Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:49:54 PM EDT
I did a Form 1 in Jan of this year and it took 5wks door to door.  I sent 3 more on May 23...and they aren't even in the computer yet (as of 4:55pm on 7/16/08).

What gives?

...I was really hoping to take the goodies camping in 2 weeks because my girlfriends dad has never shot a gun that isn't made with wood.  I thought I'd show him something different.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Their work load has increased dramaticly recently, there is some type of election going on. People are freaking out sending in everything they can to get them approved as fast as they can. Now the desk tops are getting lonley, no feet to comfort them.

Really, I was told they are having something like a 1000% increase in forms submitted. Thats quite a bit. It has pushed everything back 2 to 3 months. If George gives out more of our money expect 6 month delays. I know if I got more stimulation by the Government I would stamp some more guns.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I said this in another thread, but what I see happening is a large volume of MG transfers.  I think it's fueled by the drop in MG prices as well as panic buying due to the election.  MG prices have gone down recently, and I really do believe it's because people were living beyond their means and suddenly are unable to afford it due to various economic factors.  It's really a good time to buy a MG, unless you're one of those guys who believe Hughes is going to get struck down within a couple years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Are the Form1s and Form4s handled by separate pools of examiners, or is the processing of all forms backlogged?

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
It might also have something to do with Ken Houchens being promoted out of NFA Branch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are the Form1s and Form4s handled by separate pools of examiners, or is the processing of all forms backlogged?

Kharn

It's the same set of examiners.  Some say it stands to reason that a Form 1 would take slightly longer due to the item not being in the registry already, but I don't know if there is enough work required to enter it that it'd have a measurable impact on turnaround time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the "Workload" excuse is bogus. IMO, the good folks in my home sate of WV, realized that their job is a Gov one, and they don't have to work hard to keep it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The up coming election, people thing there will be another ban, and did I MENTION A UP COMING ELECTION!!!!!!

ETA I am sorry I didn't send you the memo
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think the "Workload" excuse is bogus. IMO, the good folks in my home sate of WV, realized that their job is a Gov one, and they don't have to work hard to keep it.

Why would they be doing 2-3 week approvals less than a year ago if it was due to laziness?

I really do think they are overworked and understaffed at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they be doing 2-3 week approvals less than a year ago if it was due to laziness?

I really do think they are overworked and understaffed at the moment.

Cause a year ago they were new at it, and they had a new director, now I here the old drector from Washington is in charge in WV. I'm sorry, I still do not buy into the notion that in a years time, they have that many more xfers going thru there.. I am really doubting NFA sales grew that much in a 12 month period. Did I mention gas is now a dolalr more a gallon as well..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
If the ATF works like the other government employees I know, then they take their sweet time to finish a single task working up to lunch gone for an hour come back work until 30 minutes before quiting time scurry their butts out the office door and leave.  They get paid whether they work or sit on the pot   Ima smart-a$$
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
There are alot of dealers giving up the status as class 3 dealers and they have been swamped with transfers. Transfers go to data entry first and I was told the other day that data entry is 2-3 weeks backlogged.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are alot of dealers giving up the status as class 3 dealers and they have been swamped with transfers. Transfers go to data entry first and I was told the other day that data entry is 2-3 weeks backlogged.

what does this have to due with form 4's?  And where did you get the info that SOTs are getting out???
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Dealers give up these all the time starting in May the NFA gets busy. It creates a problem for the form 4 transfers because they all go through the same data entry point. All form 3 and 5 transfers take priority over form 1 and 4 applications.
Some dealers just figure that the 500 dollars a year is not worth it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
i just sent in my address change form and got it back in 1 week
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Well said Tony, they are way overworked and being a Government employee I know they are underpaid.

Their work load has increased 1000% period.... My team just ordered 50 flash bangs and 10 new MG's. Sorry were adding to the process with 10 new SRT cans next week.

Now add in all the forms sent in from the civilian side plus law enforcement and you have a huge mess. Here is the flip side, I own several NFA items and I would rather ATF be slow and deliberate than fast and slopy. Im not sure if they made a mistake how it would go down. Would the guy in the field think you were lying or try to check it out before declaring your paperwork fake/invalid?

Just think everytime you call and bug the hell out of them your slowing the process that much more, seconds = minutes = days = weeks = months. How many people are calling every day to "CHECK" their progress. Again 8 people working 8 hours a day processing hundreds of thousands of forms.

Thanks for the rant Tony, hopefully it will make people understand a bit more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
todays idea of slow is nothing compared to back in the day....

be happy, let them do thier work....

why the two signatures lately at the bottom of the Form ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
i have no problems with them. two months is no big deal.

im happy they sign them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Just for the record, I'm not constantly calling them just because I'm an impatient douchebag, which I admittedly am.

I have 3 forms out, and forgot to write "United States" on the citizenship forms.  I was hoping to find out which examiner had my stuff so I could mail or fax a new one, or possibly amend it by verbal confirmation (LONG shot).

Also, I have only called twice over the past 5 weeks.

While I'm at it, are dashes ("-") important when conveying to them your serial number?  I used dashes on the forms, but don't know if they go into the comp, or are required for searching.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure that the "stellar relationship" between the BATFE and the FBI have NOTHING to do with the wait times on getting the background checks done either....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know the turnaround for a dealer to dealer?  I would think it would be faster than dealer to private party but this is only my second machine gun and its coming from a dealer to my dealer then I have the 2 month wait....just trying to get an idea when I will take possesion.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I have heard some 3 are still only 3 or 4 weeks and some are 2 months.
But then I was told there are no assigned (A-F, G-K, ect.) examiners anymore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Just think everytime you call and bug the hell out of them your slowing the process that much more, seconds = minutes = days = weeks = months. How many people are calling every day to "CHECK" their progress. Again 8 people working 8 hours a day processing hundreds of thousands of forms.

I was told ATF hired a few folks to stricly answer the phones and check status, so calling them does not slow anything down. Now if you call and ask to speak to your examiner, then I could see how that would slow things up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Does anyone know the turnaround for a dealer to dealer?  I would think it would be faster than dealer to private party but this is only my second machine gun and its coming from a dealer to my dealer then I have the 2 month wait....just trying to get an idea when I will take possesion.

I've had some form 3s take 3-4 weeks recently.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was told ATF hired a few folks to stricly answer the phones and check status, so calling them does not slow anything down. Now if you call and ask to speak to your examiner, then I could see how that would slow things up.

Yes, this is one of those points that's incorrect and tiresome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top