Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 1:29:20 PM EDT
How did the 94 AWB affect Class III?  I wasn't a gun owner at the time so I don't know.  Could you still buy suppressors and create SBR's during the ban?  All that mattered was that it had to be used on a pre-ban firearm?

Since we're going that far with it, would Class III change IF the new proposed ban passed?

Before I get flamed for "not contacting my reps" or "giving up and buying everything I can before the ban" like in GD, I am just honestly wanting to get educated on this particular topic.  Google was not my friend on this one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If has not happened yet, nor will I worry about Y3K
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to be a smart ass, but 1994 happened 13 years ago...  

My main question is about the situation with the 94 ban.  Everything else was just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, threaded barrels and the suppressors you attached to them were covered by the ban. Even though the cans themselves are also NFA.

The suppressors were also considered flash hiders, which was one of the banned features during the awb.

Pre-ban gun you could have a threaded barrel and a can
post ban gun - no threads/can
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply!

so purchasing a can for a pre-ban firearm during the ban was not allowed?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
read what i wrote.

preban = yes
post ban = no
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you said you could have a suppressor.  That implies that if you already had one, you were okay.  Which was pretty obvious from the get-go.  I was asking if you could purchase a new one while the ban was enforced.  There is a slight difference there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, you could buy one. just like you could buy upper receivers, telestocks, and every other banned whatever.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked the same question a while back.
I wondered if you could have a no-ban rifle in SBR form, since it was NFA.
The answer was no.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The answer was no.

I thought you could SBR a postban--but it had to have postban features.

Please correct me if I'm wrong--thought I had read it somewhere awhile ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The answer was no.

I thought you could SBR a postban--but it had to have postban features.

Please correct me if I'm wrong--thought I had read it somewhere awhile ago.

You could SBR a post-ban, but it had to stay post ban features.
I was more interested in a cheap way around the 94 Ban than having an SBR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
During the AWB, you could SBR anything you wanted, but the NFA did NOT supercede the AWB.  Your Post-Ban semi-auto that was SBR'd could NOT have 2 or more of the restricted features.  Furthermore, attaching an NFA suppressor to your semi-auto counted as a flash hider, so if your firearm was a Post-Ban and already had 1 restricted feature (like a pistol grip), then attaching your suppressor counted as restricted feature #2 and created a new AW in violation.

Your Pre-Ban semi-autos were Form 1able without restriction during the AWB, exactly like today.

The AWB did not apply to MGs or any manually-operated NFA rifles or shotguns.  Suppressors were, in themselves, not effected by the AWB, but the firearm to which they were attached was.

922r does not apply to NFA firearms and this is what confuses people sometimes.  The AWB and 922r were not the same legislation, though they are commonly mistaken for each other.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
During the AWB, you could SBR anything you wanted, but the NFA did NOT supercede the AWB.  Your Post-Ban semi-auto that was SBR'd could NOT have 2 or more of the restricted features.  Furthermore, attaching an NFA suppressor to your semi-auto counted as a flash hider, so if your firearm was a Post-Ban and already had 1 restricted feature (like a pistol grip), then attaching your suppressor counted as restricted feature #2 and created a new AW in violation.

Your Pre-Ban semi-autos were Form 1able without restriction during the AWB, exactly like today.

The AWB did not apply to MGs or any manually-operated NFA rifles or shotguns.  Suppressors were, in themselves, not effected by the AWB, but the firearm to which they were attached was.

922r does not apply to NFA firearms and this is what confuses people sometimes.  The AWB and 922r were not the same legislation, though they are commonly mistaken for each other.

Exactly....922r put restrictions ont he IMPORTATION of NON SPORTING RIFLES. NFA weapons are by definition "non sporting". The AWB was about evil features on US and Foreign made guns. Completely diffedrent legislation. THe AWB is gone and 922r is still in full effect.

BTW weapons are not Class 3. That is the type SOT a Dealer has. They are Title II weapons.

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

BTW weapons are not Class 3. That is the type SOT a Dealer has. They are Title II weapons.

Bomber

Didn't you just post in the class 3 forum?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

Didn't you just post in the class 3 forum?

I think I did......just an effort to edumicate

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#15]
...and education was the purpose of this thread!

Thanks for all of the replies and for this little history lesson!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Can you all learn me on the origin of the phrase Title 1 and Title II, please?

I know it must be related to the USC, or NFA but I dont know the history there...

B
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can you all learn me on the origin of the phrase Title 1 and Title II, please?

I know it must be related to the USC, or NFA but I dont know the history there...

B

I'll take a stab at this--please correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

Title I and Title II refer to the type of firearms and are titles of part of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Title I are long guns, handguns, frames/receivers, and silencers. Title II, or National Firearms Act (NFA) are machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifle/shotguns, destructive devices, and "any other weapon" that doesn't fit under the definitions of either Title I or Title II.

HTH
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Title I and Title II refer to the type of firearms and are titles of part of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Title I are long guns, handguns, frames/receivers, and silencers. Title II, or National Firearms Act (NFA) are machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifle/shotguns, destructive devices, and "any other weapon" that doesn't fit under the definitions of either Title I or Title II.

HTH

Silencers/suppressors are also Title II.

While it's true the Class 3 refers to the license and not the type of firearm, it has colloquially come to mean the same thing.  Whether you use Title II or Class 3 to desribe your hobby, people will be communicating effectively using either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HTH

You're right...the problem however becomes people think they need a Class 3 license to own a suppressor/machine gun/SBR. I hear it all day long .

Bomber

Silencers/suppressors are also Title II.

While it's true the Class 3 refers to the license and not the type of firearm, it has colloquially come to mean the same thing.  Whether you use Title II or Class 3 to desribe your hobby, people will be communicating effectively using either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top