Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:58:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

I wonder if the lower case 'S' screwed up the notifications?

What is on the Lens of your Pro?
View Quote

I think it was this...not positive but pretty sure.  Think I either had or ordered a lens cap, maybe it came with it.  This cover I didn't think was the right one at first....put it this way...its not going to fall off....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/990891218/sionyx-aurora-sacrificial-lens-protector

Lens cap example that may or may not come with it...

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

I think it was this...not positive but pretty sure.  Think I either had or ordered a lens cap, maybe it came with it.  This cover I didn't think was the right one at first....put it this way...its not going to fall off....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/990891218/sionyx-aurora-sacrificial-lens-protector

Lens cap example that may or may not come with it...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fae01.alicdn.com%2Fkf%2FHTB1gxM8jBDH8KJjSszcq6zDTFXaU%2F2pcs-37mm-front-Lens-Cap-Cover-protector-Center-Pinch-Snap-on-for-EM5-EM10-EPL5-E.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
View Quote

Glass lens protectors block about 1% of light, which is not helpful on an image intensifier. That's why I stopped selling them years ago after I figured that out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

Glass lens protectors block about 1% of light, which is not helpful on an image intensifier. That's why I stopped selling them years ago after I figured that out.
View Quote

Interesting....never really thought about that aspect.....

Well just another test to do when I get everything together and all sorted out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Figured I'd share some videos here.

1. Drone flight with Sionyx. Been working with this guy to get this to work and IMO it looks good. Video Credit to him.

DJI Mavic 2 Pro / SiOnyx Flight Test 2

2. Bike Ride with IR in monochrome and color mode

SiOnyx Binocular Setup Bike Ride

3. Sionyx in snow, IR devices tested

SiOnyx in Snow. How reflective is IR with Snow ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to be a member to post YT links. let me help you out there.

1. Drone flight with Sionyx. Been working with this guy to get this to work and IMO it looks good. Video Credit to him.

DJI Mavic 2 Pro / SiOnyx Flight Test 2

2. Bike Ride with IR in monochrome and color mode

SiOnyx Binocular Setup Bike Ride

3. Sionyx in snow, IR devices tested

SiOnyx in Snow. How reflective is IR with Snow ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#6]
That drone project could give a lot of capability. Imagine also swapping the lens and adding a Jerry-C. Fair weather only though, unless you find a way to re-weatherize it. Even just recording and watching once back at base, has usefulness. Pretty sure the WiFi link from the Aurora would peter out soon - but I wonder if could be somehow transmitted via the long-range drone link? I don't know jack about drones.

Very cool, nice work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone been successful in locating a 18650/21700 powered IR light that works with the Sionyx?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
Has anyone been successful in locating a 18650/21700 powered IR light that works with the Sionyx?
View Quote
Happy with my FandyFire from Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Happy with my FandyFire from Amazon.
View Quote

and Bestsun, comes with battery. Search "940nm" on amazon
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
View Quote

Any IR Light will work. At an 1100nm (+?) ceiling, even stuff that wouldn't work with Analog - will work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Any IR Light will work. At an 1100nm (+?) ceiling, even stuff that wouldn't work with Analog - will work.
View Quote

Any usa based seller for 1100nm ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ar15Niel:

Any usa based seller for 1100nm ?
View Quote

I think Z-Bolt(???) is coming out with a 1064nm. Back in the day, everyone wanted to exploit the gap between 980 and 1100 "to remain undetected while using IR" - I think that's a movie scenario, personally - especially with the ubiquity of both Auroras and Thermal these days.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#13]

I think Z-Bolt(???) is coming out with a 1064nm. Back in the day, everyone wanted to exploit the gap between 980 and 1100 "to remain undetected while using IR" - I think that's a movie scenario, personally - especially with the ubiquity of both Auroras and Thermal these days.
View Quote
what NM range does thermal receive?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
View Quote

If you can shine your laser out to aim at an enemy, then enough of you is exposed to be spotted by thermal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:35:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#15]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
View Quote

Are you being serious? If so - as you use your theoretical 1100nm illuminator to search/navigate down a slope, or in a built up area, someone with a $900 Handheld Thermal will see you from 1,000 yards away. I wasn't suggesting that Thermal can see in the NIR/SWIR spectrum. To be specific (since I didn't know) a science paper on Thermal Radiation says: "Most of the radiation emitted by human body is in the infrared region, mainly at the wavelength of 12 micron." 12 Micon's is 12,000nm.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I had been debating "upgrading" to a PVS14 and snagged a TRL VIR version 1 (no laser) for pretty cheap. the weapon mounted light that only the camera sees is pretty damn cool! thinking about spending actual money on real IR accessories.

what's everyone's favorite budget IR laser? or do I sell something and get a TRL VIR II and be done?

also is it worth going to a different camera if I'm rocking the original sport?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#17]
It's been fun guys. The disease is real.

Aurora up for grabs in the EE

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By R3L04D:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263586/74008028-66FB-48B2-8647-9CAF1F2D483E_jpe-2330409.JPG
View Quote

How's the FOV compared to the Aurora?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Torque556:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R3L04D:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263586/74008028-66FB-48B2-8647-9CAF1F2D483E_jpe-2330409.JPG

According to my quick Googling, a PVS14 is 40 degrees vs the SiOnyx is 48

However, most (some?) guys, including myself, run the SiOnyx at a 3x zoom to get more of a 1:1 'view' through the camera - 3x zoom provides more 'real' depth perception.  I assume FOV shrinks quite a bit on that zoom level.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#20]
Anyone compared the sightmark 4k mini to the sionyx? The folks at sightmark offer the 4k mini as a scope but there are also showing photos a of a variation of the 4k mini as in a dual/bino setup.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Anyone compared the sightmark 4k mini to the sionyx? The folks at sightmark offer the 4k mini as a scope but there are also showing photos a of a variation of the 4k mini as in a dual/bino setup.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114798/IMG_20220330_064526_jpg-2331433.JPG
View Quote

Curious how they make it appear those Wraith's are bridged. I didn't find one in their accessories, etc. Other than the thumbscrew clamped rifle mount, they don't even show the bottom of the device. (Duct tape and zip ties) They also give you just enough reticle choices and colors to make your eyeballs spin in your skull. Surely there must be a Sionyx vs. Sightmark side by side video on YouTube, no?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I have both pvs14 wp and sionyx. The question is the size of the viewfinder. Sionyx is smaller so its much more pleasant to look through the pvs14 lol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:38:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#23]
I've done the FOV calculations in the past: Depending on your model, 2 or 3 clicks gets you 1:1. At 1:1 the Aurora FOV is something like 34 Degrees (do a search).

Here are the pics from that info:

Full "Out" (No Zoom)

2 Clicks Zoom on a Pro, for 1:1

Distance was 50 feet to garage, wide tape marks were 5 feet, close tape marks were 1 foot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Anyone compared the sightmark 4k mini to the sionyx? The folks at sightmark offer the 4k mini as a scope but there are also showing photos a of a variation of the 4k mini as in a dual/bino setup.
View Quote

Highly doubt they've equaled or bettered the Gen 2 Black Silicon in the Pro - need to get it in NL4 conditions with no supplemental illumination to see. All the vids I just saw on the 4K Mini Scope have it using IR all the time. On one, a guy had a trail cam go off in the distance, so he turned off the Scope IR and the foreground went black. Vid was from Fox Optics IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#25]

I have both pvs14 wp and sionyx. The question is the size of the viewfinder. Sionyx is smaller so its much more pleasant to look through the pvs14 lol.
View All Quotes

What's the terminology for that, exit pupil?  Does anyone have the difference between the Aurora and PVS14 exit pupil?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#26]

What's the terminology for that, exit pupil?  Does anyone have the difference between the Aurora and PVS14 exit pupil?  
View Quote

Here's a quick comparison picture.
Note that pvs14 has demist shield on and may look bigger with it off.

https://imgur.com/a/fuw4AOe
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#27]
The Aurora screen size is deceptive in actual use though - because it's designed to be used with your eye buried in it (real freakin close to your eyeball). I don't find it *that much different* than my BNVD-SG run at *its* proper distance. And again, we're talking a ~$750 (Pro, discounted) purpose designed Camera, that is re-purposed... to a ground up designed helmet worn system for ~$3K+
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#28]
The Aurora screen size is deceptive in actual use though - because it's designed to be used with your eye buried in it (real freakin close to your eyeball). I don't find it *that much different* than my BNVD-SG run at *its* proper distance. And again, we're talking a ~$750 (Pro, discounted) purpose designed Camera, that is re-purposed... to a ground up designed helmet worn system for ~$3K+
View Quote

Dont get me wrong, I'm enjoying my bino setup with two sionyx. I firmly believe it has its purpose and its pros over analog. Despite having analog, I more often enough, much prefer to take my analog when I'm out and about in the night. If I'll be in really dark conditions then maybe I'll bring out the analog.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Played around tonight. Still image of a comparison video.

https://imgur.com/a/829ZRuK
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Played around tonight. Still image of a comparison video.

https://imgur.com/a/829ZRuK
View Quote

You have to link to the actual image file (ends in .png or .jpg or something), not the imgur page, if you want it to show up here:

Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

You have to link to the actual image file (ends in .png or .jpg or something), not the imgur page, if you want it to show up here:

https://i.imgur.com/Nsq6mHq.jeg
View Quote

Thanks I appreciate the info. I'll do that next time. Someone mentioned to me before that I have to be a member to embed..maybe that applies to video youtube links only ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Thanks I appreciate the info. I'll do that next time. Someone mentioned to me before that I have to be a member to embed..maybe that applies to video youtube links only ?
View Quote

Just use the BBCode: link from Imgur.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#33]

View All Quotes

You have to be a member to upload directly to arfcom to have the photo hosted.  Posting links elsewhere (like imgur) can be done by anyone.  I've found the arfcom photo hosting to be pretty poor, anyway, so I never use it.  

Just use the BBCode: link from Imgur.

Definitely the easiest.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#34]
So read the last few pages and I know I have options. Currently planning on getting a pair of Pros for a cheap NOD setup that I can either give to the wife or loan out once I get a proper PVS-14 set or PVS-31.

But I've seen some people run a Pro mono with a thermal mono, such as using kilhoom's Mk3 mount.

Aside from giving you another spectrum to see in, is there other benefit to this? I don't have a lot of experience with thermals and only a bit with NOD, so wondering if I should stick to duals or do this setup. Looking for some more information on this, and don't get shy on getting technical with me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

But I've seen some people run a Pro mono with a thermal mono, such as using kilhoom's Mk3 mount.
View Quote

I thought they wouldn't work as binos, that they didn't line up close enough to fool your brain into creating a single image?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:26:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15Niel] [#36]

I thought they wouldn't work as binos, that they didn't line up close enough to fool your brain into creating a single image?
View Quote

It's possible with 3d printing running Wilcox bridge. You would just print the shoe with vertical block.

Basically possible by adjusting the shoe height that attaches to the bridge.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#37]

It's possible with 3d printing running Wilcox bridge. You would just print the shoe with vertical block.

Basically possible by adjusting the shoe height that attaches to the bridge.
View Quote

I think several folks have successfully mounted them together, but my understanding is that running them bino didn't work due to the FOV or the aspect ratio, or something.  You had to run them one at a time, even if you have them both mounted.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

That's correct, and I wasn't stating that they would. If you examine the mount each side will flip up so you pick which to run.

And that's where I'm approaching my question from. You obviously lose FOV and some degree of depth perception due to being a monocular, but you also gain increased perception range since you have both a NOD and a thermal that you can rotate between.

The question then comes down to: what's the benefits and use cases for such a thing? I'm novice to thermals as a whole, other than knowing what they do, so I'm trying to see what use cases this could cover to see how I want to approach the build.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

That's correct, and I wasn't stating that they would. If you examine the mount each side will flip up so you pick which to run.

And that's where I'm approaching my question from. You obviously lose FOV and some degree of depth perception due to being a monocular, but you also gain increased perception range since you have both a NOD and a thermal that you can rotate between.

The question then comes down to: what's the benefits and use cases for such a thing? I'm novice to thermals as a whole, other than knowing what they do, so I'm trying to see what use cases this could cover to see how I want to approach the build.
View Quote

My understanding and limited experience makes me think thermal is used to find alive stuff and nv (digital or analog) is used to ID and navigate. With lower end thermal you can see something is an animal. With night vision you figure out if it’s a dog or coyote.

With real high end stuff you could probably do both
With one unit but those are as much money as my truck
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I like the idea of having thermal and NV available on your head, but I'm unsure what that would do to your natural night vision.  I know that if you only expose one eye to light, it doesn't kill the night vision in your "dark" eye nearly as much.  Switching back and forth between thermal and NV would eliminate that and require you to have 30 minutes of darkness to regain your natural night vision.  I've never used NV, so maybe this doesn't matter when you have wizard eyes?  You either rely on your NV equipment, or worry about your natural night vision, but not both?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Can be done as is, with the Wilcox Bridge and M24 FLIR Shoes. When you file the Anti-rotation pin on the Shoe for the Aurora, make it thinner than usual - this allows more "collimation" with the un-adjustable Thermal Shoe.

OR

Just get a Lion's Gear MACHOS - that is designed for both devices, and can adjust the Aurora side.

*Note 1: I only know my gear, no idea on what Gaspain can do.
*Note 2: Bug the crap out of the Panobridge guys, to make it accept Wilcox Shoes, and that would work too.

As far as "What will I see?" - depends on your parents I can see both images at the same time. Others can't and close eyes, or roll the device out of the way or train the brain to concentrate one at a time. It's still not "Fusion", as you still have no depth perception, but after some practice, it's pretty nice.

An Aurora Pro and an iRay ML19 is a pretty budget friendly option if you can't go full tilt for a PVS-14 and a Nox, MH25, or RICO Micro.... or the OG COTI or get/find a Jerry-C in country.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I noticed that the micro usb ports were a little loose/unstable on my two auroras, so I ordered these little magnetic USB cables off of Amazon. The magnetic micro USB adapter end is a tight fit, which should make it nice and stable. Bonus that if the cords get caught on something in the field there's shouldn't be a risk of damaging that little port.

Attachment Attached File

Negative of this particular product is that there is a tiny led on the cord that lights up when not plugged in to the adapter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:46:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#43]
Newb here, why should I be looking at the Pro versus the Black? Also, where’s the cheapest place to get one?

Edited to add: I’m asking about the pro vs black because I don’t see much advantage using their comparison chart on their website.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Newb here, why should I be looking at the Pro versus the Black? Also, where’s the cheapest place to get one?

Edited to add: I’m asking about the pro vs black because I don’t see much advantage using their comparison chart on their website.
View Quote

The Pro is the 2nd Gen Sensor, you can use it unaided down to NL4 (Moonless Starlight in an Open Area, as an example). The Black is 1st Gen and will start crapping out at anything less than a Half Moon in the open (NL2) - so the Pro is about ~twice as good. Your best deals will be catching B&H Photo with a sale, or qualifying for membership at places like Guidefitter, or ExpertVoice...or know someone who is already a member. But people seem to find them in the $7xx range all over, at times - you just have to be on the lookout.

Edit: On their comparison chart, look at the 'Night Vision' line - "Near Moonless Starlight" vs "Moonless Starlight".
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By IslandTimes:
I noticed that the micro usb ports were a little loose/unstable on my two auroras, so I ordered these little magnetic USB cables off of Amazon. The magnetic micro USB adapter end is a tight fit, which should make it nice and stable. Bonus that if the cords get caught on something in the field there's shouldn't be a risk of damaging that little port.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/290770/PXL_20220418_224517041_2_jpg-2353763.JPG

Negative of this particular product is that there is a tiny led on the cord that lights up when not plugged in to the adapter.
View Quote

Now that is nice.
Got a linky to those?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Now that is nice.
Got a linky to those?
View Quote

Ditto on that link
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:06:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#47]
Trying this again.
I think it is this one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:07:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IslandTimes] [#48]

Now that is nice.
Got a linky to those?
View All Quotes

Now that is nice.
Got a linky to those?

Originally Posted By RoosterX19:

Ditto on that link

Trying this again.
I think it is this one.

Sorry guys for not getting back to this sooner. Yes, that's the one I ordered.

I have the two shortest cords woven through my helmet back to the battery pouch. There's a little extra length, but easily tuckable in the pouch. If you want to set up two helmets your going to need to order two sets of the product, as all the other cords are waaaay too long to hide on a helmet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By IslandTimes:

Sorry guys for not getting back to this sooner. Yes, that's the one I ordered.

I have the two shortest cords woven through my helmet back to the battery pouch. There's a little extra length, but easily tuckable in the pouch. If you want to set up two helmets your going to need to order two sets of the product, as all the other cords are waaaay too long to hide on a helmet.
View Quote

@IslandTimes
No problem, just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right one as there appeared to be several.
Thanks for the post, I think it will make it easier to plug in without having to navigate a conventional plug into that space.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Humm didn't get the @, though I do not think you can @ on an edit and it work.

I followed the list, can't remember his name but has a couple videos in this thread.

Most of the stuff I bought was from Amazon, yeah all china , and the brands change all the time, the one he posted wasn't there so I got one similar, don't see the one I bought now as for sale....  I think once they get busted for making clones of real stuff they have to change the name or something.  Because its amazon and pops up in a search the brand name change doesn't seem to affect sales would be my guess on why this happens.

I will say this at first I was happy with the helmet I got, thought it fit okay, had to move padding and stuff but then when I started adding weight to it, no beuno...it would move like 1/2" in some directions, when you need an optic to sit in front of your eye this is not good...

I ended up getting a Team Wendy bump helmet, fits way better now that I have something to compare it to.  I also upgraded a few other things.  I haven't gotten around to playing at night but now going to use the following on a wilcox G24 mount to the helmet.  I printed a 3d dovetail plate to mount the Pro to the bridge.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476040/D94C3427-7EFB-45F7-AB00-D3803B408572-2291818.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476040/33BF1E6A-DD39-46A4-8773-5FEDD8781894-2291819.jpg
View Quote

You got a STL link for those dove tails..?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top