Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2020 8:56:39 PM EDT
How did that go down? Would like details if you're willing to give them :)
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Closest I've come to that was an old fart at a match in Tulsa asked me if my M16 was legal and could I prove it. He was real obnoxious about it. He found out that he could be placed in his Buick with encouragement and was told his membership had been terminated.

The only ATF agent I've ever met was at FLETC when I was in the Border Patrol academy.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
gun range a couple times, just showed a couple PDF's on my phone...no issue at all.  Most just ask about wait times.

didn't even really look at them, just didn't want anything illegal shot at their range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

eta: Never been asked for them. It's a pain in the ass to have to carry the binder when I go shooting.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Local commercial indoor shooting range requires that you show NFA applicable forms with guns.  They stopped asking after the first month.

18Z50
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a suppressor on my sr15 and the agent was like show me the gun!  It looks cool.  Finger fucked the guns amd asked how I liked the can because he wanted one.  He didn't care.  I think he figured that people were not making really accurate fake surefire cans.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve only been to one range that wanted to see copies of my stamps. I already made the drive so I obliged but I won’t be going back.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve only been to one range that wanted to see copies of my stamps. I already made the drive so I obliged but I won’t be going back.
View Quote

X2.
Same here, and I too won't be going back to that place.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

X2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2.

This also happened to me. The only time anyone has ever asked was some yahoo at the counter after I took my rifle out of the case (they have to know how many guns are being shot) he asked me if it was an SBR, and I said yes, then he asked to see my tax stamp for it. Not going back.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a state range employee ask me once and then proceeded to tell me I had to keep originals with me. I told him I didn’t and legally I didn’t have to show him anything. He never asked again and neither has anyone else. No one really cares anywhere I go shoot and chances are I’m hauling half a dozen or more NFA items with me, so I don’t look like some dude with an illegal SBR or SBS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
No one has ever asked to see paperwork on my NFA toys. I'm prone to have one along at 2A-type rallies and such as a conversation starter and to smoke out the liberals. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

I have shown my papers (PDF on phone) to several people as part of a how-to conversation. As in, 'after you jump through the hoops and wait, you get this back from ATF, then...'
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Never. I've had plenty of people ask if they can shoot one of the rifles with a can on it, but it's always been in the spirit of "hey man that's cool, mind if I handle it a bit?"

I really don't stress over it and have PDFs of the approved forms on my phone if need be.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually the only entity that you need to show your papers to is the ATF, if asked.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-possessor-nfa-firearm-have-show-proof-registration
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#14]
The only time I was asked was my a
Tillamook County sheriff's deputy.

His name is Jackson.

He accused me of being an assassin with my ar15 RR and cans.

He called it in and despite showing him my papers he proceeded to make fun of my name and also disparaged my FFLs name..
Tornado Technologies out of Hillsboro.

Deputy Jackson is a dipshit and asshole.

I filed a report with Tillamook sheriffs.
A lot of good that did.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Way back in the 80s, there were ads in The Shotgun News for complete kits to build a Sionics-style silencer for the MAC M-10.  These kits came with everything needed except the tubes.  As you leafed through the paper, you would notice an ad a couple of pages further on that offered a set of tubes for the Sionics-type can and by odd coincidence, the address for the company offering the tubes was right next-door to the company offering the kits.  (This is why there is federal law on the books making each silencer part the legal equivalent of a whole silencer, by the way.)

So I placed two orders and both the kit and the tubes eventually arrived.  I also filed my first Form 1 and waited for the approval to get back to me.  While I was waiting, I kept the tubes in my locker at work and the kit at home, and I farted around with the parts, got an upgrade kit from Doc Dater to eliminate the wipes in the end cap and replace the spiral diffusers with baffles and spacers.  Finally the Form 1 arrived and I eventually got around to getting the serial number stamped on one of the tubes and doing the final assembly, torquing everything together firmly.  By this time, months had passed

That very afternoon, the doorbell rings and I find a polite ATF agent on my doorstep.  I invite him in (It was a simpler time back then.) and he explains that ATF had raided a company in Georgia that was selling silencer kits and they found my order in their records.  He asked if I had assembled the parts into an actual silencer and his eyes lit up when I admitted that I had.  The light was quickly extinguished, however, when I continued by saying that I filed a Form 1 prior to doing so.  I showed him the Form 1, showed him the can with the matching serial number on it, he sighed and said "Well, this is the shortest investigation I have ever done." and he departed.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I later heard that of all the people who bought those silencer kits, only four or five people had done the right thing and filed the Form 1.  Closest I have ever come to being in an elite group, LOL.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Some RO or someone at a range asked once but I never produced docs
I don’t even carry copies/PDFs
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Never by a cop or BATFE agent.
What a Batfe agent would be doing out in Bumfuque would be the weird part.
I used to call the local Police dept before shooting and they would enthusiastically ask what was being shot but never showed up.
I was also told that the quickest way to get a visit by the local Gendarmes was to blast off a few mags in full auto without notifying them.
Not true.
The times that I have fired without calling in nothing happened.

I have been asked and provided copies of weapons at my local gun range that allows full auto.
I dont mind. Its a blessing that they allow it in the first place as most dont.
In fact I'll pull out my travel "catalog" of tax stamps and sift through them until finding the right ones for the day.
Usually a jaw dropping moment.
Showing off and stuff
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#19]
whenever range people ask to see papers I ask them to see their W2 or pay stubs. If I'm sharing tax documents with strangers I expect them to do the same.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Was leaving the Indoor range last month and laid my Sp5k SBR on the counter. Gentleman walked up and ask if he may look, which I said sure. He stated he was an ATF agent and missed his issued MP5. We talked for a bit about it being his favorite. Went on to talk about an issue I’m having with a suppressor repair also. He was really nice, he never asked for my info or stamp.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I have had a deputy ask a couple of times at various private ranges. In Georgia your paperwork is proof that you are not in violation of state law.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This too. I doubt the counter guys even knew what they were looking at.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
whenever range people ask to see papers I ask them to see their W2 or pay stubs. If I'm sharing tax documents with strangers I expect them to do the same.
View Quote

Seriously asking here. How does that usually go? I know you don't HAVE to show papers to a private range employee but they also don't have to allow you to shoot there.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seriously asking here. How does that usually go? I know you don't HAVE to show papers to a private range employee but they also don't have to allow you to shoot there.

View Quote

So far I’ve only gotten shit from other shooters.  Range people seem to understand if you say something correct about the process. Oh yeah I e filed that form 1 and it took like 3 weeks. They know I’m not some random ass hole.

It’s old guys who say “that’s not legal, you can’t do that, blah blah.”  I honestly try and actually inform about the process and teach them if they are open to it. Let them shoot it, etc.

I had some random old dude at a range when I was just starting out and he let me shoot an AK shorty and some cool can. That was 15 years ago and it started me on the NFA pathway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So far I’ve only gotten shit from other shooters.  Range people seem to understand if you say something correct about the process. Oh yeah I e filed that form 1 and it took like 3 weeks. They know I’m not some random ass hole.

It’s old guys who say “that’s not legal, you can’t do that, blah blah.”  I honestly try and actually inform about the process and teach them if they are open to it. Let them shoot it, etc.

I had some random old dude at a range when I was just starting out and he let me shoot an AK shorty and some cool can. That was 15 years ago and it started me on the NFA pathway.
View Quote

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#28]
No, but I have gotten to shoot a bunch of random guns at my club when I ask people who are staring at it/listening to it if they want to shoot a suppressed firearm.  Shooting without earpro is apparently mind blowing in the summer for a lot of folks.  Probably the most enjoyable gun I shot after offering a gawker to shoot mine was some fancy HK pistol; lessoned learned: HK makes nice handguns.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Never asked for the form.

I've had cops ask about the NFA process and stuff because they were gun guys.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last range I was at "do you have papers for that?", me; "yes", them, "Can I see them", me "nope", nothing else said - it was odd
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#31]
One range I go to sometimes asks to see them before you enter, I wish they wouldn't but it's not a big deal. Never had a RO ask there, just the front office ppl.

The range I go to most never asks.
I asked them once if the ever looked at them " nope, if someone gets busted it's on them "
I have had two Leos there ask to look at my stuff ( not the stamps, just the eye candy ) several years ago. Asking how would one go about getting NFA stuff etc. Both have become stamp collectors now too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I have never been asked to show a tax stamp, and never been asked for any CCW permit.  Been carrying longer than...well, been carrying full sized pistols for a very long time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Was at an outdoor range with my kids and an atf agent walked up (showed me his badge) with his father.  His father saw us shooting with sbrs and suppressors and thought they were illegal so he walked his father over and I let his father shoot a few things.  The atf guy never asked to see my stamps.  I even let his father do a suppressed mag dump.  ATF guy gave me ammo for everything his father shot.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How did that go down? Would like details if you're willing to give them :)
View Quote

You're new at this, aren't you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#35]
never. but i dont go to rules up me ass clubs
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Just once by a local LEO.  I was shooting my m11/nine and he asked if it was full auto.  I told him yes.  He asked how you can go about getting one and I explained the process and showed him my paperwork.  He was a nice guy so I didn’t want to be an ass to him about asking.  I’m sure those that have no idea the process are going to be the majority of the ones asking.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#37]
closest interaction with an LE over the course of 30 years was a county sheriff that rolled up to a shooting spot because some kids where lighting off pipe bombs and someone called. the kids left but sheriff came over to me as i was shooting my full auto mini-uzi.

he didnt care one bit, he just wanted to know about the lil'bomb makers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#38]
i tend not to shoot at places or with people that would draw that kind of attention
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Was at an outdoor range with my kids and an atf agent walked up (showed me his badge) with his father.  His father saw us shooting with sbrs and suppressors and thought they were illegal so he walked his father over and I let his father shoot a few things.  The atf guy never asked to see my stamps.  I even let his father do a suppressed mag dump.  ATF guy gave me ammo for everything his father shot.
View Quote
Seems like a nice guy, but any LEO flashing a badge is a surefire way to get me non-cooperative.  That goes extra for ATF.  I'll be perfectly polite but I'm not inviting them to shoot, touch or look at anything.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i tend not to shoot at places or with people that would draw that kind of attention
View Quote
Problem being one doesn't necessarily know where that is, unless you already shoot there often.

I went with a girlfriend's family one year to visit relatives around Thanksgiving. They have a nice ranch out in the country. Only one neighbor and he had a property line not far from the house. At her father's request I brought along an RPD, M60E3, and a MK18. "He shoots too. Won't be any problem," grandma says.

So we're out in one of the fields shooting away from neighbor's place into a berm, facing another one of grandma's empty fields, and neighbor guy "who likes guns too and owns a bunch" (his own words) came over onto her land to see what we were shooting, was offered to shoot with us, declines, then goes home and call's the sheriff's office on us (presumably for shooting MGs). We finished up just before deputies arrived, and they apparently decided not to drive around back and make contact with us, so all that happened was we learned who the A-hole neighbor was.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Technically my club says you need to be able to prove your stamps if an RSO or Range Governor asks.

In reality never had it happen, and most people are cool with "scary stuff". There are some old fudds who wrinkle their noses but screwem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Technically my club says you need to be able to prove your stamps if an RSO or Range Governor asks.

In reality never had it happen, and most people are cool with "scary stuff". There are some old fudds who wrinkle their noses but screwem.
View Quote

Your post made me wonder about the club here.  Just went through the orientation and rules, and there isn't anything mentioned in our club rules.  Some people have miniature copies in their billfolds or keep a photo on their phones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Seems like a nice guy, but any LEO flashing a badge is a surefire way to get me non-cooperative.  That goes extra for ATF.  I'll be perfectly polite but I'm not inviting them to shoot, touch or look at anything.
View Quote

Wasn't too worried.  Pretty sure he already figured out I was a cop since my car was the only one there and I have FOP plates.

We're not all assholes.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I was asked by a RSO once and I replied by asking if he would like to see my hairy balls.

He didn't like that, I had some words back and forth and reminded him that I was paying to shoot and not listen to his nonsense.  I also stated that I needed to see his qualifications, certifications, and training documents proving that he is able to read and understand what is stated stated on a tax stamp.  I also asked him to provide legal documents and a signed contract requiring me to show my tax stamps.  

He didn't like that as well and after an exchange of some rather colorful analogies, I replied back stating that, "you should be focused on keeping range safe rather than worrying about a document you likely couldn't read to begin with, given that people have lost their lives at this range."

I was promptly asked to leave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top