Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
@JoeMal

I heard back on the firmware:

https://i.imgur.com/RIUlhvz.jpg

Normally I'd call BS on a response like this, but in this case, I think it's legit. They're the only ones commercially offering this capability to average consumers, and posting the exact firmware settings changed, could give up the ghost, so to speak.

I'm ordering my Sport today, my customer paid me, woot! Dual setup in a few weeks...
View Quote
I didn't see the original question. What is the going on with the firmware? What are you trying to accomplish?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:25:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#2]
Originally Posted By mancow:

I didn't see the original question. What is the going on with the firmware? What are you trying to accomplish?
View Quote
Trying to get release notes. Fairly common to have release notes when new versions of software come out

Glad to see all the new Aurora users!
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 223Rem:

Back to technical aspect of this thread......Since the Sport version is lacking some of the non essential features as compared to the original model, do you think there will be a performance boost since the processor does not have to deal with the ancillary programming?

Will battery life be augmented as well since the power requirements are semi diminished?
View Quote
The GPS could be turned off, so I don't think that will matter. Can't imagine the compass affected much either. For all we know, both are still on the chip, just deactivated, LOL (Pretty common with CPUs and Graphics Cards).
The only real performance lost to analog, is zero to quarter/half moon illum without help - and that's all sensor related.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
So what's the story on running these as binoculars? Is it working for people? I saw the earlier comments on the IPD limitation (64mm, right?).
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By erwos:
So what's the story on running these as binoculars? Is it working for people? I saw the earlier comments on the IPD limitation (64mm, right?).
View Quote
To my knowledge, nobody is. At least not anybody here. Mick has talked about getting another to have duals.  Unsure if he has. Hell probably chime in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
I'll be doing it, just ordered the MACHOS about 30 seconds ago. My PID is about 63 (SWAG with Calipers in the mirror), but Lucien said he has guys as low as 59 using it without a problem. I'll obviously report back, lol.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be doing it, just ordered the MACHOS about 30 seconds ago. My PID is about 63 (SWAG with Calipers in the mirror), but Lucien said he has guys as low as 59 using it without a problem. I'll obviously report back, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
This is a long thread so I might be miss remembering but didn’t someone here calculate that the minimum PD to have these usable as binos was 59? My PD is 56 so I was thinking it was a no go for me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 7:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1776blackrifle] [#8]

Yes, I could definitely run another 10K Powercore II right next to the first one. Maybe two 13K or 15K, but I'd have to measure. @JoeMal and I both originally tried it out with giant 20K's secured by the bungee cords, LOL - that works too You could even get one of the ruggedized ones that include a solar panel, and run it without access to electricity!
View Quote
As "ruggedized" banks go, at EasyAcc, Zendure A Series and others.

https://www.colourmylearning.com/2015/09/top-10-best-rugged-external-battery-chargers-powerbanks-that-take-everything-life-throws-at-it/

If you get a chance and can share the info, which ruggedized battery and solar combo did you finally go with?

Since you have experience operating the battery with the Sionyx, your recommendation outshines any usual reviewers on amazon and other places.

Some "rugged" packs may also not maintain their rating when they are hooked up, which defeats the purpose.

Have a PowerCore+ 26800 PD but at 3.1 x7.1x 0.9 it's not really the first choice for helmet mounting. It's not rugged rated, but can easily fit in the unused radio pocket of a plate carrier pretty easy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 1776blackrifle:

If you get a chance and can share the info, which ruggedized battery and solar combo did you finally go with?

Since you have experience operating the battery with the Sionyx, your recommendation outshines any usual reviewers on amazon and other places.
View Quote
Don't own anything but Anker, sometimes I just give ideas on stuff I come across in my virtual travels.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:46:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#10]
Camera's ordered, as is all the other needed "Dual" gear - just need Duracoat now, but that can wait since the Sport is about a month out.

Some 'Nerdery' while on Sionyx's site, and then a good Lux chart:

XQE-1310

Lux Chart
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Camera's ordered, as is all the other needed "Dual" gear - just need Duracoat now, but that can wait since the Sport is about a month out.

Some 'Nerdery' while on Sionyx's site, and then a good Lux chart:

XQE-1310

Lux Chart
View Quote
@mickdonaldson so what does this all mean?
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@mickdonaldson so what does this all mean?
View Quote
Just tech info - I'm into numbers. Figured knowing what was inside the shell would be cool
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Figured I would ask here as my thread isn’t getting any traction.

How do these work behind a quality glass?

I use a pvs14 and ir for most of my work, but have been wanting to get into a clip on. I figured if these could play well with magnification, they might be a good fit for me while I’m waiting.

Any experience?
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The eye relief is lacking so I'm not sure I would want my eye behind one when the hammer falls.

The Aurora has its own magnification in case you didn't know.

It certainly could be done though. I think someone here posted they mocked theirs up behind a red dot and it appeared it would work fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
Figured I would ask here as my thread isn’t getting any traction.

How do these work behind a quality glass?

I use a pvs14 and ir for most of my work, but have been wanting to get into a clip on. I figured if these could play well with magnification, they might be a good fit for me while I’m waiting.

Any experience?
View Quote
I have an unmounted Swampfox 1-4 LPVO. I turned the Aurora on, focused on a shed about 50yds away at 1:1 on the camera (3 clicks on the D Pad) and stuck the scope Objective lens to the camera's EVF. at 1x it worked. At 4x it was blurry for some reason. I tried different focus settings on the camera and it didn't help. No idea why, but I have zero experience with this method. I didn't try adjusting the scope ocular adjustment - as I only thought that was for a sharp reticle. I was also holding both with my hands, so it was a major feat to line everything up, LOL. Like Joe said, it *does* work camera first, but any recoil will probably hurt, and I also think there is Parallax induced that way? If the only reason to buy one is this - I'd say it doesn't work for magnified optics, but again, I've never done it before. Maybe the #sionyxaurora on Instagram will have some info? I know I see pics of Rail Mounts on there sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#16]

I have an unmounted Swampfox 1-4 LPVO. I turned the Aurora on, focused on a shed about 50yds away at 1:1 on the camera (3 clicks on the D Pad) and stuck the scope Objective lens to the camera's EVF. at 1x it worked. At 4x it was blurry for some reason. I tried different focus settings on the camera and it didn't help. No idea why, but I have zero experience with this method. I didn't try adjusting the scope ocular adjustment - as I only thought that was for a sharp reticle. I was also holding both with my hands, so it was a major feat to line everything up, LOL. Like Joe said, it *does* work camera first, but any recoil will probably hurt, and I also think there is Parallax induced that way? If the only reason to buy one is this - I'd say it doesn't work for magnified optics, but again, I've never done it before. Maybe the #sionyxaurora on Instagram will have some info? I know I see pics of Rail Mounts on there sometimes.
View Quote
Appreciate it man. Thanks for the info.

Looks like i will probably need to look elseware.

I will do some research on using it as a stand alone. I do have a 3x mag for my pvs, and that works ok enough for longer shots using ir, but it’s a pretty big dot at that point.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Several pages back I posted my experiences mounting with different optics and also included pictures.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Did the Sport pre-order.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah almost 2 weeks ago! Hoping for early shipping!
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bigspice:
Did the Sport pre-order.  Anyone else?
View Quote
I pre-ordered this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Still on sale. I finally fo'd.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Sport is on order.  I have read through the entire thread and need help picking a mount setup.  I will probably run on the left side.  Will be used for navigating and spotting while night hunting.  Top flip or side flip - no clue, open to suggestions.  
Assuming a used RHNO II from ebay, unless there is a better option in the same price range, it looks like I have 3 options:

1.  Chaim mount:  Downside is someone posted you cannot run an external battery if using on the left side.  
2.  Lions Gear Hyperion:  looks pretty good and my PD will work.  
3.  Farrowtech PVS14 adapter:  https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-pvs14-helmet-mount-adapter/
looks pretty straightforward and the price is good.  Anyone use this?  Is it canted?  What piece do you recommend to then connect it to the RHNO?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 2:42:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#23]
Sport is on order.  I have read through the entire thread and need help picking a mount setup.  I will probably run on the left side.  Will be used for navigating and spotting while night hunting.  Top flip or side flip - no clue, open to suggestions.  
Assuming a used RHNO II from ebay, unless there is a better option in the same price range, it looks like I have 3 options:

1.  Chaim mount:  Downside is someone posted you cannot run an external battery if using on the left side.  
2.  Lions Gear Hyperion:  looks pretty good and my PD will work.  
3.  Farrowtech PVS14 adapter:  https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-pvs14-helmet-mount-adapter/
looks pretty straightforward and the price is good.  Anyone use this?  Is it canted?  What piece do you recommend to then connect it to the RHNO?

Thanks!
View Quote
Yes, RHINO II or better for good price on Ebay is most economical route.

You can use the Chaim Mount for the left eye - that's how I have mine now. You need to use this USB cable (or one like it) 90 Degree Any Way USB and file/grind that black "nub" all the way to the blue ring. It will then not interfere when sliding the camera all the way toward your nose.

I think that Farrowtech is just that plate for $32, you need the J-Arm and I have no idea what it looks like when clipped in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#24]
What are people using for a weapons mount?
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Can someone send me contact info for the Chaim mount?
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Can someone send me contact info for the Chaim mount?
View Quote
IMed
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#27]
My setup, just waiting on the 2 Sports to be delivered. My PD is 62 so should work as a bino setup. It was extremely affordable.

- FMA EXF helmet with universal shroud.
- Used Ebay Nototos TATM with universal plate conversion. Also got a spare Rhino II.
- Lion's Gear Solutions MACHO with their dovetail. Fits extremely tight with the TATM.
- Fandyfire 940 IR 1" torch with a QD pic mount for the helmet.

I first plan to play with my G19X with DPP but I'm considering a Perst 3/4 for the AR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys, please chime in when you get a shipping notice.  We're looking at 4 weeks right?  Should be 1.5 weeks or so for us that ordered on the day it dropped.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad to see all the new Aurora owners!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:59:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#30]
Got the current Aurora switched over to the MACHOS with the Norotos Dovetail Adapter and Wilcox PVS-18 Shoe. Nice setup - the MACHOS is a hefty hunk of gear, despite being 3D printed.. most of it is actually Aluminum and Steel, not worried about durability. Just waiting on the Sport and the Duracoat

Edit: Ace Hardware carries 3/32 x 1/2 Roll Pins - just need to cut it in half with a Dremel.

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Pre ordered yesterday thanks to this thread...I hate you guys
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By St1650:
My setup, just waiting on the 2 Sports to be delivered. My PD is 62 so should work as a bino setup. It was extremely affordable.

- Used Ebay Nototos TATM with universal plate conversion. Also got a spare Rhino II.
- Lion's Gear Solutions MACHO with their dovetail. Fits extremely tight with the TATM.

I first plan to play with my G19X with DPP but I'm considering a Perst 3/4 for the AR.
View Quote
My PID (measured by my self) was a 62 I think (posted back a bit) - and I had to still adjust the mount outward to get great alighnment - so what Lucien said about guys with like a 59 still using it, seem to be correct. I assume my other eye will need the same outward adjustment when the Sport arrives. PERST-4 would be good addition - I love my Holosun, and the PERST series are monster wattage beasts... wish the 3 was cheaper!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I just hopped on the preorder so hopefully my R2D2 will be here soon. I already have the helmet and a rhino so I just need the adapter that lets it sit properly. Can someone please PM me the info for the CHAIM?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By thesystem:
I just hopped on the preorder so hopefully my R2D2 will be here soon. I already have the helmet and a rhino so I just need the adapter that lets it sit properly. Can someone please PM me the info for the CHAIM?
View Quote
Pmed

Hopefully he's keeping up with all the people I've sent his way in the last few weeks
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Hopped on it too

CHAIM mount won't work on a dovetail mount (Wilcox G24) correct?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Pmed

Hopefully he's keeping up with all the people I've sent his way in the last few weeks
View Quote
Awesome, thank you
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By moozilla:
Hopped on it too

CHAIM mount won't work on a dovetail mount (Wilcox G24) correct?
View Quote
I'm not versed on your G24, but I think the Chaim mount will attach to your G24. You'll then need an M24 to connect the Chaim to the Aurora

Helmet > RHNO (G24 in your case) > Chaim >
M24 > Aurora.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not versed on your G24, but I think the Chaim mount will attach to your G24. You'll then need an M24 to connect the Chaim to the Aurora

Helmet > RHNO (G24 in your case) > Chaim >
M24 > Aurora.
View Quote
@JoeMal Thanks for the response but the rhino mount isn't a dovetail mount, it's a bayonet style mount.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:06:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#39]
Originally Posted By moozilla:

@JoeMal Thanks for the response but the rhino mount isn't a dovetail mount, it's a bayonet style mount.
View Quote
The Chaim is a bayonet into the rhno, and dovetail into the M24.

The Aurora has a threaded hole on bottom, similar to what a digital camera has to connect to a tripod

The M24 connects to that and becomes 'part of' the Aurora. Then you clip the unit into the dovetail portion of the Chaim.
@moozilla

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:26:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: moozilla] [#40]
The Chaim is a bayonet into the rhno, and dovetail into the M24.

The Aurora has a threaded hole on bottom, similar to what a digital camera has to connect to a tripod

The M24 connects to that and becomes 'part of' the Aurora. Then you clip the unit into the dovetail portion of the Chaim.
@moozilla

https://i.imgur.com/47vRVjH.jpg
View Quote
Understood sir, the G24 accepts M24 style mounts directly. Attached pic as an example. If I were to attach the M24 to the Aurora then to my G24, I'd need to be a cyclops or have a 3rd eye.
There are G24 bridge systems available such as the RQE bridge but I'm looking for something in the cost range of the CHAIM if that makes sense.

I think right now the only option would be the Lion's / Hyperion product but it's more costly than CHAIM (but less than an RQE!) and I don't want to go duals.

https://www.milspecmonkey.com/illumination/wilcox-l4-g24-022.jpg
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#41]
Gotcha. Was wondering if that's what you were getting at.

My opinion... You can get a RHNO for like $30 or 40. Add the cost the Chaim and the M24 and you're well well under what your G24 costs. Keep it, flip it, whatever. Not saying you shouldn't consider other products, but throwing out another option if you want a single tube mounting system
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:39:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#42]
Disregard
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By St1650:

View Quote
@St1650
Hows the fit of the TATM to the FMA EXF helmet NVG shroud? I've heard they can be wobbly?

Where did you get the universal (dovetail?) plate conversion?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I saw a cool SiOnyx post about a helmet mount this morning so I messaged them. They said to check out Lion's Gear Solutions on Facebook as they have some adapters and mounts for it already.

I also asked when we could anticipate them if we ordered the sports and they said "End of Aug, Early Sept. Once our Inventory shows up in the US"... hoping it gets here before my fall camping trip.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got a shipping notice!
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By beavis1957:
Just got a shipping notice!
View Quote
me too! so glad it's earlier, I wanna dick around with this thing!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Got my shipping notification. Look forward to playing around with some new tech.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#48]
a little research revealed sionyx received funding from Inqtel which is the CIA. Neat.

https://optics.org/news/10/1/27
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Already have duals, but this is seriously tempting at current price.

Anyone tried a Notoros dual dovetail for mounting?  If the screw hole on the aurora is the same threading as the j-arm attachment for PVS-14 it might work for dovetail mount users like myself.

If I end up getting one of these I will report back, as I already have G24 mount and Notoros adapter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#50]
fyi, I designed a dual mount that can be 3d printed. However, I do not have a sionyx yet or any mounts or anything. Let me know if it should be (A) bayonet mount for cheap $20 Norotros arm, or (B) Wilcox wedge mount which is more $$.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top