Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2008 7:00:25 PM EDT
Greetings to all, I have asked the Mods to tack as a refrence.

I see the questions every other week on refinishing thread like
What does Duracoat blahh blahh blahh look like?
what do you think of this Duracoat color?
Any one use this Duracoat color?
What Duracoat combo is best for a Camo job?

To make it simple lets track Only Different DURACOAT colors here. Most of us know the product's background and durability. If successful maybe a Rattlecan/Krylon Thread as well.
So... Lets see what duarcoat has to offer.
(hold for when pics work)
ETA - Pre Bans with Magpul Gen II followers in Duracoat Colt Gray mixed to LCW recommendations. Central Pnuematic compressor & airbrush.  
Scrubbed with scotchguard pads soap and water to remove the dryfilm, dryed and degreased before painting
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
An excellent idea.  Just be be sure we are getting things right, let's also include the recipe and surface prep too.

CProducts stainless mag:
steel wool to remove perma slik
sanded with 220 grit until bright metal exposed
2 tbsp Magpul FDE
1/2 tsp hardener
1/4 tsp flattener

This was about perfect to fill the pot on the cheap Central Pneumatic airbrush I was using and covered three 20 rd mags.

Shown next to magpul FDE stock and TangoDown FDE grip for comparison.  Under the bright flash it looks a similar brightness to the magpul stock but in person it seems lighter under most light.  In the future I plan to try a batch with a little bit of black to darken it.  I may also try leaving the base color as is and do a fine mist of black or brown to darken it and give it a little "texture" more like the magpul plastic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
This is an excellent idea as long as there is something to reference to- like the pic with the Magpul and TD parts relative to the DC'd mag.

What would be a VERY good idea is when you DC something, go to the local Home Depot or Lowe's, etc. and get paint sample cards.  Find the one that closely matches your color and post the brand and name of the color.  

That way we avoid differences in monitors and camera exposure, etc.  If you match an oddball DC color to a real paint chip I can get my hands on, I'll know EXACTLY what that color will look like.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Weather was perfect today so I took a long lunch and re-sprayed the mags like the one shown above.

This time the process was:
scuff duracoat with 220 grit.  
dunk in denatured alcohol
2tbsp Magpul FDE
1/4 tsp matte black
1/2 tsp flattener
1/2 tsp hardener
sprayed a single coat over the existing base layer.
Left them to "bake" in the back of my truck all afternoon with the camper shell closed and the truck parked out in the sun.

The color seems perfect.  Before the paint was a little lighter than magpul parts when in bright light and seemed much lighter in darker settings.  Now it looks like a perfect match.  Upping the amount of flattener also makes a big difference.  

This is taken in identical conditions to the pictures above.  Same position, same room, same floursecent shop light to the right, same camera, same flash setting.  The paint is much closer to the magpul plastic.

Here's the same shot with the flash turned off.  It's grainy because of the low light but you can see how it still looks the same as the magpul plastic.

These two were taken about half and hour after painting and show the mags in full sun and shadow.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is an excellent idea as long as there is something to reference to- like the pic with the Magpul and TD parts relative to the DC'd mag.

What would be a VERY good idea is when you DC something, go to the local Home Depot or Lowe's, etc. and get paint sample cards.  Find the one that closely matches your color and post the brand and name of the color.  

That way we avoid differences in monitors and camera exposure, etc.  If you match an oddball DC color to a real paint chip I can get my hands on, I'll know EXACTLY what that color will look like.

Pault & I are working on a bad ass idea now,
Give us a few to sort out the details.
user input will be required and will be beneficial to all on the refinishing forum.

Stay tuned
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That's quite the home-brew oven hoplophile!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2008 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
OD green, matte black, Magpul FDE with matte clear coat

OD green without matte clear coat.

combat green

Desert warrior dark earth on top of mag next to factory Magpul FDE rail cover.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]
By chance, any samples of VLTOR Foliage Green?  My monitor renders the sample color from Lauer's site much darker than I suspect it is, I would love to see some samples of coated products next to a VLTOR E-Mod, for example.

ETA:  Just answered my own question.  After running through the monster Refinishing thread, I found what I was looking for.

Compliments of charge5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top