Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 12:59:55 PM EDT
What if I buy/own a weapon that came with an M16 (style) BCG, is that a violation of NFA?

I'm not supposed to have M16 internal parts with an AR15 but even the new Colt 6940 (well pictured by an arfcomer on another thread) comes with that M16 style BCG...
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe first in to say kicking a dead horse, you are good to go and it is not illegal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, but didn't I read (on an NFA post) about the ATF saying, in a letter, that BCG's, triggers, selector pins, hammers from M16's would be considered 'Constructive Intent'???
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sorry, but didn't I read (on an NFA post) about the ATF saying, in a letter, that BCG's, triggers, selector pins, hammers from M16's would be considered 'Constructive Intent'???

It is well known that if you ONLY have the BCG you are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What if I buy/own a weapon that came with an M16 (style) BCG, is that a violation of NFA?

I'm not supposed to have M16 internal parts with an AR15 but even the new Colt 6940 (we pictured by an arfcomer on another thread) comes with that M16 style BCG...

Q:  Will a BCG in itself make your rifle fire more than one round per single function of the trigger?
A: NOPE!

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, you'll be fine. The ATF told colt they were GTG shipping rifles with full auto bolts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Q:  Did ATF state that M-16 bolt carriers and other fire control parts should NOT be used in the assembly of AR-15 semi-automatic rifles?
A:  Yes.

Q:  Did ATF state that M-16 bolt carriers are legal to use in AR15 semi-automatic rifles?
A:  Yes, as long as the addition of the M-16 bolt carrier does not cause the rifle to fire "automatically, more than one shot per trigger pull.

Q:  Did ATF tell Colt is was "okay" to use M-16 bolt carriers in AR-15 semi-automatic rifles?
A:  No, they told Colt that as long as the use of an M-16 bolt carrier did not cause their rifles to fire "automatically, more than one shot per trigger pull", it was okay to use the M-16 carrier.  

Q:  Will the use of an M-16 carrier in an AR-15 cause the rifle to fire automatically?
A:  Not by itself, however, using an established ATF test procedure the rifle will fire more than one shot per trigger pull when an M-16 carrier is used.  The only way this can happen is if a "shrouded" bolt carrier is used, as is the design of the M-16 carrier.  The rifle will not fire automatically in this ATF test if an AR-15 SP1 style carrier and hammer are used in the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Q:  Did ATF state that M-16 bolt carriers and other fire control parts should NOT be used in the assembly of AR-15 semi-automatic rifles?
A:  Yes.

Q:  Did ATF state that M-16 bolt carriers are legal to use in AR15 semi-automatic rifles?
A:  Yes, as long as the addition of the M-16 bolt carrier does not cause the rifle to fire "automatically, more than one shot per trigger pull.

Q:  Did ATF tell Colt is was "okay" to use M-16 bolt carriers in AR-15 semi-automatic rifles?
A:  No, they told Colt that as long as the use of an M-16 bolt carrier did not cause their rifles to fire "automatically, more than one shot per trigger pull", it was okay to use the M-16 carrier.  

Q:  Will the use of an M-16 carrier in an AR-15 cause the rifle to fire automatically?
A:  Not by itself, however, using an established ATF test procedure the rifle will fire more than one shot per trigger pull when an M-16 carrier is used.  The only way this can happen is if a "shrouded" bolt carrier is used, as is the design of the M-16 carrier.  The rifle will not fire automatically in this ATF test if an AR-15 SP1 style carrier and hammer are used in the rifle.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#8]
i allways thought that if you have a receiver with a hole in it for a sear then it's illegal because that's what makes the fun FA.  you can have all the other FA parts but with out the sear installed it won't do anything other than semi.  right?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
So:

M16 style BCG = okay
Any and all M16 FCG parts = no way (or, one way...prison)?

I can possess M16 FCG's with a RDIAS in my lower or with my RDIAS out of a lower with only one 'matched' set of M16 FCG parts. If whenever those M16 FCG parts are in a rifle the DIAS is in there, as well.

Can't have two FCG's and one RDIAS.

Correct?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The M16 bolt carrier thread comes up almost as often as 870 vs 500 threads, why does the ATF have to be so conflicting in their letters, why can't all the examiners agree on their rulings?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So:

M16 style BCG = okay
Any and all M16 FCG parts = no way (or, one way...prison)?

I can possess M16 FCG's with a RDIAS in my lower or with my RDIAS out of a lower with only one 'matched' set of M16 FCG parts. If whenever those M16 FCG parts are in a rifle the DIAS is in there, as well.

Can't have two FCG's and one RDIAS.

Correct?

Correct.

If you own one AR15 host and an RDIAS, you can own as many FA FCGs are you want.

If you own more than one AR15 host and an RDIAS, you can only own one FA FCG.

Even for the government, this is bewildering...How can you keep track of it all?   arfcom is the answer: What's the question?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top