Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Posted: 8/29/2007 11:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: murderman]
There have been several threads in the past; here is a chance to consolidate current concepts for the topic.

Ballistic rig on the left, scout rig on the right.  The plates are both bolted down to keep from changing position, with the top strap minimizing stress on that joint, as well as providing a very convenient place to ty-rap the Guardians.  

The MSA rig is balanced on a styrofoam mannequin head with the PVS both up and down; it is like that on a real head as well.  

Edited to add a couple shots with the CSM bracket:

Updated with the do rag replacement pic.

Latest mods...some paint and an M600C/KM2:

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bullf-16:
Thanks, I'll just keep it on the OPsCore since it is much better.  Also the TW has a Wilcox G24 with a powered dovetail J-arm set up for the -14.  With the bungees on the sentinels its rock solid and i have about 3/8" clearance from my glasses.  Even more when not using the rubber eyecups.  Are they even necessary, i.e, seems their only purpose is to block light.  NOt worried about that, im no operator.
View Quote
Get yourself some Wilcox amber filters. You won’t be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:38:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwikvette] [#2]
Rather than bother with dual PVS14, I just picked up some Mod3'S

Ops Core Carbon
Team Wendy EPIC Air Combat liner
Team Wendy CAM FIT H-back retention
TNVC Mohawk MK2 counterweight
AB Nightvision Mod3B with AVS9 lenses
Wilcox L4 G24 mount
Peltor Comtac III earpro
Peltor ARC rail adapters
S&S Manta strobe
Princeton Switch Rail light
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Kwikvette:
Rather than bother with dual PVS14, I just picked up some Mod3'S

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180425/c003d9011ab7f4167129889f4d6768ed.jpg
View Quote
Looks awesome bud
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Aeneas2020:

Looks awesome bud
View Quote
Thank you!

Looking forward to seeing your rig once you got it all together
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#6]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw an actual operator using the eyecups.

Never say never, and all, I've seen 'em used before, but it's not the "normal" way of running them, they tend to trap heat and moisture (leading to fogging), and remove a lot of situational awareness, particularly with binos when your only real indication of ambient visible light conditions is around the goggles.

I've been a pretty unrepentant Ops-Core fan over the Team Wendys, even before there was any political hoopla over them, so I can't say I disapprove of your choice to run your Sentinels on the Ops-Core.

FWIW, if you find the TW suspension and pads more comfortable, you can always swap them and install all that stuff in the Ops-Core.

~Augee
View Quote
LOL....ive been dying for a new Opscore helmet since i got into this....unobtanium.  I found mine on the EE.  I needed a 2nd setup for my pvs14 so figured wth.  I could find the TW all day long so i did it.  I may just drop another 3 bills for an opscore when the new shipment shows up.  Might as well.  The TW is ok but whats with the rails on the side.  Need a different peltor adapter etc.  Its comfortable and it was in stock.  For some reason i prefer new vs 2nd hand.  It tends to itch my brain if its not new....

Thanks TNVS for all you help here.  I got my Sentinels from you a couple weeks ago from VIC.  I would have a MAWL but that is also unobtanium at the moment.  When you get the ops core bumps, i requested to be notified.  WE'll see about that.  NC is cool though.

Good to hear about the eyecups.  NOw how bout the demist shields and sacrificial lenses on the fronts?  Should i be running those since i have em.  Or maybe the amber filters????  sorry, newb as you know
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL....ive been dying for a new Opscore helmet since i got into this....unobtanium.  I found mine on the EE.  I needed a 2nd setup for my pvs14 so figured wth.  I could find the TW all day long so i did it.  I may just drop another 3 bills for an opscore when the new shipment shows up.  Might as well.  The TW is ok but whats with the rails on the side.  Need a different peltor adapter etc.  Its comfortable and it was in stock.  For some reason i prefer new vs 2nd hand.  It tends to itch my brain if its not new....

Thanks TNVS for all you help here.  I got my Sentinels from you a couple weeks ago from VIC.  I would have a MAWL but that is also unobtanium at the moment.  When you get the ops core bumps, i requested to be notified.  WE'll see about that.  NC is cool though.

Good to hear about the eyecups.  NOw how bout the demist shields and sacrificial lenses on the fronts?  Should i be running those since i have em.  Or maybe the amber filters????  sorry, newb as you know
View Quote
I would definitely recommend running the demist shields if for nothing else the protection they offer. As for the front lenses you have some options.

If you’re not aware you can get covers that have a (roughly) .223 hole in the middle of them. When you flip them closed it brings everything very close to you in focus. So you set your normal focus to infinity and when you need to see close (in a room for example) you flip them closed and bam, everything is clear. Keep in mind this also restricts light but with new WP sents it shouldn’t be a prob.

You can spend the money on actual products designed for this like the phokus(spelling?) or the tasier eclipse(again, spelling?) or you can save a lot of money and just buy two Butler creek caps (for scopes) and make the holes yourself.

So it offers protection and added focus.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DoorEKk] [#8]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

Prepare to have your socks knocked off.  The D2 illuminator is titties.

Pic thread:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108939/IMG_1133-524588.JPG
View Quote
Mind blown. She’s a little bigger than I thought but that’s never stopped me So that’s what it’s like..
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:02:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MBaylor9] [#9]
Here is a new Ops Core upgrade shell only that I finished building using quality replica occ dial and replica side rails from a company,that makes ballistic helmets that these go on and not for airsoft so the quality is very similar to OPs Core. The pads and the actual helmet shell,and velcro are AUTHENTIC OPS CORE. Just finished it today

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FullAutoHound:

I would definitely recommend running the demist shields if for nothing else the protection they offer. As for the front lenses you have some options.

If you're not aware you can get covers that have a (roughly) .223 hole in the middle of them. When you flip them closed it brings everything very close to you in focus. So you set your normal focus to infinity and when you need to see close (in a room for example) you flip them closed and bam, everything is clear. Keep in mind this also restricts light but with new WP sents it shouldn't be a prob.

You can spend the money on actual products designed for this like the phokus(spelling?) or the tasier eclipse(again, spelling?) or you can save a lot of money and just buy two Butler creek caps (for scopes) and make the holes yourself.

View Quote
Exactly what I did.  I made the holes a little smaller but they work fantastic and a hell of a lot cheaper than the specialized options.

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]

If you’re not aware you can get covers that have a (roughly) .223 hole in the middle of them. When you flip them closed it brings everything very close to you in focus. So you set your normal focus to infinity and when you need to see close (in a room for example) you flip them closed and bam, everything is clear. Keep in mind this also restricts light but with new WP sents it shouldn’t be a prob.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is what I did for my 14. Butler Creek O9A and a 7mm drill was like $15 off amazon. Works well enough, you definitely notice how much light it limits on really dark nights or if the you keep the gain turned down low like I do. Easy fix of cranking the gain up or using the onboard IR illum thats otherwise been useless for me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Can anyone chime in if I should bother doING the above mod to my Mod3's?

If you notice, my Mod3's are *not* like the other ones.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
I use the butler creek covers on Sentinels.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Texasmusic:

I use the butler creek covers on Sentinels.
View Quote
I just ordered the BC 09A for my sentinels and -14.  Is the size that will work?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered the BC 09A for my sentinels and -14.  Is the size that will work?
View Quote
Yeah, same ones I use. Just have to shim them a little with some tape to get a tight fit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
It’s sorta hard to see but yeah, you just have to find the correct size. You might gave to shim a tad. I don’t remember what size mine are but they fit like a glove on my 14’s.

You can play with the hole size to see what you like best. From pics I’ve seen some guys run 5 mm. Some 7.  And if you fuck it up it’s only like $10.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:37:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwikvette] [#17]

It’s sorta hard to see but yeah, you just have to find the correct size. You might gave to shim a tad. I don’t remember what size mine are but they fit like a glove on my 14’s.

You can play with the hole size to see what you like best. From pics I’ve seen some guys run 5 mm. Some 7.  And if you fuck it up it’s only like $10.
View Quote
Will do.

Running ANVIS 9 focusing lenses HERE, and the caps are different than what I had on my PVS14. Will check out the size later, but the caps are definitely a lot thicker.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
07 is what I use on my sentinels and -14 and it is a perfect fit.  Not shim/tape needed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#19]
Originally Posted By vanrichten:
07 is what I use on my sentinels and -14 and it is a perfect fit.  Not shim/tape needed.
View Quote
Damn, ordered 3 of 09A....only 10 quid
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, ordered 3 of 09A....only 10 quid
View Quote
A wrap or two of electrical and they'll fit fine
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mattg72] [#21]

Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By phurba:

That bag is sexy. Who makes it?
View Quote
https://www.hardheadveterans.com/products/combat-helmet-bag
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mattg72:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By phurba:

That bag is sexy. Who makes it?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice setup! On the peltors, are those plugs for a boom mic? They look similar to the ones on my comtacs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mattg72] [#27]
Originally Posted By 4DoorEKk:

Nice setup! On the peltors, are those plugs for a boom mic? They look similar to the ones on my comtacs.
View Quote
Thanks. If you mean these, here's a closeup...
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Build in progress, large Gentex TBH-II high cut. Needs a certain je ne sais quoi, but it's functional for now

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Munzy and Augee are right, the Butler Creek 09A fit great with a little tape shimming. But instead of electrical tape I used some cut down black self-adhering bandage tape, which unlike most electrical tape leaves no sticky residue behind when you remove it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Thanks. If you mean these, here's a closeup... https://i.imgur.com/pT2N7mq.jpg
View Quote
That’s them. Thanks. Looks like u can run the same boom mic as the comtacs. Atleast the plug is the same. But there’s no down lead for a PTT so I’m confused. ?????
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mattg72] [#31]
Originally Posted By 4DoorEKk:

That’s them. Thanks. Looks like u can run the same boom mic as the comtacs. Atleast the plug is the same. But there’s no down lead for a PTT so I’m confused. ?????
View Quote
So Peltor sells a patch cable that connects certain headsets to microphones, radios or other personal entertainment devices (listen only)...
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-Audio-Input-Cable-FL6H-3-5mm-Mono-Plug-1-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294754526&rt=rud
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
Build in progress, large Gentex TBH-II high cut. Needs a certain je ne sais quoi, but it's functional for now

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/242214/IMG_20180430_205102066-530717.jpg
View Quote
What are you running as a counterweight?
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/242214/IMG_20180430_205102066-530717.jpg
Nothing at the moment - trying to decide what to go with. As it's ballistic, it does a decent job of balancing on its own, but I haven't had a whole lot of time in it to see what the neck strain is like.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got back from my first pig hunt.  HFS.......awesome at the very least

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:32:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DoorEKk] [#35]
So the force to overcome method of flipping the goggle up and down with the Wilcox G11 mount and having to readjust the tilt after each time was enough to make me want a g24 with dovetail j arm. I found one on eBay for a steal with another shroud and lanyard so I went for it. At first I ordered the j arm without the switch to realize that they are shaped different and I couldn’t get the eye relief I was looking for. So I sent it back and got the switched one and I’m happy with it. I love not having to readjust after flipping the goggle up or down. And it also sets me up for the upgrade I’m looking to make to either dual -14s, a bnvd, or a mod3, haven’t made my decision yet.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#37]
We need a high res photo
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:09:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwikvette] [#38]
Originally Posted By VIP3R:

We need a high res photo
View Quote
Next time I'll take one with the Sony A7.

That one was with my crappy cell phone
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#40]

If you're not aware you can get covers that have a (roughly) .223 hole in the middle of them. When you flip them closed it brings everything very close to you in focus. So you set your normal focus to infinity and when you need to see close (in a room for example) you flip them closed and bam, everything is clear. Keep in mind this also restricts light but with new WP sents it shouldn't be a prob.

View Quote
Homebrewed lens cover for close up vision.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Homebrewed lens cover for close up vision.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57642/20160308_202753479_iOS__3_-544098.JPG
View Quote
Perfect!  I think I’m going to order a couple more sets of butler caps to play with hole size. Yours look smaller than mine and I’m interested in seeing the difference.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#42]
Perfect!  I think I'm going to order a couple more sets of butler caps to play with hole size. Yours look smaller than mine and I'm interested in seeing the difference.
View Quote
Think of it as an aperture, (f stop), on a camera lens. The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field.

I started off with a very small hole (think pinhole) and increased the diameter until I got a good balance between depth of field and the gain required to see something without turning the gain all the way up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Think of it as an aperture, (f stop), on a camera lens. The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field.

I started off with a very small hole (think pinhole) and increased the diameter until I got a good balance between depth of field and the gain required to see something without turning the gain all the way up.
View Quote
Pardon if I missed it, but what size butler cap for pvs-14?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:11:42 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Ahhh, mine are quite large (relatively) so I must have less field of view but I have little problem with light gathering.

In fact it must trick the autogating because with my caps on, in very bright conditions, my image will be brighter than with the caps flipped up. Not a huge difference mind you, but noticeable.

I took a 223 casing, heated it up, and burned a hole.  Didn’t have a drill at the time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TATBME:

Pardon if I missed it, but what size butler cap for pvs-14?
View Quote
@TATBME. I used a 09-A cap, a wrap or two of electrical tape, and a 7mm drill for the aperture.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Random helmet pic. Disregard the paper plate, lol.

Attachment Attached File

Just made up a case for them. Needs some holes for some batteries, but other than that I think it's set. Sending them off for the white phosphor treatment atm. Can't wait.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:54:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bullf-16] [#48]
Just shot this guy 2 hrs ago at sunset.  Over 200lbs.  Dropped at 100 yrds 6.8spc 90 gr TNT.  Sc0pe was a Reap-Ir.  Light in the pic is way more than there was at the shot. Brand new Galaxy S9+ really gathers light.  The sun was below the horizon in this shot.  TNVC Sentinels WP ftw.  The REAP IR is pretty sweetAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#49]
What are some reasons people prefer sentinels over mod3s? I’m stuck and am leaning toward the mod3 solely for the ability to play with a friend.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top