimes on ebay. there is also coal slag stuff called- black beauty thats cheap that the car guys use but ive never used it for guns.  on my small 99$ blasting cabinet i cut a hole in the side of it with a roto zip blade and screwed in a flange so i could put a 2 ft section of 4 inch white pvc pipe. it acts like a nice shelf to hold the barrel. i just blast half of it then turn it around. its a cheap solution to allow long guns in the cabinet for blasting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top