Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2018 11:52:27 AM EDT
I debated on whether or not to create this thread, but im really curious.
What night vision is restricted for civilian purchase/ownership and who developed those restrictions?

For example, I cant go buy GP18's from TNVC because XXXXX restricts sales to civilians. So obviously purchase is restricted (by who?), what about ownership? (provided they are not stolen)

Sam and Vic, you guys are probably going to be able to give the most accurate responses on this.

what about stuff like pvs-31's
pvs-21's
pas13c's
pas13f's
psq20b

ETA: I already know 3b lasers are restricted by the FDA
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Night vision and thermal devices are restricted by the manufacturer. There are no laws that prevent a US Citizen from purchasing these devices.

They are restricted due to demand by Gov't entities and their contracts which need to be fulfilled.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thermal with refresh rate 30hz and higher and all GENIII NV devices are restricted from being exported or taken out of the USA by US Stae Department ITAR regulations, including Canada and all NATO countries.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thermal with refresh rate 30hz and higher and all GENIII NV devices are restricted from being exported or taken out of the USA by US Stae Department ITAR regulations, including Canada and all NATO countries.
View Quote
yea I knew about ITAR already, I had to agree to the terms when I ordered my nods from TNVC.

I was more curious about specific devices if they were restricted.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The pvs-31's as I understand it are restricted by the manufacturer and as another poster said it is supposedly to meet the demands of Gov't contracts and LE. One member here is LE and recently purchased a set.

The pvs-21's are readily available if you are willing to pay the price. There is used one in the EE.

I cannot speak to the pas13c's and the pas13f's

The psq20b says restricted to Gov't agencies at TNVC and at other sites but they can be found. Again they carry a hefty price tag.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Cooled microbolometer thermal weapon scopes are also restricted by manufacturer to LE/MIL since they work so damn good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

DAG hit it basically on the head with 99% of all gear is restricted due to supply and demand first and foremost when it comes down to NVD's, NOT lasers. There is no restriction of ownership (U.S. Citizens) for these NVD's.

As for restrictions of the products you listed
PVS-21 - Unrestricted, we've sold them for many years now
PAS-13 Line - BAE for years restricted these and now that they're out of Mil Service, they still are restricted and BAE is sitting with no decisions on the surplus.
PSQ-20 (This is an interesting one).  When ITT first developed these, there were restricted at the onset due to supply and demand. When the Mil decided not to purchase near the QTY's ITT built up for many other reasons, there was a pretty large surplus...Then BINGO these became unrestricted to US citizens. Present day, L3 took over the program and now restricted with the new version.

Hope this helps.
View Quote
Thank you for the post sir.

I guess I was under the impression that some of these devices the government did not want in the public hands for whatever reasons (like 3b lasers)
which did not make sense to me because ultra high spec tubes make it into the hands of a civilians all the time.

another reason I created this thread is because I came across a business that is willing to sell all the devices I mentioned to civilians.
even GP18's with some VERY impressive WP tubes for under 35k.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you for the post sir.

I guess I was under the impression that some of these devices the government did not want in the public hands for whatever reasons (like 3b lasers)
which did not make sense to me because ultra high spec tubes make it into the hands of a civilians all the time.

another reason I created this thread is because I came across a business that is willing to sell all the devices I mentioned to civilians.
even GP18's with some VERY impressive WP tubes for under 35k.
View Quote
Get ready to meet Agent Wu and be deprived of both the goodies and the cash.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cooled microbolometer thermal weapon scopes are also restricted by manufacturer to LE/MIL since they work so damn good.
View Quote
I’d give my spare kidney for a MWIR cooled InSb FLIR HISS TWS Clip-on.

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There was another user here some years ago that purchased many high end pieces of gear and he became kind of a legend here with gobs of cash. In the end the "seller and sellers" who were offering this gear they were getting was not obtained legally. Just be very careful....
View Quote
Oh I remeber, that was TheHorta.

obviously I dont have 35k laying around to spend on nods anyway.
Another red flag that was raised was selling full power peq15's. Thats an instant red flag for me to avoid that seller.

I did message them on facebook inquiring about the items and asked if there was any restrictions to which he replied no as long as you are a US citizen.

which to me means

1. He does not know the law, specifically about 3b lasers and how they come into "circulation"

2. He knows the law and lied about them being restricted

3. he is selling stolen goods

regardless, I dont want any part that or the Wu
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://adsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/FLIR_HISS_2014.jpg
View Quote
you mean they wont even let you try them out!!?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If its the company I think you are talking about that sells all kinds of things from class 3 lasers to Restricted NV and Thermals from time to time.....stay very very far away. I'll leave it at that.
View Quote
I’m kinda sleepy and want a bed time story
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://adsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/FLIR_HISS_2014.jpg
Well, I did get to try them out, total game changer and freaking out of this world, but when I asked to buy it, “Show me your Federal Marshall’s badge and it’s all yours...”
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you at least call him a commie?

Quoted:

Well, I did get to try them out, total game changer and freaking out of this world, but when I asked to buy it, “Show me your Federal Marshall’s badge and it’s all yours...”
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did you at least call him a commie?
View Quote
No, he is a good friend of mine.

Fit perfect on the Barrett A2A1 .50 cal semiauto he has it mounted on. .338 Lapua also rocked with it a long ways out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#21]
The damn cooled Recon V Bino’s were to die for too, but at $80,000 I decided to pass.

BTW, the cooled HISS was $64,000, I could afford that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.

But yes. I wonder how long/if ever cooled thermal will be released. I've used me some for a long time at work and it really doesn't compare to what we can get. I can't imagine what the battery life is on that thing though.

Also, I want to be BAE or Trijicon's equivalent of Skypup. IM me!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top