Link Posted: 12/1/2023 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Any other observations?
Menu usability?
Comparisons to other similar products?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:
Here are some shots taken through the eyepiece. I just took these. Conditions are 40F and 83% humidity.

These are on the way and will be in stock soon

https://i.ibb.co/sqYfXCF/IMG-8104.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/bBGMJHp/IMG-8105.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/vQk0zKS/IMG-8100.jpg
View Quote

Image has an interesting look. Thinking that isn't a BAE core. Any insight on the sensor/core manufacturer? Will the screen margins be movable like the old school breach?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Chinesium 100%
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully it looks much better in person.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Again not chinesium lol.

These pics are snapped with my phone through the eyepiece. Here’s another one I took just now.

https://i.ibb.co/4WyT5jb/IMG-8126.jpg
View Quote

I know for the most part the built-in internal photo/video capturing is usually lower quality than what you can see via the eyepiece but maybe it will help with getting in focus footage and that would give a better clarity of what it can do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:26:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#12]
Again not chinesium lol.

These pics are snapped with my phone through the eyepiece. Here’s another one I took just now.

https://i.ibb.co/4WyT5jb/IMG-8126.jpg
View Quote

That does look more like an American core imo

I’m a big fan of the Chinese cores but I’ll be the first to admit that they don’t produce as much of a realistic image as that. Chinese cores look more like a high definition video game

I know this is definitely subjective and not a data point but here’s a photo from my RH25 for comparison

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:16:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jstokes1] [#13]
Agreed. Im a big fan of BAE cored units for this reason; due to the ultra realistic image they produced. I can tell from the pictures that this is going to be a great HMT with depth perception due to the image density. Here's one from my Voodoo S, and what I'm going to use as a "control" in the video review I'm going to shoot on the Side Kick 640.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jstokes1:
Agreed. Im a big fan of BAE cored units for this reason; due to the ultra realistic image they produced. I can tell from the pictures that this is going to be a great HMT with depth perception due to the image density. Here's one from my Voodoo S, and what I'm going to use as a "control" in the video review I'm going to shoot on the Side Kick 640. https://ibb.co/dfm5KKH
View Quote

Looking forward to that review. Post it up if/when you can.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 7:11:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#15]
NETD ?????  

My first reaction was thats a modified FLIR core, but if its not it must be BAE (and its not PRC e.g. dimensions).

The font, location of WHITE HOT, battery indicator, video and photo numbers are very, very FLIR like.  

Its not clear to me why they wouldn't say who manufactured the core, like IIT thats a no go from my perspective.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 7:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#18]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good.  TARGET looks very similar to OUTDOOR ALERT but dialled back a little.  Nice FOV.  

Would be great if you get the chance to compare against the Breach, with double the focal length it should be a really nice improvement.  

Is there any inbuilt adjustability e.g. sharpness or automatic gain control.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#20]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Wen?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I assume base mag is 1x? What's fov?
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:59:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#24]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I assume base mag is 1x? What's fov?
View Quote

~24 x 17 with 19mm focal length, 1 x base mag and 1 to 4 digital zoom
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 12:46:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#25]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Weight of Ravyn rail?
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Another showing off the Target palette. Same time/conditions as above.

Shot through the eyepiece. Image looks very close to the actual. The camera loses some detail but is a far better representation than the on-board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6UjSZ2rWkc
View Quote

That's much better than the same palette in my MH25 which just makes the warmest thing in view orange it seems.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#29]
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#30]
YaThermalBoi's review is out.  He's got some of the best thermal footage out there IMO.

YouTube
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MtnRoamer:
YaThermalBoi's review is out.  He's got some of the best thermal footage out there IMO.

YouTube
View Quote

thanks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MtnRoamer:

YouTube
View Quote

Great review, right on the money.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone else got one yet? I got mine last Thursday, but it's been rainy/ high humidity so I don't wanna judge it yet. Hope to be getting out this Friday to hunt with it!
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Hodgi_:
Anyone else got one yet? I got mine last Thursday, but it's been rainy/ high humidity so I don't wanna judge it yet. Hope to be getting out this Friday to hunt with it!
View Quote

My 320 sidekick will be here tomorrow, I missed the 640 preorder so once these get back in stock I will pick up another.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#35]
RAYVN GROUP Rayvn Rail. We have these in stock for anyone wanting to snag one at the same time as a Sidekick

ETA for those not familiar - the Rayvn Rail is articulating bridge with horizontal IPD adjustment. The Sidekick's display remains rectangular. All metal and MADE IN THE USA.

https://i.ibb.co/3rRv8Fy/IMG-8160.jpg
View Quote

for anyone on the fence, i highly highly recommend the rayvn rail. very solid with smooth articulation. i am able to achieve fusion with my breach due to the IPD adjustments - i cant imagine trying to achieve ghetto fusion without IPD...
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Infamous:

for anyone on the fence, i highly highly recommend the rayvn rail. very solid with smooth articulation. i am able to achieve fusion with my breach due to the IPD adjustments - i cant imagine trying to achieve ghetto fusion without IPD...
View Quote

Agreed!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Took my 640 out last night. Was about as I expected quality wise. Much better detail than my breach, the detection was good. Couple things I noticed was I have it set up to nuc automatically, and it seemed to nuc often. Really doesn't effect me much just an observation.

I recorded and took some pics. Getting onto my pc was simple enough, however since I have it mounted on a rayvn rail, the video is transfered upside down. Idk how to rectify it. To me it seems like a kind of software issue, like the monocular doesn't recognize to flip the video when transferring it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#38]
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:34:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hodgi_] [#39]

In the menu change the setting so it auto rotates. IIRC It’s the 3 button menu on the right hand side the very bottom option. That should do it if you haven’t done that.
View Quote

Yup I have that enabled. And the screen flips when it should while using the mono. But when I record a video and transfer it to my laptop, the video file from the sidekick is upside down while viewing it on my laptop
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Hodgi_:

Yup I have that enabled. And the screen flips when it should while using the mono. But when I record a video and transfer it to my laptop, the video file from the sidekick is upside down while viewing it on my laptop
View Quote

This happened to me as well.  When you preview it on the unit it’s the correct orientation but once you transfer it to your computer it’s upside down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

This happened to me as well.  When you preview it on the unit it’s the correct orientation but once you transfer it to your computer it’s upside down.
View Quote

It's gotta be something with the software, where the sidekick might invert the view on the screen but whenever it records it only records in a fixed position. Which is weird bc why would the fixed position be opposite how it would sit on a helmet mount
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:30:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#42]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#43]
You’ll have to use a video editor until they can get that fixed.

I thought that did the trick but I recorded all of my video with it clamped in a Pig Saddle or hand held since I was also shooting through the eyepiece at the same time.

I sent it off for someone else to T&E after I did the video so unfortunately can’t check the unit I had to confirm it’s the same. It’s most likely the same as yours. I’ll ask him to check.
View Quote

I figure it was an oversight. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed and downloaded in a software update. Idk how that stuff works tho. Very annoying as I don't have any video editing stuff on my laptop.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Am I the only one who feels like the processing lag seen in the videos is subpar?  

Maybe some of you guys that have one can confirm if it looks the same in person as it does in video?
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ReRun7:
Am I the only one who feels like the processing lag seen in the videos is subpar?  

Maybe some of you guys that have one can confirm if it looks the same in person as it does in video?
View Quote

What do u mean by processing lag? U mean like the refresh rate when panning left and right?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:49:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#47]
Massive amounts of running hogs are killed daily with 50hz units, and I know from experience that not even 30Hz causes misses/vehicle crashes. This is 60Hz, so even if your eye detects a delay initially, you'll get used to it in about 5 minutes, and will never see it again. Also, Cell Phones have their own processing delay while recording another devices screen.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Heads up for Sidekick owners. This is regarding info posted elsewhere that I want to address here.

1. Software Update for Sidekicks
I have confirmed with Armasight that they have a software update that is awaiting final testing that will resolve the latency issues. This update requires the Sidekick to be sent back to Armasight.

You will have to contact Armasight Customer Support directly. Use the contact form https://armasight.com/contact/ call 888-504-ARMA or email [email protected]

2. Rechargeable 16650 batteries

I have personally used Orbtronics 2500mAh batteries. The battery is a tight fit. What I did was unscrew the battery extender, insert battery, and then reinstall the extender over the battery.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

@chosos I think I can post this link since it's not ours and support related? Let me know if I need to remove it.

View Quote

Any idea if the update will fix the issue where a recorded video will flip upside down when importing from the sidekick to a pc?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top