Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:36:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#1]
Here's the full pic so you can read. 'NVG' on the unit, and showing it helmet mounted, are good signs. For sure, we need to see comparo pics at 1%-49% Moon or equivalent. And that color needs NO painting! It looks beautiful. That DoD contract is paying off! LOL!

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Balls. I just got a sport for christmas
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Have they announced MSRP on the Pro yet?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maverick52] [#4]
Originally Posted By MainePure:
Have they announced MSRP on the Pro yet?
View Quote
Found this on their FB.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Seems like its up on their website also, which happened pretty recently as I already looked once this morning.

https://www.sionyx.com/which-sionyx-camera-is-right-for-you/

Looks like it is the same as the normal aurora but with a pic mount, SD card, hardshell case, and extra battery.

It does say "moonless starlight" for the pro instead of "near moonless starlight" for the regular & sport. None of their listed specs point to why that would be, so maybe there will be more info.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm happy to fund them as they improve. It's the price of being an early adopter of the tech. Shit how many of us spent $1k plus for an iphone that's like 10 generations old and won't do shit compared to what we have now?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Wider fov
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Very exciting. Cant wait to see what it can do. I would definitely sell off my Sport(which I love)to fund a Pro.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Have they ever released a firmware update?
if so it an easy update?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
Have they ever released a firmware update?
if so it an easy update?
View Quote
I'm in chat w them right now about the augmented reality firmware, they said it is not available yet and they did not have a release date.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#10]
Here's the part I'm interested in:

I never found FOV to be a problem, but I know others have.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Styer] [#11]
Delete
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
May be selling my Sports to get a set of Pros if there is a significant difference in low light performance.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]
This is exciting. I'll wait until Black Friday 2020 to consider getting a set. But look forward to seeing what these gen 2 can do. Very exciting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gr8Santini] [#14]
I wonder how long it will be before these new models start shipping.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m interested to see how much better low light performance they get from the new model.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
here is the vid..

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mah827:
I’m interested to see how much better low light performance they get from the new model.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mah827:
View Quote
Yup I cannot wait!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
This is exciting. I'll wait until Black Friday 2020 to consider getting a set. But look forward to seeing what these gen 2 can do. Very exciting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got my helmet / dual auroras, anker battery, cables, etc set up today.  Only had a chance to try it in a dark room w the fandyfire.   Was awesome to this NV noob
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I added another chip to the board now at 1.4 amps. Looks pretty good. I can see a very very faint projection in analog. if your not looking for it you will think its a shadow.

Ill get some funds together and make a second one then get this one out to guys to play with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:23:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#22]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Looks like Farrow Tech is now offering a mount adapter for the Aurora. Nice to see more options.

https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-pvs14-helmet-mount-adapter/
View Quote
That's one way to do it.  I'm planning on 3D printing a new arm and bolting it in place of the PVS-14 arm.  Will put the files up on all the usual repositories when I get to it.

Of course this assumes someone doesn't beat me to the punch first....
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
here is the vid..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2ADX2t70k
View Quote
cool
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#24]
here is the vid..

View Quote
Nice work, slowly but surely...
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
here is the vid..

Anyone know if these will have the capability to be weapon mounted?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sarge1119:

View Quote
According to that comparison chart ^ Yes. Tested to 4,000rds with 5.56 and comes with Rail Mount.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#27]
According to that comparison chart ^ Yes. Tested to 4,000rds with 5.56 and comes with Rail Mount.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sarge1119:

Crap. It’s early, and I haven’t had coffee yet. I see it now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Pre-Ordered Two, LOL! Screaming deal on a Bino setup of OG/Sport coming to you soon

I wonder how long the wait will be...
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Are the GPS units on these active or passive? Can it be disabled? I don’t care for the whole world  knowing where it can steal my stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Luckystrike:
Are the GPS units on these active or passive? Can it be disabled? I don’t care for the whole world  knowing where it can steal my stuff.
View Quote
GPS is a passive system, tracking requires either a Satellite, GSM, or CDMA outbound communication to a server - The Aurora doesn't have that. Now, it does have WiFi (that you can turn off), and the new Augmented Reality feature has some sort of "Plot Your Friends" function - but that is something you would have to set up, and I haven't even seen how it works yet. Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't understand why someone would spend $799 for the pro version instead of just shopping the EE for a used Gen3 PVS14 for an extra 700 or less depending.

Shit I picked up a Gen 3 tube in a pitbull housing a few years back for like $1200 if memory serves.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By night9:
I don't understand why someone would spend $799 for the pro version instead of just shopping the EE for a used Gen3 PVS14 for an extra 700 or less depending.

Shit I picked up a Gen 3 tube in a pitbull housing a few years back for like $1200 if memory serves.
View Quote
3 BIG reasons right  up front:
- By your own admission, it's 50% of the cost of a USED item to buy a new device with a warranty.
- COLOR night vision
- Non-ITAR <- This is a big one for some people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
"An extra $700" is a lot for some people. What quality did you get? Green gives me a headache, and any black dots or "Blems" would drive me nuts. I personally have been looking at 16:9 aspect ratio screens for 20 years, circles aren't my preference. Add to that, I hate Monoculars and prefer Binos - what's the cheapest, Blem Free, White Phospor, Gen3 Bino going for? Lot more than $1600 I think. Plus, Aurora Gen 2 performance will be better (how much is the question) and I'm pretty pleased with the current generation, for what I paid, for my usage scenarios. And finally, tech guys love getting in on the ground floor and testing stuff out and watching it mature - Auroras are the Guinea Pig Test Bed for Sionyx's DoD Digital Night Vision contracts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#34]
"An extra $700" is a lot for some people. What quality did you get? Green gives me a headache, and any black dots or "Blems" would drive me nuts. I personally have been looking at 16:9 aspect ratio screens for 20 years, circles aren't my preference. Add to that, I hate Monoculars and prefer Binos - what's the cheapest, Blem Free, White Phospor, Gen3 Bino going for? Lot more than $1600 I think. Plus, Aurora Gen 2 performance will be better (how much is the question) and I'm pretty pleased with the current generation, for what I paid, for my usage scenarios. And finally, tech guys love getting in on the ground floor and testing stuff out and watching it mature - Auroras are the Guinea Pig Test Bed for Sionyx's DoD Digital Night Vision contracts.
View All Quotes

Great points.  I JUST got by dual sports setup yesterday.  Anxious to see what advances are made with the PRO
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:26:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#35]

View Quote
If you want PVS14 night vision quality you will never be happy with an Aurora.  If you care about everything else then the Aurora is better in every respect while being decent at night vision for the price point.  As generations grow it will get better and better at night vision.

My guess is within the next few years we will see the death of the PVS14 mechanical type technology and it be replaced by digital capability.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
It’s unfortunate they didn’t change the shape of the housing to better accommodate mounting as Bino’s on a helmet.

The large protrusion on the right, left when to mount it upside down digs into my nose.

Regardless I’m interested in the improvements and willing to buy another set it the moonless ability is significant.

This could put a crimp in my plans to goto gen 3
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:

Great points.  I JUST got by dual sports setup yesterday.  Anxious to see what advances are made with the PRO
View Quote
My order said "Shipping End of April", so it will be a while, unless they put samples in shills... I mean influencers hands.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

The large protrusion on the right, left when to mount it upside down digs into my nose.
View Quote
No way to compensate with the mount at all? A smidge out/up/tilted? I hear ya - sometimes physical features don't cooperate!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Unless they have better FOV or eye relief then the higher cost isnt worth it ... just get a good supplemental IR instead and keep your Aurora Sport ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By St1650:
Unless they have better FOV or eye relief then the higher cost isnt worth it ... just get a good supplemental IR instead and keep your Aurora Sport ...
View Quote
The release info says they've increased the FOV; to what we don't know.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By St1650:
View Quote
I’m not sure I agree. I’m not totally against your point of view either. I want to see it actually perform. If it’s really 2x better? .......I dunno, depending on your intended application it might be worth it.

I had Photonis echo 14’s, L3 WP 14’s, but I don’t hunt or do anything so it was stupid to have that much money sitting in the safe. But I do want at least a somewhat legit night solution for SHTF.

Again at 2x the capability of the sport.....I might bite. 50% moon or above I really liked the sport. The color just gets me every time. And I find it does help see things better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dace:

If you want PVS14 night vision quality you will never be happy with an Aurora.  If you care about everything else then the Aurora is better in every respect while being decent at night vision for the price point.  As generations grow it will get better and better at night vision.

My guess is within the next few years we will see the death of the PVS14 mechanical type technology and it be replaced by digital capability.  
View Quote
I agree. I sold all of my analog stuff. I was about to buy another 14 for SHTF but if I like the better performance out of this new offering.... forget it, I’m buying one. Probably two.

I wasn’t trying to be a jerk to tnvc in the other thread but they are just wrong with their assessment that digital is still more than a decade away. I think it’ll be much, much sooner. And cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a tnvpvs14. I have used and can afford dual gen III.

I want to dual mount two pros and run these mother fuckers and see how much they are lacking compared to the $8k+ model dual setups.

Lions gear is/has made a dual setup that makes them articulate and fold.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maverick52] [#44]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

I’m not sure I agree. I’m not totally against your point of view either. I want to see it actually perform. If it’s really 2x better? .......I dunno, depending on your intended application it might be worth it.

I had Photonis echo 14’s, L3 WP 14’s, but I don’t hunt or do anything so it was stupid to have that much money sitting in the safe. But I do want at least a somewhat legit night solution for SHTF.

Again at 2x the capability of the sport.....I might bite. 50% moon or above I really liked the sport. The color just gets me every time. And I find it does help see things better.
View Quote
Exactly.

If the "moonless starlight" capability is accurate then it makes sense for me to buy the pro over a sport.

WI hunting regulations only allow light (including IR) at the point of kill, which means you're supposed to spot an animal (coyote, fox, racoon) before you shine a light. As amazing as the original Aurora and Sport are, they're still going to be limited to use with IR unless there is a decent amount of ambient light from the moon/snow so that automatically limits when I can hunt to ideal conditions. If the pro can make a noticeable improvement in less than ideal conditions it will be worthwhile, and still be cheaper than analog NV.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I agree. I sold all of my analog stuff. I was about to buy another 14 for SHTF but if I like the better performance out of this new offering.... forget it, I’m buying one. Probably two.

I wasn’t trying to be a jerk to tnvc in the other thread but they are just wrong with their assessment that digital is still more than a decade away. I think it’ll be much, much sooner. And cheaper.
View All Quotes

Maybe if you are talking night fighters who enter dark rooms in scary parts of the world.  TNVC also has a lot invested in analog doing well.

But for the everyday person who needs it for outdoor use, hunting, self defense and SHTF digital capability is going to take off.  It was and is only a matter of time.  The question is once a major government gets involved it will take off even faster.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Maybe if you are talking night fighters who enter dark rooms in scary parts of the world.  TNVC also has a lot invested in analog doing well.

But for the everyday person who needs it for outdoor use, hunting, self defense and SHTF digital capability is going to take off.  It was and is only a matter of time.  The question is once a major government gets involved it will take off even faster.
View Quote
You mean like Sionyx's appraent DoD contract for ultra-low light image image sensors?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#47]
That may drop the price on the previous models..wonder how much better it is and what's the price gonna be?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Maverick52:

Found this on their FB.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/280940/Screenshot_2020-01-21-11-43-07_png-1243476.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/280940/Screenshot_2020-01-21-11-41-37_png-1243475.JPG

Seems like its up on their website also, which happened pretty recently as I already looked once this morning.

https://www.sionyx.com/which-sionyx-camera-is-right-for-you/

Looks like it is the same as the normal aurora but with a pic mount, SD card, hardshell case, and extra battery.

It does say "moonless starlight" for the pro instead of "near moonless starlight" for the regular & sport. None of their listed specs point to why that would be, so maybe there will be more info.
View Quote
PRO looks a little bigger but it could be angles...
Ok which one of you guys are gonna go buy and give us the details?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

View Quote
All I can tell you is that they are Pre-Order at $799 ea. and I bought two. They say they will ship end of April.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#50]
All I can tell you is that they are Pre-Order at $799 ea. and I bought two. They say they will ship end of April.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

Look forward to a review in May.
I won't be getting two though

Hope someone continues to updated the list of helmet,mounts,lights,etc and settings
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Top Top