Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2008 8:47:44 AM EDT
Gents

I've pondered a suppressor or Class III (Glock 18C) purchase for some time now but it seems my AD military status might pose a problem with respect to moving around every 2-3 years. Aside from living in a state that allows these weapons/items, and not moving overseas, is there anyone here who is Mil and found a decent way around this??? I'm moving to florida soon and would like to pick up a class III but I know I'll move from the state in 2-4 years. Is there a clause, forming of LLC, or other loophole where I could store the weapon in state if I move overseas or PCS to a state that doesn't allow the weapons?? Ironic that this is such an issue for those that serve.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Tango.

Bravo
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You want to pick up a Class III FFL?

Do you want to be a dealer in NFA weapons?
- NFA weapon = MG/SBR/SBS/suppressor/AOW/DD
- Class III = FFL to deal in NFA weapons

There are no transferrable Glock 18C's .... only post-samples .............

You should be able to solve your problem by forming a trust/corporation in your home state (assuming it is NFA friendly - Ohio is) with you and say your father or another trusted sibling as a fellow officer(s) and just transfer your NFA weapons into it ..... I don't know about moving it later, maybe someone else will chime in ....

"Ironic that this is such an issue for those that serve" - IMO, when it comes to NFA, there should be no entitlement - the rules should be the same for all (civilian/MIL/LE) ..... no exceptions - what's good for one is good for all ..........
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Just to ensure my original post is clear...I'm not looking to get a Class III license...I'm just looking to purchse a class III/NAF weapon/can.

For "drfColt", I'm not insinuating that I should have more rights to NFA weapons as an AD mil member than others. I'm just stating that IT IS IN FACT more difficult for a mil member to own these items due to constant FORCED moves.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll admit I'm not 100% sure.

But you can leave your NFA item in a safety deposit box while you are living in another state?

Average cost for a large Safety Deposit box is about 100 bucks a year.

You'll just want to leave the military and live in a NFA friendly state so you can play with them later in life.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just to ensure my original post is clear...I'm not looking to get a Class III license...I'm just looking to purchse a class III/NAF weapon/can.

For "drfColt", I'm not insinuating that I should have more rights to NFA weapons as an AD mil member than others. I'm just stating that IT IS IN FACT more difficult for a mil member to own these items due to constant FORCED moves.

I see your point and apologize .....

If you go the individual transfer route - make sure your local CLEO will sign the NFA forms - if not you will be forced to go trust/corp ......
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you could also keep them in a safe at another persons home ie parent, so long as they did not have access to them.  So buy a fireproof lock box and put the silencers/ receivers in there, which is inside of the safe.  Of course this will only work if you have someone that is around in a friendly state.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you go the individual transfer route - make sure your local CLEO will sign the NFA forms - if not you will be forced to go trust/corp ......

Actually, you WANT to go the Trust route.  Its faster, AND less likely to get denied. Why anyone still does the CLEO is beyond me.  Its just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What are you talking about- just fill out a 5320 every 3 years.

I move with my stuff, not hard.

Whats more difficult? Since you don't own anything I'll assume you don't have a clue. It ONE form-You piss more time away at TMO filling out forms.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, you WANT to go the Trust route.  Its faster, AND less likely to get denied. Why anyone still does the Cgall have LEO is beyond me.  Its just asking for trouble.

How is it less likely to get denied? If you can legally own them you wont be denied. Its only easier for the signature.

Link Posted: 5/14/2008 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What are you talking about- just fill out a 5320 every 3 years.

I move with my stuff, not hard.

Whats more difficult?

The only problem I could see is if he moves to a state where NFA stuff is a no go.

I don't have a good answer for you, OP.  Except to dash your hopes of getting that glock.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Is there a clause, forming of LLC, or other loophole where I could store the weapon in state if I move overseas or PCS to a state that doesn't allow the weapons??

(M22) If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have? [Back]

NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

The firearms may also be transferred under the procedures referred to in Question M15 or abandoned to ATF.

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m22
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Gents

Just wanted to say thanks for those who chimmed in...especially the mil who have gone through this. Yes, it's just one form...but as I stated, a State may not be friendly so I can store the items in my state of residence under lock and key and be fine.

Bravo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Actually, you WANT to go the Trust route.  Its faster, AND less likely to get denied. Why anyone still does the CLEO is beyond me.  Its just asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He no doubt has stupid CLEOs.

Mine signs off in less than a week.  I have gotten to know his secretary and I work with her directly.  I shot her an email this week as a matter of fact and said "Hey, I've got some paperwork on a machine gun I'd like to get the Sheriff to sign, I'll bring it by tomorrow."  She replied "Ok, great, I'll have it to you by next week."  And she will probably have it sooner.  I've gotten 24 hour turnaround before.  It's not "asking for trouble" at all, it's a minor inconvenience and I prefer to have the guns in my name rather than that of a trust or LLC...but if he ever stops signing off, I'll go trust or LLC.

ETA: Actually, I'm pretty sure a primary function of her job is processing NFA paperwork and putting it in front of him.  When I took the papers in and said they were for Ms. ___ the lady at the front desk knew what it was and gave it a cursory glance to make sure I'd filled them out properly.  I think I have a good CLEO.  He's a democrat, by the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top