Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 10:02:56 AM EDT
I have both a Ruger threaded 22/45 and a suppressor ordered.  Is a small red dot usable on a pistol with a helmet mounted PVS 14?

If so, any recommendations for under $250?

Probably get an under-mounted IR laser too, but the red dot would be useful day or night.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, its easier than open sights for sure. I have a Glock 23 with a Burris Fast Fire II that I use with a pvs-14. It does take a little practice, but its a usable combination. However, I would spend a little more and get a different sight. There are several things I don't care for on the fast fire, but most people love them, so maybe I'm just picky.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
using the T1 on the 22/45 works well with head mounted 14
even better when ir illuminator is on the rail of the pistol

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a Crimson Trace Rail Master IR for my FNX-45 Tactical with Trijicon RM06.. havent been able to use it with my PVS-14 yet..
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You prefer at 2 MOA or 4 MOA T1?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I would probably find a red dot that is night vision compatible.   I was told by dealer that I bought my PVS 14 from that the tritium in an ACOG could burn an image into the tube.  I used by pvs14 behind my ACOG long enough to co-witness  an IR laser and can believe what he said.  Crimson Trace Railmaster IR works pretty good but so bright it has a pretty big halo.  Same with the IR laser grips I have on my Sig 226.  If you can afford it, I would go with a Aimpoint T-1 since it has night vision settings.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask and you shall receive... 22/45 that I use. I got the sight from TNVC for around 100$ I remember. I have an IR rail master for the armadillos at night. The red dot is perfect in size but too bright but you can adjust the brightness by putting tape over the light sensor. Worked great!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2moa is better as you are shooting on a pistol...IMO
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If you put a 720nm 30mm IR pass filter on the objective of your PVS14, you can use a non-NV red dot sight just fine.  As for the Crimson Trace Rail Master being too bright, I believe that ident offers a service for less than $30 that puts neutral density filter in front of the laser that cuts the beam's strength way down and gives a crisp dot at pistol ranges.  I've found that using the 720nm filter on the PVS14 with a standard red laser like the standard CT Ruger MKII grips or their visible red Rail Master is good out to 100 yards.  When using the 720 filter, the regular 5mw red visible laser is easy to see with no IR help, but if using strong IR, it gets washed out.  Oh, and while using the 720 filter, the Rail Master IR laser is a freaking light saber, until you light up the IR, and then it is usable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would probably find a red dot that is night vision compatible.   I was told by dealer that I bought my PVS 14 from that the tritium in an ACOG could burn an image into the tube.  I used by pvs14 behind my ACOG long enough to co-witness  an IR laser and can believe what he said.  Crimson Trace Railmaster IR works pretty good but so bright it has a pretty big halo.  Same with the IR laser grips I have on my Sig 226.  If you can afford it, I would go with a Aimpoint T-1 since it has night vision settings.
View Quote

I look through it with my unaided eye, which obviously the 14 is pointing in the same direction, but I don't get any bloom, and its a lot different holding the dot arms length away from you than mounting it an inch from the dot. But yes, NV compatible is preferred if you can. I have on mini RDS that is NV compatible and like it better, but haven't had time to mount it up on a handgun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have zero bloom with my CT rail master FWIW...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you you like the RailMaster in general?  I have been thinking about getting one for my Buckmark, but the iR version doesn't seem to be a whole lot less expensive than a LAS/TAC.  Does it fit both Pic and Glock rails?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you you like the RailMaster in general?  I have been thinking about getting one for my Buckmark, but the iR version doesn't seem to be a whole lot less expensive than a LAS/TAC.  Does it fit both Pic and Glock rails?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I have not tried it on my glock34 yet but it tightens with a screw so I don't see a problem. I absolutely love my rail master... Easy to turn on/off and works great shooting the dillos in the backyard with my helmet pvs14 rig. Buy one you will be happy
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just bought my CT rail master IR for $165 shipped, you can get them retrofitted to lower the output so it won't bloom
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Just bought my CT rail master IR for $165 shipped, you can get them retrofitted to lower the output so it won't bloom
View Quote

Where did you buy he asks?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I added a filter to mine. It's perfect now.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#16]
He is my ruger with a CT Railmaster and a cheap sightmark red dot. I can actual use the red dot with my nv, as long as it's on the low setting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#17]

22/44 with vortex SPARC red dot.

Has NV setting.
Cheap.
Works.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

TNVC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top