Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 5:00:02 AM EDT
A friend of mine asked me to look into this for him as he knows I have NFA items. I did some looking here and elsewhere and found some info, but not anything like his exact current situation.

His grandma passed away recently and she had all her husband’s(grandpa’s)firearms still in her possession. Grandpa died about 2 years ago. The problem is grandpa had 2 AOWs registered to him as an individual not on a trust. From what I am reading those should have been transferred to her when he died, but they weren’t. Is it too late to do a Form 5 transfer to him?
Another issue is the executor for grandpa was my friend’s uncle who is a prohibited person. The executor for his grandma is his dad who is not. My friend is a good guy and I don’t want to see him get jammed up over this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Update 1/18/21:
So my friend’s dad did some more looking and found paperwork for the 2 AOWs with grandma’s name on them. So it looks like she did transfer them into her name after her husband passed a couple years ago. Now they just have to do the paperwork to transfer them to my friend. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
His grandma passed away recently.....
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometime things just disappear.
Like a letter going through the post office. No one knows how it happens..
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#5]
My suggestion is to contact Bob Naess at Black River Militaria in Vermont and outline the situation to him.  He has been active in the NFA world since the 50s and has extensive experience with situations like this.  He's also a hell of a nice guy who can probably advise you well.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Update 1/18/21:
So my friend’s dad did some more looking and found paperwork for the 2 AOWs with grandma’s name on them. So it looks like she did transfer them into her name after her husband passed a couple years ago. Now they just have to do the paperwork to transfer them to my friend. Thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top