Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2018 7:10:56 PM EDT
I bought this missing the sensor and germanium lens. Any chance of finding them or did I just waste my money again?
The menu works anyway.

Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It will look cool in IG pics.  Haha

Can I as what you paid? PM me if you want.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m sure there is some way to fix it.  The question is, is it worth it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe there's a reason the sensor & lens was removed, perhaps for spare parts for another unit. I'd guess a 50/50 chance of it working if you find the correct sensor. Good luck figuring out where to get one, but hope you do! Was just looking at COTI prices and found this one too, though obviously it being in the US it was just for curiosity.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, unless it was free or you have one with everything but needs a new housing, I’d try to get my money back.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet the manufacturer's replacement cost for the lens and sensor are sky high.

The sensor is different in that it uses a DIP socket instead of soldered leads.
AFAIK the manufacturer is a French company (not Vectronix Safran) that makes the sensor for this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Any pics of the sensor socket and/or guesstimate on sensor dimensions or pin count? A socket mounted sensor reminds me of what was used in some industrial thermal cameras from the early/mid 2000s. Finding a suitable drop-in sensor would be a tough order but not necessarily impossible. Finding a sensor that could be made to work is also not out of the question. The drive and interface requirements for a thermal sensor ROIC often are quite universal. As the unit shows some signs of life, probing the sensor socket with a scope may yield all the clues you need.

Getting the optics right would be the least of my worries. Easy to figure out what focal length it's looking for and sourcing LWIR lenses isn't too scary and not necessarily cost prohibitive if one hunts the industrial/scientific surplus market.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
If you decide it's unfixable and want to get rid of it let me know. It'd make a badass paperweight at my job.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any pics of the sensor socket and/or guesstimate on sensor dimensions or pin count? A socket mounted sensor reminds me of what was used in some industrial thermal cameras from the early/mid 2000s. Finding a suitable drop-in sensor would be a tough order but not necessarily impossible. Finding a sensor that could be made to work is also not out of the question. The drive and interface requirements for a thermal sensor ROIC often are quite universal. As the unit shows some signs of life, probing the sensor socket with a scope may yield all the clues you need.
View Quote
Here is a picture of the sensor socket. It is 34 pins and 15x20 mm.
From the spec sheet from the manufacturer it is 320x240.
Looking closely it may have been soldered into the socket.

Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, that's about what I've seen in some older industrial cameras. Pin count and sensor dimensions were, unsurprisingly, different. Haven't cracked open any thermal gear made in say the last five years to see how it compares.

Don't have any specific leads for you, sorry. Only sensor I currently have handy to glance at has 44 pins and has them arranged in a square, otherwise it's of similar size tho a bit older.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
is all the rest in good order - li,ke the small projector unit ? if its only the sensor and lens then its worth some time to try to fix

could you go further back to the output from the thermal camera and replace the whole rarther than trying to find just the sensor ?  allthough it might have some of the fancy software built in to its own camera so that might not work too well - is it possible to fire it up as it is just to see if there is any output like text or menu overlay etc?  i'm just throwin ideas - cant help much
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Scan the bar-code on it and you might get info on the manufacturer and then pricing on the parts.

Just a thought...............
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I will try to contact the manufacturer about parts. Wish me luck.

Unfortunately thermal doesn't have someone like David CJ7HAWK who is willing to reveal the secret voodoo of thermal scopes.

The menu display does work and from what the Vectronix datasheet says there is the possibility of external video from an external thermal device. Possibly on the 4 pins on the back that I haven't figured out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't know if this is of any help, but following links via Thermoteknix searches brought me to this: https://alliedscientificpro.com/web/content/product.attachment/1057/product_attachment/name Where the HR320 would fit the size as far as I can tell plus the pin count in the picture is 17 per side. Not that it'd be the only one in the world that fits those criteria, but could get you closer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will try to contact the manufacturer about parts. Wish me luck.

Unfortunately thermal doesn't have someone like David CJ7HAWK who is willing to reveal the secret voodoo of thermal scopes.

The menu display does work and from what the Vectronix datasheet says there is the possibility of external video from an external thermal device. Possibly on the 4 pins on the back that I haven't figured out.
View Quote
That's the nicest thing anyone has said about me today :)

But you're correct. Thermal isn't an area I have much experience in.

The first thing you need to figure out about the video is whether it's composite or LVDS. If it's LVDS, you might be out of luck.

If nothing else, you could always turn it into an in-band laser rangefinder using the display optics.

David.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top