Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 5:41:46 PM EDT
I posted this in my home town forum also.  I have 2 transfers pending with a class 3 dealer who I just learned has filed Chapter 13.  I know that he has the stamp on one item, and may have the stamp on the other as I submitted the paperwork to BATFE around 70 days ago.

I have done business with this gentleman before and I really believe he is a good guy who somehow ran into personal / professional problems.  In other words, I can't believe he would be trying to screw anyone over.  Can anyone tell me what is likely to happen here.

I have his attorney's number and will be contacting him in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
More info please.

Are these both Form 4s?  Do you have the serial numbers?  Did you circle the YES on the form that allows you to call and check the status?  Does the business have a brick mortar location.  Is it still open or is it padlocked?  Did you buy the items from the dealer or is he just transferring them for you?

That will do for a start.  Just Sayin!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
2 separate items, both form 4.  I have serial numbers - he has both items.  He had  been running the business out of his home but I am told that he now operates out of a storage facility.  I did circle the I DO to allow me to check status with ATF.  I will be calling them tomorrow.

He does not owe me money, just the items that I paid for that he has.  Other creditors can't somehow get ahead of me and take my stuff, can they?  

I have never had anything like this happen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I posted this in my home town forum also.  I have 2 transfers pending with a class 3 dealer who I just learned has filed Chapter 13.  I know that he has the stamp on one item, and may have the stamp on the other as I submitted the paperwork to BATFE around 70 days ago.

I have done business with this gentleman before and I really believe he is a good guy who somehow ran into personal / professional problems.  In other words, I can't believe he would be trying to screw anyone over.  Can anyone tell me what is likely to happen here.

I have his attorney's number and will be contacting him in the morning.

Are they paid for?

If you are so sure he has the stamp, what are you waiting for? Go get your stuff.

If not paid for you could be SOL.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
2 separate items, both form 4.  I have serial numbers - he has both items.  He had  been running the business out of his home but I am told that he now operates out of a storage facility.  I did circle the I DO to allow me to check status with ATF.  I will be calling them tomorrow.

He does not owe me money, just the items that I paid for that he has.  Other creditors can't somehow get ahead of me and take my stuff, can they?  

I have never had anything like this happen.

Call Martinsburg, verify the status and then start calling and knockin on his door.  If they are paid in full, then they are yours, he is just storing them for you, but go get them to avoid any confusion.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
There are some really strange bankruptcy laws.....good luck
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I was pretty shocked to see the thread on SilencerTalk about Chuck.  I've done quite a few transfers through him, and he was always a good guy.

I hope everyone is able to get the stuff they've paid for.  I would make sure to contact his attorney as referenced in the ST thread, and if your transfer has been approved, I'd start watching his storage facility to try and catch him there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I hope a lot of people don't find out about a storage unit full of NFA stuff, could be bad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Damn, I hope a lot of people don't find out about a storage unit full of NFA stuff, could be bad.

He has a pretty substantial safe.  I doubt he just has random NFA items sitting about in a storage facility not secured.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Chuck did indeed move his business out of his home to a storage unit.  However, he doesnt just have a bunch of guns and NFA stuff sitting in a standard rental storage unit with a $5 padlock on it.

While the actual business moved to a storage unit facility, this particular storage facility has a small number (maybe 6 to 8) retail storefronts for rent in the front of the building.  Pretty much identical to any other "strip mall" type storefront except that each retail space is smaller than normal, probably 20ft by 30ft.  This is where Chuck moved and his safe is inside the retail storefront space.  There are also security cameras all over the facility.  So I can give you pretty good confidence that if you have something with him... it may be stuck in bankruptcy limbo (which obviously isnt good) but it is at least secured.  I know since I have been by there at least three times in the past couple months and his big LIberty safe is over in the corner of the "storage unit" space.

Not trying to defend the lack of communication with his customers recently, the decision to go into bankruptcy, etc.  However, I can give anyone at least a reasonable level of assurance that your stuff is locked up.

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Found on subguns.com NFA board:

Chuck's Class 3

Posted By: Jess J <[email protected]>
Date: 9/15/10 08:56

To whom it may concern regarding business with “Charlton F. Tooke” d.b.a. “Chuck’s Class 3”

I have proudly tried to serve the NFA firearms community since going into business in 2000. Up until recently I have done so with nothing but compliments from customers, many of which have become good
friends over the years.

Due to events beyond my control in my personal and professional life, I will no longer be able to do so.

All I have to offer is my sincere apologies to anyone receiving this notice. None of the recent downfalls
in my life were planned, and I certainly did not wish it to affect anyone doing business with me.

Anyone with any unfinished business with me can contact my lawyer.

Michael Baumer
7600 Burnet Rd, Suite 530
Austin, TX 78757
512-476-8707

I have entered into Chapter 13 bankruptcy protection. Even though I more than qualified for Chapter 7, and
could “walk away” I have elected to go the 13 route. Everyone who is owed any monies from me will be paid 100%

I am truly sorry that things have led to this.

Charlton F. Tooke
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Sound like a pretty stand up guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top