Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2018 12:46:12 AM EDT
Didn’t want to bury these in my old thread. Did some experimenting. Figured out how to fine tune the focus, used the IR illuminator, and got a new phone that takes better photos that more clearly represent what my eye sees through the unit. I’m really impressed with what this Gen 1+ can do!

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience is limited to Gen3+ so I have to ask, how well does Gen1+ work for star gazing?

I ask because I'd hate to spend the money on say, a PVS14 with Gen3+ for my significant other. I'll let her borrow my rig (Mod3 B) but hate that she may accidently stare at street lights and/or houses for longer than she should and cause damage to the tubes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My experience is limited to Gen3+ so I have to ask, how well does Gen1+ work for star gazing?

I ask because I'd hate to spend the money on say, a PVS14 with Gen3+ for my significant other. I'll let her borrow my rig (Mod3 B) but hate that she may accidently stare at street lights and/or houses for longer than she should and cause damage to the tubes.
View Quote
It's been so overcast here I couldn't tell you, lots of rain. As soon as I have a clear night I'll try and report back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not so great, but some improvement. To understand, a SPARK CORE is about the same as a PVS-14 on minimum gain - approx 100x system gain. So if you have a PVS-14, then turn the gain all the way down and try it out, and if you imagine a slightly narrower FOV and some distortion towards the edge, then that's about what you'd see with a SPARK CORE.

But since your SO can affect your budget, don't skimp on them... Get them a PVS-14. And that way you'll have a second unit whenever you're not out with her.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Those look good.  It seems a good IR light really makes these much better.  I’ve been on the edge of one of the Vampire models but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  Seems like for $1000 you can have the Vampire and a really good IR light and have the resolution of the top stuff.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those look good.  It seems a good IR light really makes these much better.  I’ve been on the edge of one of the Vampire models but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  Seems like for $1000 you can have the Vampire and a really good IR light and have the resolution of the top stuff.
View Quote
That's just the onboard IR. I have t figured out how to hold the sight, camera, and a separate IR illuminator all at once
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top