Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:27:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mbty22] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RoosterX19:
So a few boxes of these showed up today. It's dark and rainy tonight, might be a good chance to see how they work with the Aurora Pro's.

https://i.imgur.com/dCicaa1.jpg
View Quote

link to light sticks please
thank you
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RoosterX19:

Or two Pro's if your really been drinking. Like others and myself have said, best deal is thru guidefitter.
View Quote

What group or classification do you sign up as? I appear not to be any of the ones offered. My status as an RSO at my club is the closest I can get to an instructor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have any firmware update tips? Mine fails to update every single time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#5]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:
Anyone have any firmware update tips? Mine fails to update every single time.
View Quote

fully charged and use oem cable
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, little off topic but purchased the Outry MK adjustable bump helmet off amazon (link was given here).  I did not get any directions in the box of how to place the padding.  I did a google search and all other brands pop up but no joy finding how to put this jigsaw puzzle together.  I can take several stabs at it and might be a personal thing to adapt to different size heads but anyone have a picture or a video of what the end result should look like?  

The only helmet reference I have is a ballistic helmet like the link below and never issued anything newer than 1995 while I was in...more like probably 1970's.  

Botach Armor Source 505 lightweight ballistic helmet
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Hog hunt this weekend.

OG SiOnyx, FandyFire, 6.5 Grendel, Steiner 9007

Warning - An animal dies in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9udPiNLiA
View Quote

What’s awesome about this, is unlike literally every other thermal hunting video I’ve seen, you get the dot on target and pull the trigger instantly. You don’t take ten seconds to get on target, then wander off target because….. your scratching your ass?  Who the fuck knows why.  Then you slowly scan the area. Get on target again. Then scan again. Then stop for a massage. Then get on target again. Then maybe think about pulling the trigger. Then scan the area again. Then, maybe, shoot and miss 99% off the hogs.  Did I mention there is usually at least ten hogs available to shoot?

Every. Single. Time. Lol.  Videos drive me to drink.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:12:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#8]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
Okay, little off topic but purchased the Outry MK adjustable bump helmet off amazon (link was given here).  I did not get any directions in the box of how to place the padding.  
View Quote

Is it this, or like it, padding wise? I just searched Outry Bump on Amazon - put up the link. They had this pic:

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:16:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:07:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#10]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

Is it this, or like it, padding wise? I just searched Outry Bump on Amazon - put up the link. They had this pic:

https://i.imgur.com/7TKGkJx.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Okay, little off topic but purchased the Outry MK adjustable bump helmet off amazon (link was given here).  I did not get any directions in the box of how to place the padding.  

https://i.imgur.com/7TKGkJx.jpg

Amazon link broken...

Here is a picture of the puzzle....

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Those are MTEK pattern pads, look up the PTS Licensed version as well.

Edit: Here (the two trapazoids go at the top):

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]

https://i.imgur.com/FlLoRF8.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/FlLoRF8.jpg

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Hmmm, not sure on all that but the cigar smoke sure looked good! Hope it was a Cuban.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Hmmm, not sure on all that but the cigar smoke sure looked good! Hope it was a Cuban.
Cannot remember what I was having that night. I'm usually always smoking a cigar or two (not at the same time lol) when I hunt at night. Especially when I'm hunting over feeders like this, it gives me something to do and keeps me occupied. Helps prevent me from getting bored.  I don't think the smoke alerts or alarms the pigs. I've killed a bunch while smoking.

In this particular instance, I was looking to the left watching the area around the feeder. They like to come out from over there but I was standing where I was very intentionally because they also come out of the wood where that guy did. I had been looking over around the feeder slowly turned to the right and he's standing right there. Pigs can be really quiet when they want to be. Then it's a matter of getting the stogies stowed safely to get a shot off lol.
Originally Posted By AIWB:

What's awesome about this, is unlike literally every other thermal hunting video I've seen, you get the dot on target and pull the trigger instantly. You don't take ten seconds to get on target, then wander off target because.. your scratching your ass?  Who the fuck knows why.  Then you slowly scan the area. Get on target again. Then scan again. Then stop for a massage. Then get on target again. Then maybe think about pulling the trigger. Then scan the area again. Then, maybe, shoot and miss 99% off the hogs.  Did I mention there is usually at least ten hogs available to shoot?

Every. Single. Time. Lol.  Videos drive me to drink.

I found with a laser, the more I lollygag the worse of a shot I take. Slowly present the laser and once you are on target, focus on your fundamentals and squeeze the trigger. When you really try to hardcore aim the laser starts to dance around and you get fatigued and you end up blowing the shot.

I appreciate your comment
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 11:23:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#14]

Amazon link broken...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476040/61MEutxQ41L__AC_SL1000_-2075449.jpg
View Quote
got a amazon link that works? I am in the market for a bump.

ETA found it. china clone of the china Mtek bump for half the price. interdasting. how is the fit on the shroud?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLOCKshooter] [#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The contract was awarded via a Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) under a 5-year fixed price and according to SIONYX CEO Stephen Saylor, should allow FBI agents to improve the safety of their operations for both agents and the public.

No information on the total contract price or how many units are to be purchased has been released as of writing. This contract comes on the heels of a recent DoD procurement wherein SIONYX was awarded a ~$20M contract by the U.S. Army for their IVAS (Integrated Visual Augmentation System) program.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 11:37:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#17]
I took my newly acquired Pro out late last night for a head to head comparison with my Black. No moon, clear sky no clouds, walking around in the woods close to a lake with houses on the SC/GA line. There were lights on docks but pretty dark otherwise.

Some comments online and videos on YT implied there would be little difference between the models and I was interested in seeing for myself. I made sure the settings were the same on both units and used no IR.

The difference was substantial. So much that I had to make sure the settings were the same. For instance, I was looking at a group of trees with the Sport and it was about 50/50 digital snow with no detail visible. With the Pro there was just a few specks of snow but 99% was resolved dark with perceptible trunk and limb detail.

I highly recommend spending the extra and getting the Pro.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
I took my newly acquired Pro out late last night for a head to head comparison with my Black. No moon, clear sky no clouds, walking around in the woods close to a lake with houses on the SC/GA line. There were lights on docks but pretty dark otherwise.

Some comments online and videos on YT implied there would be little difference between the models and I was interested in seeing for myself. I made sure the settings were the same on both units and used no IR.

The difference was substantial. So much that I had to make sure the settings were the same. For instance, I was looking at a group of trees with the Sport and it was about 50/50 digital snow with no detail visible. With the Pro there was just a few specks of snow but 99% was resolved dark with perceptible trunk and limb detail.

I highly recommend spending the extra and getting the Pro.
View Quote

Cool report. Yeah, substantial is a good word to describe the jump in sensor sensitivity.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:11:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#20]
Originally Posted By TimJ:
@mickdonaldson , thank you!

Signed up, waiting for approval for the discount.

View Quote

Be advised - if you can qualify for Expert Voice (I'm Mil/Vet - but they have other categories), they have it for $750 a pop. It's only $50 diff, but it's out there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#21]
bought a pro to try out. with some decent ambient light and especially with the ir illumination kit it's pretty useable. it's absolutely worthless without if you do not have good ambient light or external illumination though. going to end up returning it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By n2oiroc:
bought a pro to try out. with some decent ambient light and especially with the ir illumination kit it's pretty useable. it's absolutely worthless without if you do not have good ambient light or external illumination though. going to end up returning it.
View Quote

Have the settings correct? Did you expect Gen 3 NV equivalence? Moonless out in the sticks without IR, yeah you're going to be disappointed, but under the nighttime conditions 90% of us live under, location and environmental, it's more than adequate and a good deal for it's price.

Perhaps some more details?
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Have the settings correct? Did you expect Gen 3 NV equivalence? Moonless out in the sticks without IR, yeah you're going to be disappointed, but under the nighttime conditions 90% of us live under, location and environmental, it's more than adequate and a good deal for it's price.

Perhaps some more details?
View Quote

i played with the settings. like you said, out in the sticks with no IR i was disappointed. it was nothing but tv static through a screen door. they advertise it as "moonless starlight night vision" but it needs moonlight or external IR to be useable.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:07:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#24]
Originally Posted By n2oiroc:

i played with the settings. like you said, out in the sticks with no IR i was disappointed. it was nothing but tv static through a screen door. they advertise it as "moonless starlight night vision" but it needs moonlight or external IR to be useable.
View Quote

What Night Level (NL) were you at? This is Moonless Total Cloud Cover (NL4), about 100 miles from the nearest major city (Way better to the eye, vid quality kind of stepped on):

Edit: BTW, here's a cropped NL Chart. If you can't read the field expedient test wording, to determine NL4 or NL5, basically hold your arm out and look at the back of your hand. If you can see it (NL4) the Pro will work fine. If you can't (can only see your arm, but not hand), it's NL5 and the Pro will need help. This is location dependent too: Step from an NL4 field, into thick woods, and it can be NL5.

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:21:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TimJ] [#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

ETA found it. china clone of the china Mtek bump for half the price. interdasting. how is the fit on the shroud?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

Amazon link broken...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476040/61MEutxQ41L__AC_SL1000_-2075449.jpg

Here are a few pics, for around $45 I think its okay, nothing special though (hope this helped):

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#27]
Is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CGT9RLH?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#28]
The outry is a good MTEK clone, good price
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I have had a sport for a while now.  It's not bad but definitely no match for a 14.  I didnt expect it to be so I wasn't let down by the difference.  It's a good product but it did leave me wanting more.  What would I gain if I upgraded to a black or pro?  Are there any good comparisons out there?

Also, what are the best settings for a sport and are there any software upgrades I need to install?

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:16:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#30]
Originally Posted By JTX23:
I have had a sport for a while now.  It's not bad but definitely no match for a 14.  I didnt expect it to be so I wasn't let down by the difference.  It's a good product but it did leave me wanting more.  What would I gain if I upgraded to a black or pro?  Are there any good comparisons out there?

Also, what are the best settings for a sport and are there any software upgrades I need to install?

View Quote

Pro is 25% more performance than before, almost gen 3. 1/3 the price.

Black is the same as the Sport and but recoil rated.

There is a new firmware, which I think helps the Sport. I use black/white in photo mode.

oh and you need an illuminator, buy a 940nm Bestsun or Fandyfire for $20 on amazon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#31]
What would I gain if I upgraded to a black or pro? Are there any good comparisons out there?

View Quote

The Pro is twice as good. As this chart shows, the OG, Black, and Sport were good *unaided* to NL2. The Pro is NL4 all day (night) long - I just posted a video during NL4 conditions a page or two back. Gen3 Analog does NL5.

Expert Voice has the Pro for $750, if you, or someone you know, qualifies. Guidefitter would be second, at $799 IIRC - think you have to qualify for that as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#32]

View Quote

I had the chance to get a Pro at a good price. Compared a Black side by side with the Pro. In two seconds I knew which one I was keeping. As I posted before, I had to check to make sure the settings on the Black were correct. There was that much of a difference.

I'd imagine performance with an IR source would be similar. Passive/no IR? The Pro is MUCH better.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 3:18:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#33]
nevermind
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Will the pro operate in NL5 with the aid of illuminators or does it just pixel out?

Also, whats the consensus on the lag when head mounted?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:41:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#35]
Originally Posted By Horse-Power:
Will the pro operate in NL5 with the aid of illuminators or does it just pixel out?

Also, whats the consensus on the lag when head mounted?
View Quote

With the aid of supplemental IR any of them will do well- it's like shining a flashlight in a dark room. Without IR it will not do well, but honestly in pitch black even Gen3 will struggle because ultimately it's a light amplification device as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#36]

With the aid of supplemental IR any of them will do well- it's like shining a flashlight in a dark room. Without IR it will not do well, but honestly in pitch black even Gen3 will struggle because ultimately it's a light amplification device as well.
View Quote

Thanks for clarifying, I figured that was the case and as much as I dont want something that emits because of "secret squirrel" this setup is looking like a good compromise.

Any input on actually wearing the thing on a helmet? I keep reading about lag and having that make it difficult to navigate/shoot.

I see guys running them that way so Im assuming its people just complaining to complain...
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Im a noob and Im torn on trying the SiOnyx route or going with the ECHO SPEC from JRH.

It seems that when all is said and down, it would be about a $1700 difference and not sure if that gap is big enough to not just go the NV route, given getting like a Wendy helmet for both, etc.

Or would you guys just get an airsoft helmet from Amazon for the SiOnyx to dabble in it to start with?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
Im a noob and Im torn on trying the SiOnyx route or going with the ECHO SPEC from JRH.

It seems that when all is said and down, it would be about a $1700 difference and not sure if that gap is big enough to not just go the NV route, given getting like a Wendy helmet for both, etc.

Or would you guys just get an airsoft helmet from Amazon for the SiOnyx to dabble in it to start with?
View Quote

One huge plus that keeps me looking at the Sionyx is that it's not as likely that I will ruin it with accidentally leaving it on in a lit room or or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks for clarifying, I figured that was the case and as much as I dont want something that emits because of "secret squirrel" this setup is looking like a good compromise.

Any input on actually wearing the thing on a helmet? I keep reading about lag and having that make it difficult to navigate/shoot.

I see guys running them that way so Im assuming its people just complaining to complain...
View Quote

I haven't done any running or gunning with mine, but it's a non issue when you're walking around. It's not a huge lag- I think somewhere in the last 50-75 pages someone posted the actual lag time from the company. It's big enough that you notice it and I wouldn't try driving road speeds with it but it's small enough that you could get away with running or driving a UTV/ATV.

As far as wearing it on a helmet, I'd just tell you to start reading this thread. There are pages and pages of people posting their setups, advice being given, different mounts being debated, etc. I would recommend a mount from kiloohm on Etsy (aka gaspain here on arfcom). I use one of his mounts on a modified Rhino 2 helmet mount.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#40]

View Quote

If you have the money and the extra cost doesn't bite into your other preps I'd go for the Gen3 NV. JRH is a great vendor.

I went the Sionyx Pro route but did go ahead and go full throttle on a TW bump and a ballistic helmet and set them both up the way I wanted.

It's an individual decision that basically comes down to what are you willing to spend. For me, living in a suburban environment outside of a medium city with plenty of ambient light, the advantage of analog wasn't worth the money because 1)I'm not likely to be out in the sticks without ambient light, and 2)the cost was hard to justify as part of my preps.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

As Above, read the thread. I've owned every Sensor model - first the OG and Sport (1st Gen Sensor), then two Pros (2nd Gen), both in Bino configs. I've done it all with them. I know for sure that if you look after July 1st of 2020, my initial Pro videos are there somewhere. And if you look after Nov 14th 2020, there is shooting video from an ARFCOM shoot we do every year. There's also a driving video in a GMC 1500 at about 30mph (but I forget exactly) on dirt roads  somewhere too.

The "lag" is the most overblown thing, at least with the Pro. It's 30ms - that's directly from a Sionyx engineer. You blink 10 times slower. I don't notice it.

You just need to stay at NL4 or brighter if you don't want to use IR - you should be able to go out where you live on a moonless night, acclimate for 15-20 minutes, and see if you can see the back of your hand. If you can, the Pro will work fine. With IR, you could hunt in a cave.

I now own BNVD-SGs with Elbit SL(H) Tubes. Yes, Analog Gen 3 is the Cat's ass - but you pay. I still will never sell my Pros, because for the money - they are damn good for what they can do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Again, as above! If you can afford Gen 3 without missing a mortgage payment, get it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#43]
The "lag" is the most overblown thing, at least with the Pro. It's 30ms - that's directly from a Sionyx engineer. You blink 10 times slower. I don't notice it.
View All Quotes

The only way I can describe the lag is if you were to look through a single Sionyx with both eyes open and wave your hand rapidly, you'd see I kind of ghost image or a small smear of your hand motion.

I now own BNVD-SGs with Elbit SL(H) Tubes. Yes, Analog Gen 3 is the Cat's ass - but you pay. I still will never sell my Pros, because for the money - they are damn good for what they can do.

I think that's what makes the Sionyx a good choice- value, i.e., what you get for what you spend. It's not Gen 3 analog which most people can't afford, and it's not cheap junk which is expensive for what you get- crap.

If it wasn't for the Sionyx, I wouldn't have NV.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#44]

If you have the money and the extra cost doesn't bite into your other preps I'd go for the Gen3 NV. JRH is a great vendor.

I went the Sionyx Pro route but did go ahead and go full throttle on a TW bump and a ballistic helmet and set them both up the way I wanted.

It's an individual decision that basically comes down to what are you willing to spend. For me, living in a suburban environment outside of a medium city with plenty of ambient light, the advantage of analog wasn't worth the money because 1)I'm not likely to be out in the sticks without ambient light, and 2)the cost was hard to justify as part of my preps.
View Quote

This is my situation too, which has me on fence.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#45]

This is my situation too, which has me on fence.
View Quote

If you can afford Gen 3, go for it. It'll get pretty dark in the suburbs of the lights go out.

For me, I couldn't swing spending +/-$3k without it putting a serious dent in my other preps (which are much higher in priority), so I went the Sionyx route.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks to both of you for your replies guys.

Answered both of my questions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#47]

The only way I can describe the lag is if you were to look through a single Sionyx with both eyes open and wave your hand rapidly, you'd see I kind of ghost image or a small smear of your hand motion.

I think that's what makes the Sionyx a good choice- value, i.e., what you get for what you spend. It's not Gen 3 analog which most people can't afford, and it's not cheap junk which is expensive for what you get- crap.

If it wasn't for the Sionyx, I wouldn't have NV.
View Quote

Yea, I've obviously done all the "tests" (probably invented some, LOL). The "lag" on the Pro is internet commando, Walter Mitty, nit-picking stuff - to me anyway. Can you tell a difference between a 14 on one eye, and a Pro on the other? - of course. Does it 'Real World' matter? - not to me anyway, but people are different. Same here - if I had a regular 9 to 5, I don't know that I would have sprung for even a $3K 14, much less an $8K BNVD - with the Pro out there for $750.

**Note: Even though there is absolutely NO mention by Sionyx, of the Pro having better response time (less "lag") - it does. I even bring it up in one of my Pro test vids. It's either the new Sensor, or a change in the EVF LCD, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Re: the lag. Long enough to notice if you're looking for it, short enough it doesn't matter in real world use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#49]
While it isn't LAG, I do get some LCD smear as I pan my sport across a background.

Sionyx is a great low-light camera that people adapted to use as night vision.  It works really well in situato where you don't care about being an IR emitter.

It's main advantage is it isn't going to ruin your NVG is you leave it on or look at a bright light.  

It is also good for travel and doesn't have any export restrictions for overseas.

You can use it with a standard PVS J-Arm, but it will only go over one eye (I think it was left) and will be close to a 45 degree angle do you are seeing a crooked screen.  You can still shoot and move, but it's weird.

I was a bargain at the $350 intro price.

It doesn't come close to my PVS-7.

If they could come out with a PRO, in a ruggedized PVS-14 format (or close), that could use standard night vision mounts, I would be very interested.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:23:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#50]
Somebody needs to come out with one of these. Maybe if they get more popular.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top