Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2015 12:42:27 PM EDT
I just bought a another PVS-14 after a few years being without a set as I sold mine to move. Getting back into the game. I currently have a standard Mich with rails (ACH-ARC) and a standard NVG plate and a replica ops-core bump (I used it for the nvg mount/go pro camera when rock climbing when I lived in Oregon). I also have another mich with no mounts on it. I like the bump helmet for the weight but can't see paying that much for it when you can get new mich/ach for the same price. I don't feel comfortable puting my PVS-14 on the replica (ok with a $150 gopro though).

Are the main reasons for the bump styles just the weight/ comfort reasons? I was in the Marines so wearing a ballistic helmet is not new to me or uncomfortable. I was thinking of selling my extra mich and getting a nice shroud for my railed helmet yet I'm kinda intrigued by the bump styles because my replica was pretty comfortable rock climbing /mountaineering.  

What are the cons of just using the mich? What are the advantages of getting a bump?

I'll be using my NVG's for night time target shooting and incase of SHTF

this is my mich with rails (was a commercial black one that the PO painted tan)
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Info on your new PVS-14 please?  I'm thinking of buying my first NV.    

As for wearing them, I'm wondering if a helmet is the way to go, or the head gear, etc???  My friend bought a thermal, but that is much more than I want to spend.   Please share your thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As for wearing them, I'm wondering if a helmet is the way to go, or the head gear, etc???  My friend bought a thermal, but that is much more than I want to spend.   Please share your thoughts.
View Quote
I use head gear right now for my mono system (not pvs -14) and it gets annoying for me at least withing being in the mud boat and walking on my hunting property. I will have a pvs 14 shortly and I know I am going to try out the wendy exfil ltp in black, it gets great reviews and it doesn't break the bank.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I use head gear right now for my mono system (not pvs -14) and it gets annoying for me at least withing being in the mud boat and walking on my hunting property. I will have a pvs 14 shortly and I know I am going to try out the wendy exfil ltp in black, it gets great reviews and it doesn't break the bank.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the good info.  I was thinking hard about the using the head gear, But you bring up something that had crossed my mind.  Sweating, wearing a hat, etc...  Would the head gear perform reliably?  I wanted to avoid having to wear a helmet.  But maybe it's the best way to go.

The Team Wendy EXFIL looks like a winner.  The LTP ($299.00), Carbon ($529.00), and Ballistic ($962.00) options are interesting.  A standard MICH helmet, which offers ballistic protection, is a lot less - correct?  Plus, for about $100.00 you can put a Team Wendy Resolve kit in it.  It there a reason you would buy a LTP, verses a MICH and add the Resolve kit?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The exfil LTP is going to be super light that is the one im going with. I just find ( I have hunting property in South Louisiana) the headgear is more of a problem than anything.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The TW LTP is going to be about 1/2 the weight of MICH, it only weighs 1.65 lbs.  I haven't tried any other helmets, but my TW LTP is super comfortable, I can wear it for hours with out any discomfort.  Most people who have tried them all will tell you the TW is the most comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing I wanted to mention in favor of ballistics, is they are very warm and work great with the usgi balaclava that has the vented top.  For me I hunt cold months only so its a handy side effect.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

just got a used pvs-14 off the EE

shop around lots for sale

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Love my team wendy LTP tnvc was right.  My wife told me to stop wearing it in the house when I first got it.  Making a loaner setup right now and keep wanting to buy another just for that.  Yeah I could rig up some crud for less than 100 but I want whoever is with me to keep up.  I haven't heard of anyone not liking the LTP yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top