Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2017 12:02:30 AM EDT
I got one of the NGI/PVS-14 Gen 2+. So far I'm very impressed with it. Have it mounted on a surplus ACH helmet with Rhino II mount and shroud. Got a cheap IR laser to mount on rifle but haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. I'll save my pennies and eventually get a DBAL or OTAL. Am I so badly equipped that I'll die quickly or is this a decent setup?
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
A gen 2+ 14 us a decent setup but is limited in darker lighting scenarios vs a modern gen 3. To compensate you will need to use an IR illuminator, but like with any light source it can help you as well as harm you if not used properly. On the downside everytime IR is used everyone with NODs can see it. As for your setup its a good start and a DBAL I2 9007 IR illuminator and laser is probably the best for the money.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Well your way ahead of me. All I have is my eyes and a flashlight
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A gen 2+ 14 us a decent setup but is limited in darker lighting scenarios vs a modern gen 3. To compensate you will need to use an IR illuminator, but like with any light source it can help you as well as harm you if not used properly. On the downside everytime IR is used everyone with NODs can see it. As for your setup its a good start and a DBAL I2 9007 IR illuminator and laser is probably the best for the money.
View Quote
I've been pretty impressed with this one so far after having it out on some pretty dark moonless nights. I was active duty early to mid 90s when we had PVS-7s we thought were amazing. This seems to perform better than they did.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Gen 2 and 2+ is completely usable. The newer Gen 2+ stuff is typically pretty impressive until you get into some really dark environments, and you can always add a little supplemental IR light to improve the performance. I think its great that there is an option for usable tech at a lower price point.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#5]
What they said.  I think you're light years ahead of anyone without it.  A little supplemental IR isn't THAT bad.  Even the big boys use it.  I run basically the same set up as you, with an OTAL, SF Vampire, and I've been really happy with it.  Got a TAPS Pro on order, which will complete the set up.  If you took the money you saved and put a can on it, you'd be way ahead of anyone with state of the art NV but minimal flash suppression.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm even cheaper and have a Armasight SPARK CORE and I'm not dead yet lol.   IR illumination is a must though.  I justify right now as not many people have NV to start with.  Scum bags even more so it seems since they can barely afford more than a few boxes of ammo and mags from what I've seen of confiscated stuff from raids.  Gen 2+ or 3 is on the short list of luxury items.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]
You are set up better then a north Korea soldier or any antifa....I say you live.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are set up better then a north Korea soldier or any antifa....I say you live.
View Quote
You do realize, I take it, that North Korean special forces are much better equipped than any US group, excepting US special forces don't you?

They even wear US made uniforms.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Eh well it SOUNDED funny, what with the average Joe, or I should say "Kim" up there in shit shape.  

I trained with ROK Marine Force Recon at Pohang.  Those guys are hard as woodpecker lips.  With or without NV and whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]
You're probably not gonna die.

Just practice IR light/laser discipline and understand that there's people out there who can see you a lot better than you can see them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You do realize, I take it, that North Korean special forces are much better equipped than any US group, excepting US special forces don't you?

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You figure the majority of Americans don't own modern weapons. Of those that do, a majority don't own body armor. Of those that do, the majority don't own nods of any type. Of those that do, the majority probably don't have latest greatest gen 3. Of those that do, most probably don't practice shooting with them because they don't want to scratch the paint on an optical device worth as much as their 10 year old car. 

I'd say you're doing better than 99% of folks. 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been pretty impressed with this one so far after having it out on some pretty dark moonless nights. I was active duty early to mid 90s when we had PVS-7s we thought were amazing. This seems to perform better than they did.
View Quote
No doubt the Gen 2+ unit I had was great for the money and it rivaled some early Gen 3 units. The only reason I upgraded the tube to an Omni VII was when we where in a dark canyon, moon/starless sky it was almost pitch black. With a Dbal D2 it was great, but without the aide of IR I couldn't see 15 yards in front of me while the other guys running Gen 3 14/Sentinels had little difficulty. In an urban environment my Gen 2+ did fine. Like others said use additional IR sparingly, know your limitations and your GTG. for detection a Gen 1 is better than nothing, a Gen 2 is better than that, Gen 3 is better in near dark conditions and thermal will see everyone coming at distance, but will not be able to positively ID you from far away. Point being know your gear's weakness as well as its advantages and you'll do fine. Like another poster mentioned most have their kit stored in the safe or Go Bag and never/hardly use it. Train/practice often with your rig and you'll be way ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You figure the majority of Americans don't own modern weapons. Of those that do, a majority don't own body armor. Of those that do, the majority don't own nods of any type. Of those that do, the majority probably don't have latest greatest gen 3. Of those that do, most probably don't practice shooting with them because they don't want to scratch the paint on an optical device worth as much as their 10 year old car. 

View Quote
Very true. People who don't practice with the gear they own might as well not own it. I love buying blemished gear, because, lol, it's gonna get that nick/scratch/scrape/paint-transfer one way or another. Might as well get a discount out of it.

The important thing is to run the gear. Go get the mail after dark. Take the garbage out at night. Go to the woodshed and fill your wheelbarrow with firewood in the dark, then bring it back to the house. All of these things are things that will help familiarize you with operating under NODs. If you know how to run it, you probably won't die.

On another note, Couch-Commando: Sir, have you heard of cola warrior?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The important thing is to run the gear. Go get the mail after dark. Take the garbage out at night. Go to the woodshed and fill your wheelbarrow with firewood in the dark, then bring it back to the house. All of these things are things that will help familiarize you with operating under NODs. 
View Quote
Out of interest, do you guys in the US get scorpions camping in the woodpile and coming out at night? I just stay away from the woodpile at night, or I end up with scorpions and redbacks running all over the house. 

But I really do agree with this general concept, and it's really important. As an added note, I'd say learn to do a lot of stuff in the dark entirely... I know this sounds counter to using night vision, but it's really important to be comfortable in the dark without a flashlight. And also it can be worth letting someone else wear the NOD and learning to walk with them even without a NOD. You learn a lot from walking in the dark without NODs from time to time, especially while navigating. 

Also keep in mind that if you wear prescription lenses, your prescription may change in the dark somewhat. Learn to be comfortable with and without it, and know your limitations. 

Regards
David
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#17]
unintentional double
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I get giant brown spiders in my wood shed. I've yet to have one bite me though, so there's that.

Nothing can prepare you for the absolute terror of having a big spider crawl on you in the dark with NODs that require you to manually focus.

I say "giant" but I realize I'm speaking to an aussie... So, medium/small? lol

ETA: Keep in mind, I'm in a more northern climate. The climate here is closer to England, Northern France, or Central Germany (non-mountainous).
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I say "giant" but I realize I'm speaking to an aussie... So, medium/small? lol
View Quote
I hear you got some pretty big spiders in the states too. Heavier than we get them as well.

Most of the ones I encounter are about the size of my palm and a few the size of my hand, but they are pretty harmless. Well, the palm-sized ones are actually pretty venomous, but they don't bite too often. 

It's the small ones that are the most dangerous. Especially the ones where your arm falls off after they bite you. And the redbacks and brown widows. I think the brown widows can even recognize faces and are very aggressive.

And the F*&^&n "orb weavers" who just have to go and spin a web about 6 yards across every night so they cover the natural path between trees, and they get real cranky when you walk through their webs. I don't actually know how dangerous they are, but it's not pleasant walking through their web. Each time I find one near the house, I relocate it. 

But I hear you - learning to deal with spiders while wearing NODs is a critical, if not particularly pleasant, task. 

David. 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gen 2 and 2+ is completely usable. The newer Gen 2+ stuff is typically pretty impressive until you get into some really dark environments, and you can always add a little supplemental IR light to improve the performance. I think its great that there is an option for usable tech at a lower price point.
View Quote
I can vouch on that. I bought a cheap PVS-14 Gen 2+ for personal use like rucking at night, night gazing and hunting. We use the latest Gen 3+ and WP at our unit and obviously those devices blow my Gen 2+ out of the water when it comes to very dark conditions. I was on a trail with tall trees and the branches/leaves blocked out a lot of the moon and stars light that it made my route a little too dark to navigate without supplemental IR. Gen 2 devices are great for personal use for the everyday person or service member who is on a budget but Gen 3 outperforms everything prior when it comes to dark conditions. I wish I took some pictures that night.

Now, don't go out and trying to buy the latest and greatest NVG's available because I highly doubt your kicking down doors, hunting communists or Al Qaeda on the weekends. If you have money to blow, go ahead. If you don't, buy what's affordable and works for you. I'm happy with my Gen 2+ setup.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm even cheaper and have a Armasight SPARK CORE and I'm not dead yet lol.   IR illumination is a must though.  I justify right now as not many people have NV to start with.  Scum bags even more so it seems since they can barely afford more than a few boxes of ammo and mags from what I've seen of confiscated stuff from raids.  Gen 2+ or 3 is on the short list of luxury items.
View Quote
You know, I've used a wide range of generations of NOD's since enlisted and for some reason I still enjoy Gen 1 devices even though they don't perform as well as the later generations. I got to use a Spark Core at a gun show with the cap on during the day but the resolution was awesome. I would still like to get my hands on that unit and bring it home to use on a simple camping trip instead of bringing out the expensive stuff.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Very true. People who don't practice with the gear they own might as well not own it. I love buying blemished gear, because, lol, it's gonna get that nick/scratch/scrape/paint-transfer one way or another. Might as well get a discount out of it.

The important thing is to run the gear. Go get the mail after dark. Take the garbage out at night. Go to the woodshed and fill your wheelbarrow with firewood in the dark, then bring it back to the house. All of these things are things that will help familiarize you with operating under NODs. If you know how to run it, you probably won't die.

View Quote
I went to Cola Warrior 4. Got nearly last place (I'm horribly out of shape and too lazy to fix that). Cola Warrior is where I realized that I had to have night vision. 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went to Cola Warrior 4. Got nearly last place (I'm horribly out of shape and too lazy to fix that). Cola Warrior is where I realized that I had to have night vision. 
View Quote
You should fix that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Im a real snob, but if it came down to a clear gen 2 or some second rate blem gen3.I'd go gen 2.
I understand that this is completely irrational, its just the way im wired.

I dont think your as likely to die from your setup...than if your wife read the credit card bill after buying what you'd like.

The gen 3s are amazing, possibly overkill for alot of my uses(thick woods)
But gen 2 to me is the bare minimum.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You know, I've used a wide range of generations of NOD's since enlisted and for some reason I still enjoy Gen 1 devices even though they don't perform as well as the later generations. I got to use a Spark Core at a gun show with the cap on during the day but the resolution was awesome. I would still like to get my hands on that unit and bring it home to use on a simple camping trip instead of bringing out the expensive stuff.
View Quote
When I was in the Marine Corps I handled and tested AN-AVS9s almost daily (dual tube units) and looking through them into the "Hoffman Box" to focus them the SPARK has almost as good of resolution as they did.  Obviously its way behind in the light amplification department but resolution was right up there close to it.  I used the test box for my SPARK as well and was able to resolve them pretty close to what the AVS9s are required to do by the manual but only in standard mode.  In "Low light mode" the test chart was all but unreadable with the SPARK.  Better than naked eye vision but nowhere near the AVS9s.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When I was in the Marine Corps I handled and tested AN-AVS9s almost daily (dual tube units) and looking through them into the "Hoffman Box" to focus them the SPARK has almost as good of resolution as they did.  Obviously its way behind in the light amplification department but resolution was right up there close to it.  I used the test box for my SPARK as well and was able to resolve them pretty close to what the AVS9s are required to do by the manual but only in standard mode.  In "Low light mode" the test chart was all but unreadable with the SPARK.  Better than naked eye vision but nowhere near the AVS9s.
View Quote
My little comparison album:
https://imgur.com/a/U7I4E
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a huge difference between Gen 2+ and thin film Gen 3, but that filmless is amazing!
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not a huge difference between Gen 2+ and thin film Gen 3, but that filmless is amazing!
View Quote
Not until you re-do the test in a near dark condition, then thats where the Gen 3 will leave the Gen 1,2,2+ in the dust.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd like to see evidence of your claim.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

OP here is my setup a d300 gen2 + on a paratrooper ready older helmet

the ir laser is on the tlr-2 eyesafe Ican dsee out to 700 yards rhe ir led illumn I can see out to 200 ish depending on weather.

this set up is great & I have used pac 4s & peq2a

I have $2,730 in rifle(bcm upper, RRA LOWER) optic ,NVD, white light, & Ir laser/illum.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not until you re-do the test in a near dark condition, then thats where the Gen 3 will leave the Gen 1,2,2+ in the dust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had mine out last night with no moon and no artificial lighting near, just stars. Image seemed a little dark but was still quite usable.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Curios about the cheap IR laser OP mentions. What did you get and what were your initial impressions?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:25:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Had mine out last night with no moon and no artificial lighting near, just stars. Image seemed a little dark but was still quite usable.
View Quote
Yup Gen 2+ is great with just a bit of light and IMHO is well suited for an urban environment.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Curios about the cheap IR laser OP mentions. What did you get and what were your initial impressions?
View Quote
G Sight Gladiator IR. Seems pretty solid and easily picked up
through the PVS. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet so can't answer that. A DBAL or at least an OTAL is in my future though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gen2+ in near-dark conditions is equivalent to leaving the day-cap on filmless gen3.

I don't have a gen2+ unit anymore to replicate the demonstration.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup. God you’d think i was asking people to help dispose of dead bodies. Everyone talks big but when it’s time to go everyone disappears lol.

Going out Sunday night in fact. Test out a new PC in the dark. Should be fun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Congrats MIG-21 for taking advantage of the edge you can afford.
That is what the wise man does.
Of the millions and millions who lack your initiative, most don't have the sense to attack with the sun at their backs or from the shadows.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Gen2+ in near-dark conditions is equivalent to leaving the day-cap on filmless gen3.

View Quote
Seriously, this is a bit of a generalization. Gen2+ is just a technology differentiatior. You need to pay attention to the datasheets, specifically S/N.... Gen2 and Gen3 with equal S/N will perform around the same level in near-dark conditions, since they are the conditions under which they are measured.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Seriously, this is a bit of a generalization. Gen2+ is just a technology differentiatior. You need to pay attention to the datasheets, specifically S/N.... Gen2 and Gen3 with equal S/N will perform around the same level in near-dark conditions, since they are the conditions under which they are measured.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advertised S/N is 18 and 51+ lp/mm. That puts it right there with Gen 3, Omni III. Which would explain why it seems to perform better than the PVS-7s we had in the early 90s (most likely Omni I or II).
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#41]
You tried out that G-sight Gladiator yet? Curious as to how it's working out. I'd like to get a couple for various rifles so when I'm walking to my deer stand with my PVS14 on before daylight and encounter pigs I can take them out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You tried out that G-sight Gladiator yet? Curious as to how it's working out. I'd like to get a couple for various rifles so when I'm walking to my deer stand with my PVS14 on before daylight and encounter pigs I can take them out.
View Quote
Still haven't had a chance to shoot with it but so far it looks pretty good for such a cheap unit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Are you dead yet?

Or how does it work for you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Are you dead yet?

View Quote
His name was MiG-21.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
His name was MiG-21.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you dead yet?

His name was MiG-21.
Still kicking. I've been getting out around the property and at work with my gear. Takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why would you and the OP die?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:11:39 AM EDT
[#48]
No ones answered this.

Is he serious about dying? Or is some joke?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No ones answered this.

View Quote
Pretty sure he already died. This is relatively common when not buying the absolute most expensive gear on the market.

I did hear that he got better, though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No ones answered this.

View Quote
It'll buff out. Anyways back on topic. Any civilian will be fine with 90% of Gen 2 and up night vision devices for most practical uses. Hell, even the best Gen 1 devices with a decent/cheap IR light will be fine. If you are worried about people/animals seeing you in the dark then you either got to spend more money, be smart with how you setup and use your device (all generations) or either that some special ops unit has already seen you or already knows where you're at so I wouldn't even worry about it. If your not trying to defend your land from wild predators, work in law enforcement, sometime type of emergency services in rough terrain like the mountains or desert (a couple of examples), or hunting bad guys state side or down range then there's really no reason to spend a lot of money on expensive generation might division devices.

If you got money to blow then by all means do what you want. Just remember that if you're really worried about someone seeing you in the dark, always remember there is someone that that has something better. I mean hell, I'm still serving and when were in the field doing some training sometimes I can't even see the MF's hiding in the tree line while we use the most current Gen 3+ and WP devices. Then we pull out the thermals just to find out that the OFOR guys have thermals too and already spotted us. Always be realistic with your purpose on using the device and what your budget can handle and that's why I settled on a Gen 2+ device.

Sometimes I wish I just got a decent Gen 1 with a really good IR light so I could save some money for other things like range time and beer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top