Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wwglen:
While it isn't LAG, I do get some LCD smear as I pan my sport across a background.
Sionyx is a great low-light camera that people adapted to use as night vision.  It works really well in situato where you don't care about being an IR emitter.
It's main advantage is it isn't going to ruin your NVG is you leave it on or look at a bright light.  
It is also good for travel and doesn't have any export restrictions for overseas.
You can use it with a standard PVS J-Arm, but it will only go over one eye (I think it was left) and will be close to a 45 degree angle do you are seeing a crooked screen.  You can still shoot and move, but it's weird.
I was a bargain at the $350 intro price.
It doesn't come close to my PVS-7.
If they could come out with a PRO, in a ruggedized PVS-14 format (or close), that could use standard night vision mounts, I would be very interested.
View Quote

Yes, my OG/Sport binos had a more pronounced screen refresh - the Pro is less, somehow - they don't say what the change was. No IR need be emitted down to NL4 for the Pro - NL5, yes, definitely. It's pretty rugged at IP67 - water, dust and recoil shock rated (except Sport for recoil). Definitely not *as* tough - but not dainty either. Even has a sacrificial lens, LOL (actual camera lens is inside). J-Arm is janky Lion's Gear, Wilcox (or Replica), or Kiloohm are the way. All the other stuff - yup, for sure, 100%
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:04:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#2]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
Somebody needs to come out with one of these. Maybe if they get more popular.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33962/12225_Aimpoint_Rubber_Cover_Black_Profil-2104612.JPG
View Quote

I tried. I gave up molding. Was very difficult. Also it made it too "fat". I'll license the design if someone wants to make it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
So is the pro worth the extra money?  I want to know if the price is worth it?  
This will be for rare use.  Going to my tree stand. Shtf. Etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:10:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IndyGrendel63] [#4]

@scoobysmak
Nice set up. Can you post a list for the rest of us?  I need to get a bump and mount for my black.

Side note, I don’t remember seeing anything on the aurora website about the pro having a better sensor, maybe I missed it.  If I would have known I would have opted for that model.  From what I saw it was just extra bits and pieces with the pro plus the gps stuff.  Oh well.
Edit. Calling scoobysmak
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
So is the pro worth the extra money?  I want to know if the price is worth it?  
This will be for rare use.  Going to my tree stand. Shtf. Etc.
View Quote

Definitely worth it. I didn't think there would be until I compared a Pro and a Black side by side. There's a substantial difference in the sensitivity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wwglen] [#6]
For me, I decided to get a used Gen3 PVS-7 for a little bit more than the Pro and the cost of the adaptors needed to get the Pro to fit my helmet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeJeeps] [#7]
A couple questions:

1) Are we still on firmware version 1.32?
2) If I don't use my cameras for awhile they seem to lose charge over time even though they are connected to an external battery pack that still has juice. What's the trick to making these things draw from the battery pack as needed?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JoeJeeps:

2) If I don't use my cameras for awhile they seem to lose charge over time even though they are connected to an external battery pack that still has juice. What's the trick to making these things draw from the battery pack as needed?
View Quote

Does the battery pack support trickle charging?  Are you sure you have that mode turned on?  Most battery packs are designed to stop putting out juice once a connected device is fully charged.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Does the battery pack support trickle charging?  Are you sure you have that mode turned on?  Most battery packs are designed to stop putting out juice once a connected device is fully charged.
View Quote

No idea. I just bought what was suggested in this thread and hooked it up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TimJ:
Anker power cell trickle charge mode

Link to info
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Juicespeare1] [#12]
Has anyone recently done a budget helmet build (monocular) with one of the Sport models?

I already have the Sport and have had it for more than a year now, but am finally interested in a budget helmet and mount which would allow me to use the Sport with either left or right eye.

Just wondering which components would be best for a budget build.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Juicespeare1:
Has anyone recently done a budget helmet build (monocular) with one of the Sport models?

I already have the Sport and have had it for more than a year now, but am finally interested in a budget helmet and mount which would allow me to use the Sport with either left or right eye.

Just wondering which components would be best for a budget build.

View Quote

Most budget way would be a SOTAC L4G24 and one of the Kiloohm mounts.

Other options for a mount are a RHINO II off eBay and a Dovetail Conversion Plate from TNVC/Own The Night.

Other Bridges are the Lion's Gear or the SOTAC Wilcox Replica (for this one, you also need the M24 FLIR Shoe from Own the Night).

Helmets are endless. The PTS MTEK FLUX is nice, but any FMA/TMC replica will work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Which way would you go if you had to do it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

Most budget way would be a SOTAC L4G24 and one of the Kiloohm mounts.

Other options for a mount are a RHINO II off eBay and a Dovetail Conversion Plate from TNVC/Own The Night.

Other Bridges are the Lion's Gear or the SOTAC Wilcox Replica (for this one, you also need the M24 FLIR Shoe from Own the Night).

Helmets are endless. The PTS MTEK FLUX is nice, but any FMA/TMC replica will work.
View Quote

Which way would you do it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I went SOTAC / HM  L4G24, SOTAC Wilcox Replica Bridge, and M24 FLIR Shoes. Articulation is nice to have. The Lion's Gear also articulates, and you don't need the FLIR Shoes for it, but I never used his newer MACHOS, as I already had the Wilcox bridge. These are not the "Budget" options though. I have an HHV Ballistic, and two PTS MTEK's.

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I have both: the modified Rhino 2 on my ballistic helmet and the fake SOTAC on my bump helmet. The Rhino 2 setup is more expensive but tougher than the less expensive China copy of the Wilcox.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Good deal.

Thanks guys.

I purchased the following early this morning:

SC L4G24 from Amazon, hope it's as good as the Sotac
Kiloohm MK2B mount in case I decide to get another Sionyx
PTS MTEK FLUX helmet

Do I need anything else?
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Good deal.

Thanks guys.

I purchased the following early this morning:

SC L4G24 from Amazon, hope it's as good as the Sotac
Kiloohm MK2B mount in case I decide to get another Sionyx
PTS MTEK FLUX helmet

Do I need anything else?
View Quote

Well, unless you only need about 2hrs run-time, an Anker 10K Battery  with Trickle mode (heard they don't make the 13 or 15 anymore?), a 2ft USB cable with 90 degree plug (SUNGUYS on Amazon IIRC) and a Counterweight Pouch. Use the search feature or Goggle site search to find all the relevant info.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 1:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Juicespeare1] [#20]
Here's what I've ordered in case anyone else needs links or coupon/discount codes valid right now.

One 15% coupon code for the helmet below.
$10 off for SC L4G24 mount right now for Prime members.

Again, thanks for all the help guys.

1.)  SC Mount ($10 off right now with Amazon coupon for Prime members)
2.)  Kiloohm MK2B mount in case I decide to get another Sionyx and one IRdark eyecup
3.)  PTS MTEK FLUX helmet with a coupon 15% code of:  LITEROCOLA
4.)  2ft Micro USB Cables
5.)  Helmet Battery Pouch Counterweight Pouch
6.)  2 x Anker PowerCore Slim 10000mAh Battery Pack Very good price right now.

BTW, I forgot to mention I already have several IR flashlights, a couple of cheap ones and a couple of more pricey ones.

I also made an IR laser pointer/flashlight which was posted back on page 28.  @gaspain or @mickdonaldson you posted a few images and video I sent you.  I forgot who posted them for me, sorry about that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:59:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#21]
If you've been waiting, now's the time: Sionyx flash sale. Pro $799, no membership anywhere needed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
If you've been waiting, now's the time: Sionyx flash sale. Pro $799, no membership anywhere needed.
View Quote

I've got the regular Aurora but this has me tempted. I see it also comes with their "illumination kit".

I have recently gotten access to property for night shooting so I can finally put my Aurora to the test. I need to decide if I want to go Pro or save the money for another NV/thermal setup.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

I've got the regular Aurora but this has me tempted. I see it also comes with their "illumination kit".

I have recently gotten access to property for night shooting so I can finally put my Aurora to the test. I need to decide if I want to go Pro or save the money for another NV/thermal setup.
View Quote

Without help from an Illuminator, your original is good to about Half Moon (or like) levels of ambient light/skyglow (NL2, *maybe* upper NL3). The Pro is good to NL4, which is ~Moonless Starlight in the open. If that helps your decision.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure if it's a good price or not, but Eurooptic.com has the pro on sale for $799.  EuroOptic is otherwise good to go.

EuroOptic Link
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sabre331] [#25]
Fwiw, I mounted a primary arms SLx 1x micro prism in front of the Aurora on my x95 along with an inforce 700 lumen w/ir light, the SLx works perfectly with it
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sabre331:
Fwiw, I mounted a primary arms SLx 1x micro prism in front of the Aurora on my x95 along with an inforce 700 lumen w/ir light, the SLx works perfectly with it
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31920/6AD24B99-FDB0-4DDD-9630-D1E065DFFB86_jpe-2119910.JPG
View Quote

Sweet! Nice job.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone tried the Aurora (Pro or otherwise) through a T2?

I can't see the dot through mine unless I turn the setting up to where I can see it with my eyes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#28]
Had to share

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By blwngazkit:

I can't see the dot through mine unless I turn the setting up to where I can see it with my eyes.
View Quote

turn it up to whatever, it won't damage the Sionyx if that is your concern. Not like analogs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Are you in 'Night Mode'? (Scene Ring, right behind Focus Ring). That would be very odd - I have stuff with NV settings that are still too bright with Auroras.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Are you in 'Night Mode'? (Scene Ring, right behind Focus Ring). That would be very odd - I have stuff with NV settings that are still too bright with Auroras.
View Quote

I am in Night Mode.  It's not really a problem, I just figured it was a quirk of Digital vs Gen3 stuff.

Maybe it's a problem with my Aimpoint T2?  I can't really see the dot inside unless I'm on setting 8 and even that's pretty dim.  This is a fresh battery.

I also have a PA Advanced Red Dot from a few years ago (Gen 1), and even on that one I can't see the dot through the Aurora unless I can also see it with my eyes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sabre331:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31920/6AD24B99-FDB0-4DDD-9630-D1E065DFFB86_jpe-2119910.JPG

View Quote
Great. Now I need an orange gun
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#33]

I am in Night Mode.  It's not really a problem, I just figured it was a quirk of Digital vs Gen3 stuff.

Maybe it's a problem with my Aimpoint T2?  I can't really see the dot inside unless I'm on setting 8 and even that's pretty dim.  This is a fresh battery.

I also have a PA Advanced Red Dot from a few years ago (Gen 1), and even on that one I can't see the dot through the Aurora unless I can also see it with my eyes.
View Quote

What Aurora do you have? I have Pro's, and just grabbed a brand new PA SLx 1x Compact that I haven't mounted yet. The Reticle is invisible to the naked eye in the dark, but visible on NV1 through the Pro. So If you have a Classic/Black/Sport - that may be it? If it's a Pro, you have me stumped.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
The dot on my Holosun 508T is very faint. Usable, but not very bright.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]

What Aurora do you have? I have Pro's, and just grabbed a brand new PA SLx 1x Compact that I haven't mounted yet. The Reticle is invisible to the naked eye in the dark, but visible on NV1 through the Pro. So If you have a Classic/Black/Sport - that may be it? If it's a Pro, you have me stumped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The Pro.

I'm pretty sure I still have a Vortex Spark Gen 2 in a box somewhere.  I'll dig that out and try that one as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#36]

The Pro.

I'm pretty sure I still have a Vortex Spark Gen 2 in a box somewhere.  I'll dig that out and try that one as well.
View Quote

I was on Video at 360p/30, Gray Scale, HDR ON if that matters. Probably Gain at 0.0, but I don't remember. Doesn't really matter though - if you need viz 1 or 2, it still won't be seen from downrange. It is weird though. I'll look through my BNVD-SGs too - to see the diff.

Edit: Just checked out my Type II RMR w/6 MOA Dot. It has one NV setting. I can see it with the Pro, but like the Holosun 508T mentioned above, it is dim - I'd go up to Viz 1 to use it (and have, just didn't remember the exact setting) Then I threw on my BNVD-SGs w/Elbit SLH Tubes - it was usable on NV 1. So (expectedly) the Pro isn't as sensitive as Gen 3 Analog (duh ). Since all mfgs key the settings to Analog, but there's no standard (I assume), it'll be hit or miss on how bright any optics NV settings are, on the Aurora. Just use Viz 1 - no one can detect it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#37]
VF1 Systems has Aurora wraps from Nocorium - pretty damn cool, and easy to apply. Didn't even need to remove the M24 FLIR Shoe. Pro in Desert Night Camo with an MH25 Dual Band:

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]
VF1 Systems has Aurora wraps from Nocorium - pretty damn cool, and easy to apply. Didn't even need to remove the M24 FLIR Shoe. Pro in Desert Night Camo with an MH25 Dual Band:

https://i.imgur.com/pYidRHL.jpg
View Quote

nice.

VF1 is good to go
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:42:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15city] [#39]

https://i.imgur.com/pYidRHL.jpg
View Quote

Are you sure those nice wraps don't void the Sionyx warranty like spray painting?

Been thinking about a Pro but the rapper gold finish wasn't too attractive, spray painting it might void the warranty, maybe you've solved that problem if the wraps come off like gaffers tape.

Any word for a new improved model better than the Pro, or hope for Balck Friday sales to bring the Pro price down? That $800-ish price for the Pro is still a sticker shock from the original $350-ish price!

Many might still be debating, if it better to invest that $800+ into the lowest price pvs14 or go Sionyx Pro until tech improves and prices come down or wait for a new improved model perhaps in the works and soon to be released.

ETA

@NITEWALKER If the KVC bridge is getting loose   https://youtu.be/aiJgIdbXh9A?t=379    surprisingly only after a year's use in the civilian arena.

Have you also tested the "airsoft" Sotac gear SM-2 bridge that some have recommended, to see how that compares, are we talking days, weeks or months? The Sotac has some weight to it compared to the featherweight KVC that has a top tier reputation compared to a largely airsoft supplier.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ar15city:

Are you sure those nice wraps don't void the Sionyx warranty like spray painting?

Been thinking about a Pro but the rapper gold finish wasn't too attractive, spray painting it might void the warranty, maybe you've solved that problem if the wraps come off like gaffers tape.

Any word for a new improved model better than the Pro, or hope for Balck Friday sales to bring the Pro price down? That $800-ish price for the Pro is still a sticker shock from the original $350-ish price!

Many might still be debating, if it better to invest that $800+ into the lowest price pvs14 or go Sionyx Pro until tech improves and prices come down or wait for a new improved model perhaps in the works and soon to be released.
View Quote

Sport was $350 not the Pro, Pro introduced at $1000
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#41]
The Pro color is muted, it's more like the gold/desert tan you see on a SCAR
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I just wish they'd add an adjustable aiming reticle in a firmware update...

Last I asked (over a year ago) the rep said they were "working on it" but who knows...
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone with a BIG head try out the MTEK Flux offering? Other options?  I've read a lot of the Amazon/ebay helmets run small
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#44]
IIRC this was the program Sionyx was involved with.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42739/army-halts-widely-hyped-multi-billion-dollar-advanced-augmented-reality-goggle-program

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:19:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#45]

ETA

@NITEWALKER If the KVC bridge is getting loose   https://youtu.be/aiJgIdbXh9A?t=379    surprisingly only after a year's use in the civilian arena.

Have you also tested the "airsoft" Sotac gear SM-2 bridge that some have recommended, to see how that compares, are we talking days, weeks or months? The Sotac has some weight to it compared to the featherweight KVC that has a top tier reputation compared to a largely airsoft supplier.
View Quote

Void the warranty? It's a sticker - they come off.

The "Gold" is close to the same color as Wilcox "FDE" stuff (or yea, the SCAR, mentioned above).

The Pro was Pre-Order at $799, it was never $350.

Nobody but Sionyx employees know if a more sensitive sensor is coming. The Pro gets you NL4 performance for $800 - only you can decide if that fills your need, or if you should wait and save for a PVS-14.

The SOTAC SM-2 has been in use for me, for ~2 years, yes, it's rock solid. It's even adjustable for the arm tension, worst case. Aluminum is not hi-tech, it's been around for 100+ years, and most of it, is in China.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By killahalee:
IIRC this was the program Sionyx was involved with.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42739/army-halts-widely-hyped-multi-billion-dollar-advanced-augmented-reality-goggle-program

View Quote
That article is about Microsoft. Or was SiOnyx involved somehow?

I recall them being awarded some .mil contracts in the past, hope they still get them. I can see those funds really helping R&D for better products.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#47]
agree. I cant wait to see where digital goes.

if i remember correctly this is the program that Sionyx is involved with.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:28:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killahalee] [#48]
It is the project that was just canceled.

https://www.army-technology.com/news/sionyx-digital-night-vision-cameras/

SiOnyx to deliver digital night vision cameras for US Army

22 Jan 2019
The US Army has selected SiOnyx digital night vision cameras for its Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS) project.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#49]
A Pro showed up today, along with a couple other small related goodies. 48% moon illumination tonight, but near-total cloud cover. This'll be fun to test in the back yard.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By killahalee:
It is the project that was just canceled.

https://www.army-technology.com/news/sionyx-digital-night-vision-cameras/

SiOnyx to deliver digital night vision cameras for US Army

22 Jan 2019
The US Army has selected SiOnyx digital night vision cameras for its Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS) project.
View Quote

It appears so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top