Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 6:22:37 PM EDT
With research nearly completed on NVDs, I've come to applications outside of tactical. After all, if one is going to make the not insubstantial investment in a quality night vision system, it may as well be selected with maximum versatility in mind. Thus, a complete package might include an appropriate camera and accessories. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little material on the Internet devoted to this application.

Here on ARFCOM, there have been many such images included in threads, leading me to request feedback from any of you who've used cameras with NVDs or know how it's done. Anyone use a formal setup or know of one you could pass along? Know what should be avoided? Since we're breaking new ground, I'd like this thread to be as informative as possible for anyone else who may think along these lines. Where possible, include URLs when referencing brands and models. My thanks in advance for all help.

What I'm interested in learning is what cameras - video, digital or film photographical still or moving - are best for use with NVDs and what accessories might be required. For the purpose of this conversation, let's assume we're primarily speaking of the MUM.

Criteria to consider are :
image quality/stability
camera value (how prone to malfunction, ease of use, cost of media, etc.)
NVD mount/interface to camera
overall weight
overall bulk
durability
exposure to the elements (rain, snow, submersion)
camera cost
other accessories (IR/visual illuminators, vibration isolation, external power, remote controls, and more)

Potential applications are :
video surveillence (site security, etc.)
night photography (including telephoto use)
entertainment (amateur filming)
remote surveillence/photography (static or in conjunction with an RF transmitter)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top