Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 1:54:28 PM EDT
I just got these and think that the owner changed the tubes. There are supposed to be autogated. no sound when turned on.

" />
" />
" />

These are my first set, I was under the impression that autogated meant the woosh sound.

I may be wrong. I will contact Night Optics and see if they can ID the tube.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
What does the tube say on it exactly? Autogating is not so much a "woosh" sound as much as an electric whine, like a camera flash capacitor recharging.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
And keep in mind, it's not always within the spectrum of human hearing.

I found the easiest way was to look at a streetlight, preferably one 50-75 yards away. If it auto-darkens you're good, if not you need a shoebox and 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
if you look at a brighter area then the ABC will cut the brightness of a standard tube - with an autogated one it will be so fast to change you proberbly
will not see the change , but with some standard tubes the ABC is not noticable either -  some gated tubes are quiet and in the housing you might not hear the whine, there is
a way to tell by lowering the tube voltage till the gating slows so you can see it and on utube there is a video -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ike1VsbI7o
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for all the input guys.

Well the good thing is that there is no blemish on the tube.

They look nice and clear.

They are third gen. Gated or not they should do what i need them to do when I need them.

Better than no NV at all.

Night Optics tech said I was good and tube was legit.

thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top